PDA

View Full Version : Ooops

SECTLANDSCAPING
03-11-2013, 11:04 PM
I was cleaning up a bit. I move my Redmax hedge trimmer and notice gas in it. I look over everything else and my Stihl backpack too. Major brain fart! At least I never used the Stihl but my Redmax hedge trimmer.:eek: If it wasnt my job to check these things, someone would be in trouble.

Looks like ill be cleaning some carbs tomorrow.

Sprinkler Buddy
03-12-2013, 12:30 AM
"If it wasnt my job to check these things, someone would be in trouble."

lol

Steve
03-12-2013, 12:21 PM
Was it able to start? Was the gas left in it all winter?

SECTLANDSCAPING
03-12-2013, 12:45 PM
Was it able to start? Was the gas left in it all winter?
no start, yeah I left it in since october or november.

FaccLndscpng
03-12-2013, 03:50 PM
I have seen advertisments for "Start" supposedly its perfect for this exact situation.

http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/start_your_engines/

I have never used it but maybe it will work and avoid you from having to clean the carbs.

SECTLANDSCAPING
03-12-2013, 04:27 PM
I have seen advertisments for "Start" supposedly its perfect for this exact situation.

I have never used it but maybe it will work and avoid you from having to clean the carbs.

already cleaned them. It only takes 10 mins or so to do. I didnt try to start them but they should be good to go. There wasnt any crud and all the gaskets were good.

wandfsmall
03-12-2013, 07:09 PM

I never had any luck with that stuff, I would however recommend Mechanic in a Bottle for ethanol based carb problems. It seems to work well.

wandfsmall
03-12-2013, 07:12 PM
already cleaned them. It only takes 10 mins or so to do. I didnt try to start them but they should be good to go. There wasnt any crud and all the gaskets were good.

Anymore it takes me a lot longer then that by the time I pop the welch plugs, clean it with carb cleaner and soak it in the ultrasonic cleaner before putting them back together. But I also will not do one without using a kit anymore, the gaskets just don't always seal right after tearing them apart and I hate doing work over.

SECTLANDSCAPING
03-12-2013, 07:45 PM
Anymore it takes me a lot longer then that by the time I pop the welch plugs, clean it with carb cleaner and soak it in the ultrasonic cleaner before putting them back together. But I also will not do one without using a kit anymore, the gaskets just don't always seal right after tearing them apart and I hate doing work over.

I didnt go that far in. I just wanted to drain it and clean the old gas out. Ill know when I fire it up if it needs a thorough cleaning or kit. I did put some unmixed stabil in tank and primed it in the carb to mix with any leftovers. Should be good to go.

This is weird though. I have a pressure washer with a 9hp subaru. I left gas in this one too. :mad: Anyways it fired right up. This was untreated gas from september. WTF?

I usually treat the first run and last run before storage but I'm slipping.

willshome
03-12-2013, 09:12 PM
that is how I was but now I always treat. Mid summer I treat lite (I treat 5 gallons the way you should treat one). In the fall I run heavy treatment to clean out the carb for the winter

wandfsmall
03-13-2013, 08:52 AM
I didnt go that far in. I just wanted to drain it and clean the old gas out. Ill know when I fire it up if it needs a thorough cleaning or kit. I did put some unmixed stabil in tank and primed it in the carb to mix with any leftovers. Should be good to go.

This is weird though. I have a pressure washer with a 9hp subaru. I left gas in this one too. :mad: Anyways it fired right up. This was untreated gas from september. WTF?

I can see that when your doing it yourself. I just can not afford to do it twice, as customers will not pay me to do it twice I have to do it correct the first time.

I have started telling customers not to use stabil as it does not seem to work with ethanol, I suggest ethanol shield or startron.