PDA

View Full Version : New member just starting

wilcox_11
02-27-2013, 02:42 AM
I am looking at starting a new lawn care buisness this spring. I am 23. Just got out of the military. Looking to try something new. I plan on offering mowing, gutter cleaning, mulching, garden tilling, stump grinding, and roof shoveling. I am trying to build clients quickly so my kids can have clothes on there back and eat. Any help with suggestions on how to pick up clients quickly would be much appreciated. thanks shawn

LawnBoy0311
02-27-2013, 07:05 AM
Hey Shawn, what branch were you in? Where are you from?

Start small, don't offer too much too fast. It could be overwhelming and tiring. Advertise, advertise, advertise, advertise!!!!! If you don't get your name out there, no one will know what you have to offer.

Good luck with the new business!

Steve
02-27-2013, 12:24 PM
Welcome to our forum!

Start with trying to sign up people you know or are related to. Ask them for referrals too. Build out from there.

It's easier to sell to people you know.

Advertise on craigslist and in your neighborhood.

LawnBoy0311
02-27-2013, 12:38 PM
Another good method i did last year that worked great....

Put that your a military vet on all your business cards, offer discounts to other service members, and when you sign up a customer, put a card in their neighbors door saying you cut the next door neighbors lawn. It works really well....they see the job you do and that your a vet!

wilcox_11
02-27-2013, 08:32 PM
I'm prior service army. From Maine. Steve i have read 2 of your books they are great.

Steve
02-28-2013, 02:38 PM
Thanks so much!

Another thing you can do is put together a concept that you could send to a local newspaper to get press coverage.

Because you are a vet, think of things you can do to pull that into a story idea.

For instance "Local Veteran Helps Other Vets With Lawn Care."

"Local Veteran Helps Rebuild Park."

"Local Business Owner And Veteran Donates Landscape To Senior Center."

Find something you could do locally where you could spend a weekend fixing something up with a fresh landscape. See if you can get a local supplier to donate materials. Have who ever you are doing the volunteer work for contact the local paper to tell them what you are doing. You could also send out a press release yourself.

This would get the word out in your area that you are now in business and that you are a good guy. A newspaper photo and story could come of it and that would bring you calls from others in town.

6295danny
03-01-2013, 07:18 PM
Wilcox Im in the same boat... I just started out this season... I would start the cheap way no matter what these guys tell ya... All I did was have zazzle make me a few thousand business cards. I started with commercial first an in 3 weeks of office to office i was booked for the whole summer...I dont have one residential yard other than some I was doing before but it was just a side job on weekends. Really just gotta have a go getter additude an have a little sales background under your belt. To me the hardest part is bidding correctly... This will make ya or break ya... Most of the guys here will lead ya down the rite path. I feel lucky to have these guys here an a good friend thats in lawn care to help me along... On day u will be crying....I cant find any work.... The next you will have more than you can handle..Good luck

wilcox_11
03-01-2013, 07:56 PM
Thanks for the replies i hope i pick up clients quick. Was wondering if anyone has a template for a request to bid that you send to commercial properties? thanks again shawn

6295danny
03-01-2013, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the replies i hope i pick up clients quick. Was wondering if anyone has a template for a request to bid that you send to commercial properties? thanks again shawn

Im not sure thats needed... Im new so not sure...I just called, set up appointments an showed up... done around 300 places but it paid off...Also would hand out as many cards as possible while I was out without appointments....

Steve
03-04-2013, 02:45 PM
Was wondering if anyone has a template for a request to bid that you send to commercial properties? thanks again shawn

Check out the free lawn care business letter (http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=7209) section.