PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Rookie, Help!!

brenharp
03-08-2013, 10:19 PM
Hi my name is Brenda and I'm from Nebraska. My husband is starting up a lawn care business part time. We have all the equipment need to start the jobs but he wants to mainly go commercial. He has tasked me with the business side of the job. I am currently working on a bid preposal and I'm not sure what all needs to be in it.
Cover Page( Personal note about us and what services we offer.
Bid Estitmate
Do I need to come up with a contract and send with estimate or wait until offer is accepted?
I'll stop with those questions for now but I'm sure I'll have more.
thanks

Sprinkler Buddy
03-09-2013, 09:01 AM
Doing this part time, you may want to start with some residential accounts. Around here it's unlikely to pick up commercial accounts unless you are already known in the area. Down the road replace your residential accounts with commercial accounts as you grow if you decide too go in that direction.

Be sure to leave on good terms, inform residential that you have decided to go in the commercial end of the business once your current contract is up with them.

Commercial accounts are more cut throat, personally I prefer residential. Smaller lawns usually and the $$$ is better most of the time. Easier to get caught back up after rain delays, etc... too.

Good luck in your new venture.

When sending an estimate, I would consider that as your contract, everything should be spelled out and the cost. They will not hire you and then discuss the terms and cost after the fact.

christw
03-10-2013, 07:00 PM
Make a list of the top 25 commercial properties you would like to take care of. Call those properties and ask who's the person in charge of your property and grounds.Dont ask to speak with them.If they transfer you just hang up. THe only information you want is there first and last name.Call back each of the companies on your list ask for the person by first name without us mr. or ms.This will help you to sound like you know this person and you will be more likely to make it past the gatekeeper.Once you get the person on the phonee make your brief pitch for an appointment, not for your services. All you're trying to get is the appointment. When you get to the appointment only talk about what the person is interested in at the end of 15 minutes tell them you have another appointment and you'll be glad to follow up with them later regarding their lawn care needs. As soon as you leave write and send a hand written thank you card to this person thanking them for their time.then a week later send the first follow up letter

ratchetmaster2
03-10-2013, 11:41 PM
make your brief pitch for an appointment, not for your services. All you're trying to get is the appointment. When you get to the appointment only talk about what the person is interested in

I'm so confused at these parts. "make a brief pitch"....about what??? If you aren't making a pitch about lawn services, how are you going to convince the person to waste their time on an appointment? Just make something up?

Then you say "only talk about what the person is interested in".
What does this even mean? The only thing the person is interested in at that point is the purpose of the appointment.
Or are you trying to say something like 'make a conversation about the pictures of their children on the desk, or a picture of a sailboat' kinda thing?

Steve
03-11-2013, 01:57 PM
Hello and welcome to out forum!

am currently working on a bid preposal and I'm not sure what all needs to be in it.
Cover Page( Personal note about us and what services we offer.
Bid Estitmate
Do I need to come up with a contract and send with estimate or wait until offer is accepted?

Here are some templates you may want to look at to help you.

Lawn care contracts (http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=7210)

Letters to property managers (http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=7209).

Lawn care estimate and proposal forms (http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=7199).

And all the other templates are here http://www.gopherforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34

Why are you looking to go commercial to start? Most tend to go residential for many reasons. They are usually smaller properties. Easier to bid. Less downside if you happen to lowball the price. You get a chance to learn the ropes with customers who are more forgiving. etc.

brenharp
03-12-2013, 11:03 AM
thanks everyone

Steve
03-12-2013, 11:46 AM
You are welcome. Keep us posted on how your plan goes or changes this year.