PDA

View Full Version : "can you cut it shorter and bag?"

Von Bobbeh
03-07-2013, 03:35 PM
I have a new customer, he's a good customer aside from the fact that he balked at me mowing at 2.5" and mulching and wants it at 1.5" bagged.

I tried to explain how cutting grass to low damages the plant and makes it more susceptible to weed infestation but he seems very set in his position.

I personally HATE hacking grass shorting than 2" - none the less bagging it but it's a easy-to-mow yard only 2 miles from where I live so I'd be a fool to drop service, the guy appears to be very social and I'd love to get his yard to full potential I know I can get referals from it.

Should I keep trying to convince him of the benefits of a taller lawn? or should I just remedy the problems with chemicals and de-thatching and make more money off his stubbornness?

Or am I the crazy one? Do any of you guys mow shorter than 2.5"? I was under the impression 2.5" was a little short to begin with.

SECTLANDSCAPING
03-07-2013, 03:38 PM
I mow at 3", I had a customer tell me to cut it shorter. I told him why I shouldnt. He insisted, so I did it. He called me a week later and dropped me because of how it looked.

dpld
03-07-2013, 03:45 PM
I have a new customer, he's a good customer aside from the fact that he balked at me mowing at 2.5" and mulching and wants it at 1.5" bagged.

I tried to explain how cutting grass to low damages the plant and makes it more susceptible to weed infestation but he seems very set in his position.

I personally HATE hacking grass shorting than 2" - none the less bagging it but it's a easy-to-mow yard only 2 miles from where I live so I'd be a fool to drop service, the guy appears to be very social and I'd love to get his yard to full potential I know I can get referals from it.

Should I keep trying to convince him of the benefits of a taller lawn? or should I just remedy the problems with chemicals and de-thatching and make more money off his stubbornness?

Or am I the crazy one? Do any of you guys mow shorter than 2.5"? I was under the impression 2.5" was a little short to begin with.

i never cut below 3 inches.

customers are all @zzhats and if it were not for their money i would have no use for any of them.

stevef1201
03-07-2013, 04:06 PM
The customer is NOT always right. If he is so insistent about this, tell 'my machine will not cut that low, I am sorry but you will have to find someone else who will destroy his machine to do that." then walk away. You may not do the lawn any longer, but when I did it I felt better. It's better to keep a reputation than it is too keep a customer

Von Bobbeh
03-07-2013, 04:24 PM
We'll see how it goes. He might just end up being the first dropped customer of the year. I really wonder if these short lawn guys have a club or something? because there sure are a lot of them LOL.

LawnBoy0311
03-07-2013, 04:51 PM
What type of grass is it? Some can be cut shorter than others. Typically its between 2.5"-3" for most of the country.

Don't let them tell you how to run a business....sometimes dropping them is best before they bad mouth you.

dpld
03-07-2013, 05:56 PM
We'll see how it goes. He might just end up being the first dropped customer of the year. I really wonder if these short lawn guys have a club or something? because there sure are a lot of them LOL.

i had a old guy that would want me to scalp the lawn so it browned out and he did not have to mow it no more years ago.

i told him i would not subject my business having to be seen performing butchery
and looking like a incompetent hack.

Von Bobbeh
03-07-2013, 07:23 PM
Well like you said customers are @sshats that don't know what they are doing, because if they did I wouldn't get a call would I?

I just posted 80 flyers today in a promising neighborhood at this rate I'll have over 1000 out by April which should give me a good start and this guy is gonna get dropped and he can take care of his own moss farm again.

grass guru
03-08-2013, 06:58 AM
Tell him it will dull the mower blades much quicker, and you will have to charge an additional fee to keep the blades sharp. Mulching is more beneficial as it puts nitrogen back into the lawn and reduces the amount of fertilizer needed. Also tell him gou charge more to bag and haul, since you have to pay disposal fee, etc. Tell him it doesnt look professional. Tell him your biggest concern is his lawn, and its health and appearance, and you ethically and morally will not knowingly damage his lawn. That last one usually works every time.

Steve
03-08-2013, 05:35 PM
If you are going to have to bag this, how much more time is it going to take and how will that effect the price you need to charge?

aduttonater
03-10-2013, 12:44 PM
This is where you have to portrait yourself as the expert. Obviously he doesn't know squat about mowing lawns, or he wouldn't be calling you to do it.

If what you believe is true, then don't be afraid to tell him how you feel. Let him know that he may come off more appealing to his guests by having a nicer lawn that is cut at 2.5'' and not 1.5. Let him know he's wrong, but you can fix that for him.

If he says no, just ask him one more time if you can do it once and see if it looks better. If he still says no, then just do what he says and keep getting paid.

Grass Doctor
03-10-2013, 05:49 PM
depending on what type of grass some grasses benefit from scalping to recover from winter dormacy as (bermuda grass and zoisia) i usually keep bermuda around 1.5 to 2 inces higth and san agustine arround 3 to 3.5 i will never even dare to scalp st.agustine or centipide. acctually im about to start scalp the customers that have bermuda grass just part of my lawn maintenance plan :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :D:D

rockymtnnut
03-21-2013, 10:33 AM

Give him what he wants. I keep my lazer at 3.5 . Take a pic of another you cut and show him how taller looks so much better. I try to make bagging so cost prohibitve that they never do it.

Von Bobbeh
04-18-2013, 07:38 PM
"Hi ___, I need to inform you I will not mow your lawn "short". The recommended height for pacific north west lawn grass is 3" and you found 2.5" to be unacceptably long. It is a matter of principal that I won't knowingly preform inferior work.

I am sorry I waited so long to tell you this, but this is where I stand."

Let's see what he has to say, at this point I am already quite busy so I could care less if he balks :D

Von Bobbeh
04-22-2013, 12:32 PM
He replied

Bobby,

my wife and i were pleased the last time you cut our grass at 2 1/2 inches. If your not willing to do that again please let us know so i can find some that will. I think its poor business to tell a paying customer that you solicited that you are not interested in compromise of their own yard. I believe what a customer wants and willing to pay for at their own home is their choice and i have paid you well and above what you have quoted us. Please let us know if you will be back to mow and weed or not. If you are not willing to cut our grass and 2 1/2inches i understand. have a good day

M___ B___

I replied

"Mark,

You were happy with 2" last time because you convinced me to cut it shorter.

It's bad business I'm sure - but you don't tell a machanic how to fix a car or a painter how to spray paint. My mower is set to 3" and doesn't go lower for any reason other then dethatching for a reason.

From you previous reaction(s) I genuinely do not think you would be happy with that height so you should find another lawn guy, one who is less awnry than myself.

Sorry for the trouble,

-Bobby"

And then his wide emailed me...

Hi Bobby,

I would like to ask if you could please come cut my lawn, pull a few weeds.

Mark has moved out and we are divorcing, I am 100% ok with the length of the grass you are suggesting.

Please let me know if you are still willing ot do this and what it will cost me and I will have the lawn ready for you when you are able to come.

Thanks

L____ B___

GREATEST DAY EVAR.

Ryan's Lawn Care
04-22-2013, 04:36 PM
^Wholy crap!!! that took a turn i didnt see coming lol she kicked out the control freak. He probably complained about her cooking and said she made her steaks to thick lol

SECTLANDSCAPING
04-22-2013, 05:10 PM
^Wholy crap!!! that took a turn i didnt see coming lol she kicked out the control freak. He probably complained about her cooking and said she made her steaks to thick lol

She was baking at 350 and not 345.

Von Bobbeh
04-23-2013, 12:11 AM

Truth is stranger than fiction.

LawnBoy0311
04-23-2013, 06:34 AM

I gave my wife a black eye last time she did that. She learned her lesson.

Clearly she's now single, are you? Wheres WAT5150???? I know hes got some funny things to say!

rockymtnnut
04-23-2013, 12:06 PM
I would like t give you some advice give them what they want. Explain fully what it will do then cut it exactly how they want it. Then see how it goes. If they want it bagged make it cost prohibitive. Do not argue with the owners its allways bad for buisness.
When its all done now sell them on herbicide and fungicide to keep there lawn alive.

Caskey Lawns & Landscapes
04-24-2013, 07:32 AM
I would like t give you some advice give them what they want. Explain fully what it will do then cut it exactly how they want it. Then see how it goes. If they want it bagged make it cost prohibitive. Do not argue with the owners its allways bad for buisness.
When its all done now sell them on herbicide and fungicide to keep there lawn alive.

Only if you get it in writing and signed !!