PDA

View Full Version : Walk behind mower

J SAL
03-14-2013, 08:07 PM
Just looking for some info. on some walk behind mowers. I would like something 30-34" self propelled. Also this mower needs to be stabile and durable to do some pretty steep banks and ditches. I use a 21" Honda and it does a pretty good job. Just looking to save time.

SECTLANDSCAPING
03-14-2013, 10:18 PM
Just looking for some info. on some walk behind mowers. I would like something 30-34" self propelled. Also this mower needs to be stabile and durable to do some pretty steep banks and ditches. I use a 21" Honda and it does a pretty good job. Just looking to save time.

you wont save much time. I think exmark and toro are the only ones that make a mower that size.

ratchetmaster2
03-15-2013, 12:46 AM
I agree with what SECT said. I was also looking for a 30-36" walk-behind, but it's not very practical.
First of all, barely any brands sell one, and for good reason.
Second, by the time you unload the much heavier machine, and load it back up, you could have done the same work with a 22" 85lb Honda push mower.

It's kind of a hard place because most gates are 36", so you want something to get through the gate, but it's not really money well spent.

Steve
03-15-2013, 01:42 PM
What size mower would you recommend him getting?

ratchetmaster2
03-15-2013, 10:00 PM
I would say to shoot for at least a 38".

The way I look at it, a 22" Toro or Honda weighs ~80lbs. They run about ~3-3.5mph? It takes 10 seconds to load and unload. With your arms, no ramps.

If you have one of these big walk-behinds, they weigh a couple hundred pounds. At this level, you probably only have ramps for your pick-up truck. Ramps are kinda dangerous, as they can easily slip out. It's happened to me. Takes 5 mins to get it out, another 5 minutes to get it back in.

Then you're free to mow the lawn at...6mph? Most yards would be half done with the push mower if you wanted to use a 30" mower anyway.

On top of all that, the walk-behinds cost several hundred dollars more, need much more maintenance, etc.

I know how it is, believe me. I really wanted a small walk-behind, but it didn't work out in a smart way.

Steve
03-18-2013, 12:38 PM
I would like something 30-34" self propelled

J Sal, has this information effected your view of what you might do for your next mower upgrade?

rockymtnnut
03-18-2013, 05:41 PM
A 48 hydro at the minimum turf tracer exmark. you need a trailer and if you haven't bought a trailer yet it will fit between the wheel wells of a full size pickup truck. they stripe real nice cut way faster than I push mower and you'll have something you can make money with and be profitable .

J SAL
03-18-2013, 07:18 PM
I have larger equipment. 2 60" zero turns 1 757 jd ,1 kabota d323 ,1 48" rider jd. I was just looking for some info. on a larger pusher. I have few lawns that
I cant use any of the riders do to the grade of the banks. I dont want to spend 2-3 grand on a 36". I dont think it wound be cost affective with using it on a few lawns. Maybe I should look at getting rid of the 48" jd and purchasing a 42" walk behind.

Matther777
03-18-2013, 07:38 PM
32" Wright stander fits throught gates like a champ.

B-2 Lawncare
03-19-2013, 09:33 AM
I agree with what SECT said. I was also looking for a 30-36" walk-behind, but it's not very practical.
First of all, barely any brands sell one, and for good reason.
Second, by the time you unload the much heavier machine, and load it back up, you could have done the same work with a 22" 85lb Honda push mower.

It's kind of a hard place because most gates are 36", so you want something to get through the gate, but it's not really money well spent.

You guys must be stoned. My 36" JD will mow twice as much as a 22" in the same time. And pull me around while doing it.

rockymtnnut
03-19-2013, 09:51 AM
You guys must be stoned. My 36" JD will mow twice as much as a 22" in the same time. And pull me around while doing it.

yeah I couldn't agree more there some bad advice coming around on this forum, since when is gaining twice the speed and 15 inches per swipe not going to gain you anything. if you want to be profitable you must cut with the largest lime or you can get in the gate. if you really want to be profitable you stay away from gates. this is not 1950 commercial walk behind lawn mowers make a lot of money. how much revenue do you really think you're going to generate using a push mower. I've used Exmark 36 inch hydro that was a pretty nice little piece of equipment. Skag also makes a nice 1 with v rides.

B-2 Lawncare
03-19-2013, 10:32 AM
Here we run all John Deere, because they have taken care of us, last year we had a mower go down on a Friday, they sent the service truck out at 5pm and drove 90 miles one way to come and fix it. And then only charged the minimum.
Even if you can't afford new, find a dealer who can find you a used one at what cost you can justify. The reason I recommend this so that you can start to build a working relationship with the dealer.