PDA

View Full Version : Cub Cade z-force S Commercial

JPARKER
02-26-2013, 12:51 PM
I am trying to get started in the mowing buisiness and was considering a Cub Cadet z-force s48 commercial for my first mower. Does anyone have one or have any opinions on them?

wandfsmall
02-26-2013, 06:48 PM
To give you really good advice you would need to know the engine option you are looking at when asking about mower. However that said, my opinion as well as most other mechanic would be that that is not a commercial mower. It just says commercial grade to make it look like a better mower to the market it was designed for the homeowner. Cub cadet has gone way down in quality in the last few years it is almost like MTD is wanting to kill the brand.

JPARKER
02-26-2013, 07:20 PM
Okay. the thing that caught my eye about it is the dealer is just a couple miles from my house and it has a 2 year 1000 hour commercial warranty and the Kohler Command engine.

wandfsmall
02-27-2013, 05:17 AM
Okay. the thing that caught my eye about it is the dealer is just a couple miles from my house and it has a 2 year 1000 hour commercial warranty and the Kohler Command engine.

Your engine is commercial grade and a good dealer can make up for a bad machine. But personally I still say cub cadets is in the same boat as a John Deere mower. You pay a lot for the name and the quality of the units have dropped a lot in recent years.

LawnBoy0311
02-27-2013, 06:09 AM
Your engine is commercial grade and a good dealer can make up for a bad machine. But personally I still say cub cadets is in the same boat as a John Deere mower. You pay a lot for the name and the quality of the units have dropped a lot in recent years.

If anyone knows about them....it would be this guy.

dpld
02-27-2013, 06:51 AM

i would assume you are talking about the john deere home owner line because i recently bought a JD Z925A with all the bells and whistles last fall and it blows my xmark and walker away.

they have a home owner line that looks similar and looks like something you would see in home cheapo or lowes and for he life of me i don't know why john deere bothers with that crap other then the obvious of them being money whores.

stevef1201
02-27-2013, 07:02 AM
To buy a commercial mower you goto the commercial mower store.
To buy anything els goto the big box store.
Buying a GOOD homeowner mower, knowing you are going to put a lot of money in maintenance, or a commercial machine that will last a long time. Which way do you want to spend your money.

By the way if you have good credit you can walk away from a commercial store with a great machine for about the same monthly payment you would make on your HD or Lowes credit card.

Just my thoughts

JPARKER
02-27-2013, 07:26 AM
Since i am just getting started i have budgeted about $5000 for a mower and figured i could upgrade if this idea works out good. The new mowers i have locally that fall within that price range are the one mentioned above and a Husgvarna MZ5225 with a Kohler courage pro and a 48" scag freedom z with the Briggs engine. I was trying to get above a residential mower but cant afford a full blown commercial at the time and was looking at new because these 3 i can get 0% financing on and will have a warranty with.

wandfsmall
02-27-2013, 07:37 AM
Since i am just getting started i have budgeted about $5000 for a mower and figured i could upgrade if this idea works out good. The new mowers i have locally that fall within that price range are the one mentioned above and a Husgvarna MZ5225 with a Kohler courage pro and a 48" scag freedom z with the Briggs engine. I was trying to get above a residential mower but cant afford a full blown commercial at the time and was looking at new because these 3 i can get 0% financing on and will have a warranty with.

Of the 3 options you have I would go with the Cub Cadet. Your mower is only as good as the first expensive part that is likely to fail.

On the Scag Freedom Z you will have the Briggs engine down first, sorry Briggs does not make a good engine(maybe the vanguard but now they have taken that in house so I expect it to be trash soon).

On the Husquvarna I personally wonder anymore if the Kohler Courage is even as good as the Briggs(I have a mechanic that tells every customer it take Courage to buy a Kohler now).

wandfsmall
02-27-2013, 07:43 AM
i would assume you are talking about the john deere home owner line because i recently bought a JD Z925A with all the bells and whistles last fall and it blows my xmark and walker away.

they have a home owner line that looks similar and looks like something you would see in home cheapo or lowes and for he life of me i don't know why john deere bothers with that crap other then the obvious of them being money whores.

For the most part yes I am talking about the box store junk on the Deere.

I do have two issues with all John Deere equipment though. I do not call anything with integrated drive units commercial grade in my shop. I also take issue with a company that has more employees dedicated to designing clothing then equipment.

But then again I am opinionated and I might be surprised with the newer hydros as they might hold up better then I think. Only time will tell.

LawnCareMan280
02-27-2013, 04:15 PM
I think you should get a John Deere

JPARKER
03-03-2013, 07:58 AM
What about a Hustler Fastrak super Duty? Any one have any experience with this mower?

wandfsmall
03-03-2013, 12:54 PM
What about a Hustler Fastrak super Duty? Any one have any experience with this mower?

A LOT better you have a Kawasaki FX commercial grade engine, and a Hydro-Gear transmission that is serviceable, and heavy built frame. You can get a long life out of that mower, and it will make you money.

I am partial to pumps and wheel motors before I call it commercial however integrated drive systems built for commercial use do hold up if taken care of. And I never recommend you buy more then you could pay for without much debt. For example last year would have sent a guy under if he had a lot of debt.

JPARKER
03-03-2013, 03:47 PM
I am not for sure if its something i can afford for sure. I have a Hustler dealer abot 10 mile from me i am going to check prices on tomorrow? A guy on another sight recommended a Gravely ZTHD. Any opinion on them? i have a dealer for those about 30 miles from me.

wandfsmall
03-03-2013, 08:26 PM
I am not for sure if its something i can afford for sure. I have a Hustler dealer abot 10 mile from me i am going to check prices on tomorrow? A guy on another sight recommended a Gravely ZTHD. Any opinion on them? i have a dealer for those about 30 miles from me.

I honestly do not know as much about them as I should. I do not have a dealer close to me that sells many of them and do not work on them often. From the stats online I think you will find the deck on the fastrack to be a little heavier and I would avoid the Kohler Courage engine. But it does not appear much diffrent other then those things.

JPARKER
03-03-2013, 09:36 PM
Wandfsmall I got another question. When you replied about the Hustler Fastrak you mention the hydro gear transmission. The Cub Cadet I first posted about says it has a Hydro-Gear ZT3100 transmission Charged w/oil reserve and filter. Is this different than the Hustler?

wandfsmall
03-04-2013, 08:04 AM
Wandfsmall I got another question. When you replied about the Hustler Fastrak you mention the hydro gear transmission. The Cub Cadet I first posted about says it has a Hydro-Gear ZT3100 transmission Charged w/oil reserve and filter. Is this different than the Hustler?

Yes honestly I just do not like the quality of the Cub Cadet units since MTD bought them. They seem to just rattle apart over time kinda like the swisher mowers. Also the front steering take a lot of breakable moving parts as well as puts a larger load on the hydro units in theory making it not last as long.

JPARKER
03-04-2013, 11:53 AM
Just got back from looking at the Hustler Fastrak super duty 54". it was still wrapped and not all put together yet. He priced it at $6899. does this sound about right? Don't know if i can swing that starting out or not.

wandfsmall
03-04-2013, 04:42 PM
I can say that is lower then list, you can also look at the regular fastrak they have the 3100 transmission but just the FS engine.

Do not buy more then you can afford if you can avoid it, a consumer mower will get you started just plan on selling it or upgrading it when you can.

Also if you look at consumer mowers like the raptor you can avoid safety switches that get annoying.

JPARKER
03-10-2013, 12:27 PM
What safety switches are you talking about?

wandfsmall
03-11-2013, 10:40 AM
Box store units shut the blades off every time you pull one of the levers in reverse. this gets old quickly and can burn up a clutch fast.

JPARKER
03-26-2013, 07:45 AM
OK guys i have to get a mower bought this week. so far i only have about 10 hours of mowing a week lined up for sure. What is your opinions on starting out with the Cub Cadet and moving on up to soething more commercial in a couple years after more mowing is secured and then using the Cub for a back up mower?

wandfsmall
03-26-2013, 08:36 AM
OK guys i have to get a mower bought this week. so far i only have about 10 hours of mowing a week lined up for sure. What is your opinions on starting out with the Cub Cadet and moving on up to soething more commercial in a couple years after more mowing is secured and then using the Cub for a back up mower?

I would not count on the cub as a backup mower but you can make money with a residential mower. You just need a commercial mower to make a living.

Caskey Lawns & Landscapes
03-26-2013, 02:00 PM

Bottom line here is ( IF YOU AFFORD TO ) find a commercial unit....There are many used units around this time of year with lots of life left in them...I startth a used Xmark Lazer Z and it got me through my first three years...I have used the box store brands also here and there and you can't depend on them to work...Others may disagree but they just are not built to last and they can't take the abuse of 6 to 8 hours of mowing every day...Don't get in over your head but if you can swing the money...BUY COMMERCIAL...

Steve
03-27-2013, 11:07 AM
OK guys i have to get a mower bought this week.

What have you decided to go with?

armowing
03-31-2013, 01:18 PM

i started out that way. Brand new ZTR 50 at $3500. With just 257 hours on it it blew and Cub basically told to go to hell. Never again. Just like some ppl said since MTD took over its just junk. By a used commercial unit and you will be much happier!

SNethercutt
03-31-2013, 03:14 PM
Gravely would be my option.

They do make a good AMERICAN made machine.

Their customer service is above par.

I blew and engine on mine in 60 hours. Had water in fuel and messed up the rings. Burnt oil and ran dry. It was replaced no questions asked by local gravely dealer that I did not buy it from. They are big into customer care.

Depending on which model you buy I wouldn't tell your dealer you will use commercially. The HD and XL series are not commercial. But have a longer warranty than the commercial units.That being said, buy it, use it and if it breaks then just tell them you use it to mnow your yard if asked.

I run a Gravely ZT 54 XL and have 280 hours on it. Its a year old. Runs good. No problems at all other than the engine which was bad gas. And on the control arm they have "hood shock" things. And one of those went bad. Was $10 at oriellys.

wandfsmall
03-31-2013, 05:52 PM
Depending on which model you buy I wouldn't tell your dealer you will use commercially. The HD and XL series are not commercial. But have a longer warranty than the commercial units.That being said, buy it, use it and if it breaks then just tell them you use it to mnow your yard if asked.

This is horrible advice, do not expect your mechanic to be stupid, we can tell if a mower is used commercially or not. Be honest with the repair shop as they are more likely to help you if you are. Remember the only person that would be on your side is the dealer, the manufacture does not want to pay the warranty but the dealer would love to get paid to fix your mower and not have to charge you for the repair.

Remember we are just like you are, if your customer lied to you would you be likely to help them out?

Also as for american made, most of your better equipment is made in america. The major brands that make things outside of the states would be Toro/Exmark, Husquvarna, MTD/Cub Cadet/TroyBuilt/John Deere