PDA

View Full Version : Hoping to come in strong this year - can you help?

ratchetmaster2
03-13-2013, 01:43 AM
Howdy fellow forum members and lawn care operators,

I'm trying to really make a big impact this year in my area with landscaping and lawn maintenance. I'm 18 years old and a full-time student, but I have ample free time.
I'm running into a few issues. This year I want to get licensed, insured, uniforms, business cards, website, magnets or decals for my vehicle. I want to really look professional and act the part too.

Here are my issues: company name. Currently, I use "Lucky Lawn Cuts". But I am not invested in the name. The problem is, I feel it is a bit cheesy. I don't know how I feel wearing that name on my back, on my truck, on my tax forms, etc. Some people say it's catchy, and I'm so tired of Green this and Green that. It's so overdone. In my area there's already Greenbird, Greensweep, TruGreen, Greenburg, Greener Grasses, and a bunch others I don't even know.
Give me your honest opinion please. I want a name that I will be happy with even in 10 years on the phone.

Another issue is my truck. I have a 1994 Nissan truck. It's a little loud, dirty, and has faded paint. I have it up for sale right now, but I don't want to get caught in the middle of an active work week without a truck. Even after I sell my truck, I'm not sure I can afford a preferred replacement. I'm very interested in a 1999-2005 F-250. I always buy condition, and a decent one runs about $8-9k.
I know I want a bigger, nicer truck, but do I really need one? I'll rarely be pulling a trailer, but I will be loading it up with mulch, sand, stone, etc regularly.

I just wanted some real advice from the experts and professionals in the business. Thanks guys

Steve
03-13-2013, 01:27 PM
Well let's start with the name. Where did it come from and why did you choose it? A good name usually comes from a good meaning.

jsslawncare
03-13-2013, 02:21 PM
Pick your name and have your truck repainted for now. Move up to a better truck in a few years.

stevef1201
03-13-2013, 04:01 PM
Go ahead and hire a branding comapny-they will come up with a really good name and logo. cost about 2000. then sink about 25000 into really cool mowers and equipment, oh yea go a head and buy a 50000 landscape truck. While your at it hire 3 or 4 guys.

Then while you go broke, declare bankruptcy, and hide, someone else will take over.

Name your company, NOT the same as anyother in the are, That one is fine, get the exhaust fixed, and repaint the ugly thing.

Dress in slacks, clean polo shirt, shaved, haircut, carry a clipboard, business cards, etc. when going on estimates. Speak clearly, without slang when talking to cutomers.

ratchetmaster2
03-14-2013, 02:09 AM
Well let's start with the name. Where did it come from and why did you choose it? A good name usually comes from a good meaning.
I don't remember actually. I looked back and I have craigslist ads from the beginning of 2011 using the title Lucky Lawn Cuts. I tried a lot of different things back then. Another name I used was Matt's Mowers - A cut above the rest. I thought that one was the silliest, but it got a bunch of calls.

Pick your name and have your truck repainted for now. Move up to a better truck in a few years.
That's what I'm leaning toward. If I sell my truck now and try to jump up several levels to an upgrade, I won't have much left in my savings.

Go ahead and hire a branding comapny-they will come up with a really good name and logo. cost about 2000. then sink about 25000 into really cool mowers and equipment, oh yea go a head and buy a 50000 landscape truck. While your at it hire 3 or 4 guys.

Then while you go broke, declare bankruptcy, and hide, someone else will take over.

Name your company, NOT the same as anyother in the are, That one is fine, get the exhaust fixed, and repaint the ugly thing.

Dress in slacks, clean polo shirt, shaved, haircut, carry a clipboard, business cards, etc. when going on estimates. Speak clearly, without slang when talking to cutomers.

LOL. No thanks. I manage my money very well. I rarely buy any equipment new (let someone else pay for the depreciation), and I would never go into debt over something. It doesn't even cross my mind. If I'm wondering if I can afford something, I just look at my bank. I'm very presentable and proper, so it's easy for the most part. I just have a bad habit of getting dirty easily. Kinda comes with the job, right?

I wanted to ask about uniforms. The shirt is pretty simple. A white t-shirt with the logo and phone number on the back. What about pants? Jeans are cheap and durable, but a bit tacky. What about tan khakis? They look nicer, but isn't it silly to wear semi-nice clothes on a job where you're going to get dirty and dusty?
For example, today I was mulching, I couldn't help having to kneel, and the knees of my jeans were instantly dyed black. How could this problem be dealt with?
What about footware? Of course not sandals or anything silly like that, but tennis shoes, or boots? Boots are kinda heavy and expensive.

Steve
03-14-2013, 11:53 AM
Ultimately, I'd agree to pick a name that is different than others in your area and go for it. Then build up the brand of it.

If you experimented with different names and found one got you more calls than others, that might be one to stick with.

Keep us posted on what you decide to go with.

The Cleaning Doctor
03-14-2013, 01:29 PM
A catchy one that plays on the one you have now is Leprachaun Lawn Care. It also stays with the green color scheme.

You can also abreviate it LLC LLC.....:D

Ducke
03-14-2013, 06:11 PM
Here is a little something I came up with real fast but it kind of stick with what you are using now . I think you could run with this maybe have a graphics person do up a real nice logo along the same lines.

ratchetmaster2
03-15-2013, 12:18 AM
A catchy one that plays on the one you have now is Leprachaun Lawn Care. It also stays with the green color scheme.

You can also abreviate it LLC LLC.....:D

I was thinking of Leprechaun actually, but it's kinda hard to spell. Actually, my spellchecker says you just misspelled it. I would predict this being an especially big problem when people want to go to my website.

I did realize that it would be LLC LLC. Kinda cool, but I don't know if I could use it. Maybe a website be LLCLLC to make it easier for customers? But Lucky Lawn Cuts is already kinda easy.

Here is a little something I came up with real fast but it kind of stick with what you are using now . I think you could run with this maybe have a graphics person do up a real nice logo along the same lines.
Thanks a lot! That means a lot. That's better than I could make on my own.
"Lucky's Lawn Care" I actually like that a lot more.

I want to use Lucky Lawn Cuts, but I'm a bit worried people might get the wrong idea. That I ONLY do lawn mowing. I like mowing lawns, but I realize that I earn much more money doing other projects, such as mulching, gutters, planting, clean-up, etc.

Steve
03-15-2013, 01:23 PM
You can alter the name to something like Lucky Property Care.

Here is a St. Patty's day flyer you could alter for your need.

http://www.gopherforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=172&d=1214390825

From the free lawn care flyer template (http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=7200) section.

ratchetmaster2
03-15-2013, 04:59 PM
Wow Steve! thanks a lot. On my internet browser, I've had a tab open for the free templates section of this forum for about a week, just waiting for me to have time to read it.

Too bad St. Patrick's is the day after tomorrow. Not enough time for me to really get flyers out there.

Steve
03-18-2013, 12:12 PM
You're welcome. I'd say look through there some more because there are other holidays and seasons coming up that you can now get a jump on.

Keep us posted on what you decide to do.