PDA

View Full Version : Should You Operate 7 Days Per Week

GreenBlue
03-09-2013, 04:32 PM
Hello,

I am currently in the works of starting a lawn service, and I was wondering should you only mow lawns 5 days per week, 6 days per week, or 7 days per week? I know its all about how much money you want to make, but I also need a family life too. My plans are once I get enough accounts and can do so to hire a few workers to do practically everything for me, but its getting up to that point that my question is directed to. Any help is greatly appreciated, and I am not looking for negative comments.

cutnuplawnservice
03-09-2013, 06:07 PM
Hello,

I am currently in the works of starting a lawn service, and I was wondering should you only mow lawns 5 days per week, 6 days per week, or 7 days per week? I know its all about how much money you want to make, but I also need a family life too. My plans are once I get enough accounts and can do so to hire a few workers to do practically everything for me, but its getting up to that point that my question is directed to. Any help is greatly appreciated, and I am not looking for negative comments.

I'm committing to a 5 day work week. In the past it worked out great. Of course I never turn down an "emergency" service on one of my days off ;)

dpld
03-09-2013, 08:00 PM
i stick to a 40 hour week unless we are very busy because overtime and payroll taxes kills me.
i never operated on sundays and never will unless it is plowing snow or pulling a felled tree off of a house in a emergency situation.

when i serviced all residential i tried to avoid saturdays when possible because most people that work during the week don't want to spend their day off listening to the neighbors landscaper firing up the mower at 8 am as well as saturdays is when all the kids are home and running about and it is just not worth it.

most people would view a professional landscaper working on sundays in my area in a bad light but i guess that all depends on what area of the country you live in.

SECTLANDSCAPING
03-09-2013, 08:06 PM
I set a 3 day schedule. This give me rain days and two free days to pick up one time jobs. Almost every week Ill work five days but it never effects my regulars. Ill only quote on weekends unless a job from friday falls into the next day.

Cashin H&P
03-09-2013, 09:31 PM
6 days a week is what Im shooting for this year. 5 days for resi's and 1 day for commercials.

grass guru
03-10-2013, 06:29 AM
I run 4 days. Never work on Sundays except snow plowing. I never mow residentials on Saturdays. Commercials are Monday and Tuesday. Resi are Tuesday through Thursday, with rain day on Friday if needed.
What would you do if it rained for 2 days straight? How about a family emergency?
I agree w/dpld as far as Sundays. Also, thats my day at home w/the family. Sometimes Saturday is work, sometimes play.

ratchetmaster2
03-10-2013, 09:55 AM
6 days a week is what Im shooting for this year. 5 days for resi's and 1 day for commercials.

This seems like a good idea to me. Especially if the commercial properties are handled on Saturday. No neighbors to wake up or annoy.

Makes me wonder how these part-time guys do it. The guys who have full time jobs and mow lawns in their spare time with their wives.

Caskey Lawns & Landscapes
03-10-2013, 11:19 AM
I usually schedule residentials for wed..thur..fri...

mulching..planting..etc.... on mon & tue....

quite a few customers like the lawns done at the end of the week so it looks good for the weekend.....

I try to save Saturdays for estimates,etc...

aduttonater
03-10-2013, 12:15 PM
If you mow laws on a weekly basis I would continue to mow certain yards on those days that you are schedule too.

You will have repeat customers and one time customers.

Always take care of your current customers on time, and always make room to take on more.

Once you have too many, you may need to re adjust your business plan by taking on more jobs in one day, hiring someone to help you, or outsourcing the work to someone else.

You never want to turn down jobs, because that is like turning down money.

willshome
03-10-2013, 06:51 PM
I set a 3 day schedule. This give me rain days and two free days to pick up one time jobs. Almost every week Ill work five days but it never effects my regulars. Ill only quote on weekends unless a job from friday falls into the next day.
everyone forgets about rain and things breaking. I do the same and have jobs like much that I tell them it will be done in the next two weeks and fit those in the other days.

and on the seventh day he rested

Steve
03-11-2013, 02:49 PM
I was wondering should you only mow lawns 5 days per week, 6 days per week, or 7 days per week?

Are you currently that busy where you need to work all 7 days at times or are you just looking into the future and trying to plan out your time and when you will need to hire staff?

GreenBlue
03-11-2013, 06:03 PM
I appreciate everyone's feedback, and I have decided to operate Monday through Friday, with an occasional service done on a weekend day if its absolutely needed. My next few questions are 1) if you operate in this fashion what happens if it rains and 2) how should you schedule services if they end up on an holiday?

GreenBlue
03-11-2013, 06:07 PM
Are you currently that busy where you need to work all 7 days at times or are you just looking into the future and trying to plan out your time and when you will need to hire staff?

I'm not open yet, very soon though. Just trying to see what's the best way to operate, and I got a lot of excellent feedback regarding my question.

SECTLANDSCAPING
03-11-2013, 09:19 PM
I appreciate everyone's feedback, and I have decided to operate Monday through Friday, with an occasional service done on a weekend day if its absolutely needed. My next few questions are 1) if you operate in this fashion what happens if it rains and 2) how should you schedule services if they end up on an holiday?

Like I said I run 3 days a week to prevent rain delays.
Crew 1 runs Mon, Wed, and Friday.
Crew 2 runs Tues, Wed, Thurs.
Crew 1 rain days are tues and thurs.
Crew 2 rain days are Fri and Mon

If your knew I would worry about filling up one full day of work before worrying about working seven days a week.

GreenBlue
03-12-2013, 02:20 PM
Like I said I run 3 days a week to prevent rain delays.
Crew 1 runs Mon, Wed, and Friday.
Crew 2 runs Tues, Wed, Thurs.
Crew 1 rain days are tues and thurs.
Crew 2 rain days are Fri and Mon

If your knew I would worry about filling up one full day of work before worrying about working seven days a week.

I appreciate your feedback and plan on having this type of schedule when I get big enough to hire helpers. It will just be me and my best friend starting out, we are choosing to setup as an LLC for liability and separation reasons should he decide to no longer do it. Monday through Friday schedule will be perfect, and we understand it will take a little time to get customers to mow through the entire Monday through Friday schedule. We will be doing both commercial and residential. I am taking the Lawn Business School on this website to give myself more understanding of stuff.

djlandscaping06
03-12-2013, 05:18 PM
Hello,

My business is a side business besides my fulltime job, so I usually work every evening M-F and have 15 commerical properties that are on a every other week Saturday schedule. Use the off Saturday to make up resi's that get missed cause of rain or other mishaps. So I am pretty much on a six day schedule. Once in awhile get a Saturday off but never work Sundays save that for church and family!

Ducke
03-12-2013, 09:12 PM
NO :mad:.........

GreenBlue
03-13-2013, 10:23 AM
I really do appreciate everyone's feedback, very thankful for this website, because without it I'd be trying to look up information on Google and sometimes you know where that ends up taking you LOL. Anyway I haven't got anymore questions as of yet, but I'm more than willing and open to any further advice anyone wishes to provide. I'm also in the process of checking out the other posts on here, education seems to be lacking in my area with other lawn care business owners, so I'm trying to take advantage of learning what I can to stand out from them when I officially open my lawn service. :)

jsslawncare
03-13-2013, 03:09 PM
I work 4 days a week. I have divided my county into 4 zones. I do this to help save time and money. Number of days to work also depends on work load.

CHEESE2009
03-14-2013, 10:32 AM
Depends on how many clients you have, but 5 days a week should be your max.

If you don't have that many clients and you end up spreading them out, the lazy-train will hit you, and you'll have a slothy season.

Hedgemaster
03-14-2013, 09:40 PM

You have to plan for rain days.

I work alone. I don't work Sundays unless I have to.

I try to keep Wednesdays and Saturdays open, or at least "light".
That gives me a buffer if it rains.

If it rains on Monday and Tuesday, I have Wednesday to catch up.
If you have to push anyone more than 2 days past their regular day, you may as well skip it until the next week.
If it rains on Thursday, or Friday, I have Saturday to catch up.

It's not perfect, but it has worked for me. Those "open" days are also used for one-time jobs, hedge trimming, and things of that nature. It's hard to squeeze extras into an already busy mowing schedule.

GreenBlue
03-16-2013, 06:11 PM
You have to plan for rain days.

I work alone. I don't work Sundays unless I have to.

I try to keep Wednesdays and Saturdays open, or at least "light".
That gives me a buffer if it rains.

If it rains on Monday and Tuesday, I have Wednesday to catch up.
If you have to push anyone more than 2 days past their regular day, you may as well skip it until the next week.
If it rains on Thursday, or Friday, I have Saturday to catch up.

It's not perfect, but it has worked for me. Those "open" days are also used for one-time jobs, hedge trimming, and things of that nature. It's hard to squeeze extras into an already busy mowing schedule.

Thanks for the heads up.