PDA

View Full Version : Under Armor

Steve
02-01-2008, 11:29 AM
There is an article on MSNBC about the company Under Armor. Have you ever purchased any of their products? Do you have any thoughts on them or their brand?

This is interested because one of our forum members is starting his own clothing line so getting a little behind the scenes of Under Armor and how they got their start might help James with his company.

Under Armour steps into footwear field (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22918627/) - The CEO, who started conceiving the first UA shirts while a student at the University of Maryland in the mid-1990s, says the Prototype line is a big step in transforming the company.

"Under Armour is identified with performance the way Starbucks is identified with better coffee, and that is a huge advantage in entering new categories," says independent marketing consultant Dennis Keene.

The value of most clothing seems to be in the value of the brand because most of this stuff is made of the same material from one brand to another.

StartALawnCareBusiness
02-01-2008, 06:20 PM
I use Under Armor as my base layer when I mtn. bike and play sports in cold weather. They have a really good product but it is pricey.

Branding is important with products like this because a purchaser knows what he is going to get from a standpoint of quality. My favorite Under Armor shirt is 3 years old and I have easily worn it 150 times. It still fits like new.

I am not a brand junkie at all and I would readily pay $20 less to buy the same quality with no name brand on it but U.A.'s quality is undeniable. I use Duofold and some other no name stuff which all work great in moderately cold weather but none of those off brand products stand up to abuse like I have seen with UA.

UA has a great marketing campaign going too. Every week in the Dick's Sporting Goods ads you see these super buff athletes wearing their shirts.

Their logo is distinctive. The shirt I wear is black with a high collar. Their logo is bright white right at the neck and every time I wear it someone asks me how I like it.

I have a lot of experience with sports footwear. I am skeptical that UA is just going to produce a moderate quality shoe that will sell strictly because of its brand name. That will be disappointing.

Keith

All Aspects Landscaping
02-02-2008, 12:14 AM
hey steve** good looking out man... i appreciate you posting on my account... as my clothing line started out to be just a hobby, I havent put a great amount of time into "the future" of the company...but I guess its time that I should... Since december, Ive gotten alot of questions and interest about the company, in fact, a store in OC new jersey has contacted me. They want me to send samples down once we get them produced... One my issues is that I dont have any experience in this industry, only the "clothes on my back" I appreciate all the help the members here have given me, not I better do some reading up on UA... BTW they do put out an awesome product...

and Keith, I noticed you seem to be an outdoorsy guy... mt biking and all, dont know if you wear em, but give KEENS a chance... i think they are an excellent product.

J

StartALawnCareBusiness
02-02-2008, 01:32 AM
Quote[/b] ]but give KEENS a chance

Not familiar with them.

I will def. check them out and give 'em a try.

All Aspects Landscaping
02-02-2008, 01:54 AM
zappos seems to have a great selection of them... I have 6 pairs of keens and wear them at least 5 times a week

Steve
02-02-2008, 06:03 AM
Quote[/b] ]I have a lot of experience with sports footwear. I am skeptical that UA is just going to produce a moderate quality shoe that will sell strictly because of its brand name. That will be disappointing.

I think that Under Armor has a chance. Why? Because they are hungry for it. It really seems from what I have read that they are pulling out all the stops to make this happen.

When Phil Knight started Nike, or actually even before it was Nike, he was selling sneakers out of the trunk of his car at track and field events, that he imported from Nike.

However, Nike is HUGE and will be very tough to compete against, but I do think it can be done.

Steve
02-02-2008, 06:05 AM
Let's take a look at their stock. As far as I know, it currently is down because of competition in their shirt market as well as they exploration into the shoe business.

Would you buy their stock? Do you think they have what it takes to be in this for the long haul?

LGYardService
02-03-2008, 01:34 AM
Hey everyone,

All i have to say about Under Armour is....amazing! LOL
I wear some kind of under armour product almost every single day! Mainly for my running...cold weather right now....but also in the warmer parts of the year. They're original product is just the Coldgear Mock Turtleneck and thats pretty much what I have been wearin lately. http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Now days, they have all kinds of apperal, shoes, bags, heck they even make their own footballs. LOL

Luke

musician/lawnman
03-04-2008, 06:51 PM
Both My kids brothers swear by UA. They play highschool football & say it helps avoid chaffing. They wear it for the same reason when surfing or boogie boarding.

Steve
03-04-2008, 07:22 PM
Chuck,

Would you buy stock in the company?