PDA

View Full Version : 4 cycle trimmer?

motoxan
03-04-2013, 08:39 PM
Hi, I want to get some opinions on 4 stroke vs 2 stroke trimmers. Thanks!

ratchetmaster2
03-04-2013, 11:17 PM
All of my equipment (except for my mower) is 2 stroke. But it's all top-brand.
I strongly recommend 2-stroke equipment. It's cheaper, lighter, and generally better engineered.

I've tried a couple of 4-stroke trimmers, and hated them. Generally, 4-stroke trimmers are for the home owner. So places like Home Depot or Lowes sell them.
One time, I bought the Ryobi 4-stroke trimmer. WORST PIECE OF EQUIPMENT EVER.

I currently use a 2-stroke Toro power head from Home Depot. I've had it for about a year, and I abuse it pretty thoroughly. I've been waiting for it to break, so I could upgrade to an Echo, Stihl, or Husqvarna, but it just won't break! And only $100!!

wandfsmall
03-05-2013, 09:32 AM

A 2-stroke engine turns higher rpms and can be rotated in almost any direction without damaging the engine.

A 4-stroke engine turns lower rpms and has to be kept at a relatively stable angle to no damage the engine.(this is less true with oil pumps but in most cases the smaller stuff does not have an oil pump)

In our experance the 2cycle stuff is better at the applications that require twisting and turning the equipment and at higher rpm applications such as trimmers, blowers, chainsaws, and a few pump applications.

If you want a trimmer that sounds tough buy a 4-stroke or 4-mix unit if you want to have a trimmer that holds up and works well buy a 2-stroke

fieroboi
03-05-2013, 10:07 AM

I started out with a 4 stroke, and while a friend told me to go with a two stroke I didn't. Currently we are using two strokes, they hold up much better.

Lloyd
Blue's Yard FX
Camrose, AB

jasonw
03-06-2013, 09:28 PM
I for the most part agree with everyone. I absolutely LOVE my 4 stroke but if you have to carry one for 2 hours at a time your back wont last long and don't dare try to edge with it. I use my 4 stroke for little jobs, mostly around home or out and about, it's easy to start and use. Normally if I have to toss a strap over my shoulder though it's a 2 stroke every time. The weight is my biggest complaint, if they could make a lighter 4 stroke I would go with them all the time.

kslawn
04-01-2013, 08:45 AM
I had a Shindiawa t-27 I purchased in 2002 ( 2-stroke solid shaft) & it lasted 7 years, of course I used it mostly myself, but i got a Kawasucki (2-stroke flex shaft)& it did good first year but started puttin more money in it than it was worth... Shindiawa or redmax would be my choice but are more exspensive (420-450 each) but last a lot longer...a solid shaft is a must when using commercially..& definitly 2-stroke!