PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Opinion?

GreenBlue
03-15-2013, 08:48 PM
Hey everyone, I'm still coming along with getting my lawn service started, but I came across the funniest thing today and I wanted to share it and see other opinions on this one, because I couldn't resist. Ok there's this guy that owns a lawn service and he's driving around town advertising lawn care and carpet cleaning??? Obviously I'm not by any means doing this one, but what is your take on this situation? Just couldn't pass this up because I've never heard of it. :)

Hedgemaster
03-15-2013, 08:58 PM
Sounds like desperation. I wouldn't hire someone like that.

GreenBlue
03-15-2013, 09:34 PM
Sounds like desperation. I wouldn't hire someone like that.

Yeah that's sort of what I was thinking, I took one look at that and I was like are you serious? LOL.

SECTLANDSCAPING
03-15-2013, 09:57 PM
I seen a van set up with the commercial carpet cleaning equipment while cutting grass. The guy was charging $100 for a 8x10 room. He ended up making about $500 in 3 hours at that house while I cut the grass for $80 for 45 mins.

I do chimney sweeping, sealcoating, thought about curbing and window washing. I figure its easier to get a little bit of each market then dominate one.

GreenBlue
03-15-2013, 10:02 PM
I seen a van set up with the commercial carpet cleaning equipment while cutting grass. The guy was charging $100 for a 8x10 room. He ended up making about $500 in 3 hours at that house while I cut the grass for $80 for 45 mins.

I do chimney sweeping, sealcoating, thought about curbing and window washing. I figure its easier to get a little bit of each market then dominate one.

That makes sense, but I don't think I would advertise lawn care and carpet cleaning together, that just doesn't send a good message at least to me any way. Hopefully he's making money though and its at least respectable that he has two different types of businesses.

SECTLANDSCAPING
03-15-2013, 10:11 PM
That makes sense, but I don't think I would advertise lawn care and carpet cleaning together, that just doesn't send a good message at least to me any way. Hopefully he's making money though and its at least respectable that he has two different types of businesses.

might only have one truck. I personally only advertise 3-4 services on mine but its cause it would get overcrowded. I think if you put up 10 things and someone started to read them they might crash.

GreenBlue
03-16-2013, 11:50 AM
might only have one truck. I personally only advertise 3-4 services on mine but its cause it would get overcrowded. I think if you put up 10 things and someone started to read them they might crash.

Yeah that wouldn't be good.

dpld
03-16-2013, 03:27 PM
Hey everyone, I'm still coming along with getting my lawn service started, but I came across the funniest thing today and I wanted to share it and see other opinions on this one, because I couldn't resist. Ok there's this guy that owns a lawn service and he's driving around town advertising lawn care and carpet cleaning??? Obviously I'm not by any means doing this one, but what is your take on this situation? Just couldn't pass this up because I've never heard of it. :)

maybe he has two businesses but only can afford 1 truck.
i will admit it is a unusual combination but he could also be a carpet cleaner by trade and is working into lawn care or vise versa.

i have a local guy by me who is a house painter/ landscaper and it don't get no more opposite then that and his business is huge.

the way i see it is if you choose to be a landscaper then you should concentrate all your efforts on selling every service related to the landscape trade before you venture into other things.

power washing has nothing to do with landscaping and neither does gutter cleaning but a lot of guys on here do it as well.

in the end you got to do what you got to do to make a living and if it is working for him then more power to him.
carpet cleaning pays better then cutting grass.

ratchetmaster2
03-16-2013, 10:28 PM
These different services all draw a similar sort of person. Someone who is good at manual labor. Good with their hands, good at detail work, etc.

Why not landscaping, carpet cleaning, and drywall? You just need a truck, skilled hands, and an eye for detail. You can do it with anything. Painting, hardwood floors, tile, drywall, carpentry, plumbing, electrical, roofing, whatever you want.

It's just another avenue to reach the destination of a paycheck.

Don't put all your eggs in one basket.

Personally, I've never seen something like that, but if the guy can get the stains out of my carpet, then hey.

I just got an idea, how about this:
On the driver's side of your truck, put your landscaping info on.
On the passenger side, put your carpet cleaning info on.
double advertising while fooling the masses!

GreenBlue
03-17-2013, 04:20 PM
After giving it much thought, it does make sense though because where I live we have some harsh Summer's and most of the time in August mowing is impossible because of lack of rain and the grass turning brown, so by him having carpet cleaning he's still making money while other lawn services are struggling and doing odd jobs or other one-time jobs to have money coming in. Its just the first thought that made me laugh, because it was something I wasn't expecting, but after looking at it from this point of view its actually a pretty cool combination.

Steve
03-18-2013, 12:45 PM
It might be interesting, if you ever get a chance, to ask him how he decided to go with those two services. I bet there is an interesting back story to it.

GreenBlue
03-18-2013, 08:09 PM
It might be interesting, if you ever get a chance, to ask him how he decided to go with those two services. I bet there is an interesting back story to it.

I would love to be able to meet him and ask him, every since I saw him the other day when I go some place I am looking for his truck.

Steve
03-19-2013, 10:45 AM
You can also check on craigslist or the like. Maybe do a quick search on the internet for those services in your area.

ratchetmaster2
03-19-2013, 08:13 PM
I would love to be able to meet him and ask him, every since I saw him the other day when I go some place I am looking for his truck.

I bet he's not that much different than you are. He's probably just a guy who realized he could make more money