PDA

View Full Version : New member

djlandscaping06
02-25-2013, 05:44 PM
Hello Steve, and everyone else, my name is Donnie Whitmore and I am a new member to the forum. Just signed up this past Friday the 22nd and wanted to introduce myself. My wife and I own and operate a landscape and lawn care business called DJ Landscaping out of Jackson Mo. about 120 miles south of St. Louis. We have been in business going on seven years. The majority of our business is lawn mowing, but do some landscaping also. We do lawn care on about 30 properties that is a mix of residenial and commercial. We currently take care of them ourselves but are setting goals to grow bigger and start hiring some crews. Seen this site while searching the internet and I am very interested in the software program and a lot of the other stuff that I have seen.

Glad to meet everyone and look forward to talking to you all more! Have a great day! Donnie and Linda Whitmore/DJ Landscaping:)

LawnBoy0311
02-25-2013, 06:08 PM
Nice to meet you! Do the both of you operate your company as a full time job?

Sprinkler Buddy
02-25-2013, 11:15 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Caskey Lawns & Landscapes
02-26-2013, 10:18 AM
Welcome....

My nephew owns a lawncare care business near Jackson also......

Steve
02-26-2013, 12:31 PM
Hi Donnie,

Welcome to our forum!

Congratulations on making it 7 years!

I bet you have seen a lot of other businesses in your area try to get started and fail during that time.

What's your view on success? Do you feel there are steps you took to make it this long that most others don't understand and tend to fail at business?

djlandscaping06
02-26-2013, 04:33 PM
Nice to meet you! Do the both of you operate your company as a full time job?

No. We do it as a side business. I work a full time 40 hr. plus a week job as a custodial supervisor for Jackson R-2 school district. My wife did babysit in our home till just recently. Needless to say come mowing season we are very busy but the income is worth it.

djlandscaping06
02-26-2013, 04:46 PM
Hi Donnie,

Welcome to our forum!

Congratulations on making it 7 years!

I bet you have seen a lot of other businesses in your area try to get started and fail during that time.

What's your view on success? Do you feel there are steps you took to make it this long that most others don't understand and tend to fail at business?

I guess the best advice I could give is just to keep plugging at it no matter how rough it may get. Belive me I have had some real rough times trying to make it work and I am still not where I want to be! I just am a persistant person and I think no matter what business your in or what things you are persuing in life you have got to be persistant and have the want to. I just don't accept failure! I might fail but I refuse to be a failure because I believe in getting back up when I get knocked down. Secondly, I think that you must do everything you can do to make your clients happy! They are your business and if you are not pleasing them you are not going to have a business. Repeat business is your life source and plus if you are keeping them happy they will refer you to new business. I do very little advertising because of the expense, but I get a lot of new business from my exsisting clients by just taking good care of them. Hope this helps! Thanks!:)

djlandscaping06
02-26-2013, 04:49 PM
Welcome....

My nephew owns a lawncare care business near Jackson also......

Cool what's his name or the name of his business? Might know him. I know a lot of the business's in the area.

djlandscaping06
02-26-2013, 04:51 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Thanks! I appreciate it and good to be here!:)

Steve
02-27-2013, 11:59 AM
Belive me I have had some real rough times trying to make it work and I am still not where I want to be!

Any crazy lawn care business stories that were rough that you pushed through? Such stories are great to motivate others that they can do it too.