PDA

View Full Version : Newbie questions

googus
02-23-2013, 02:17 PM
Hey Guys I am looking into a lawn "small" Lawn care business.
Ok, so since I applied for 90 jobs with no nibbles and currently do not have any income I am thinking of starting up a Lawn Care Business.
My thought was something like this.

Get LLC Name (would I need a tax ID or other for Charoltte)
Study and Take the pestcide exam so I can obtain a pesticide license
Use my existing equipment until I have a customer base (21 in Push mower, gas blower, gas weed wacker with conversion to edger)
Goal is 30 customers at two cuts a month for 25-30 dollars equal 1500.00 a month before expense & we have about 7 months season.
With the pesticide license I could spray or lay down chemicals for season start up and season ending.
Provided Ala Cart services mulch, bed weeding, etc. Not Landscape design at this time, lawn care.
Design Logo with LLC Name
Get two magnets for truck for either side with rear window 3m designed sticker
Start up flyers (call for first cut $10.00) (then try to sell myself upon collecting) This will also help with some cost. I have nothing but time.
All lawns by me are more or less the same size with the same footprint. I have a corner lot which is a tad bigger & mine takes 1.25Hrs.

When up an running plan out the purchase of a bigger mower to reduce cut time down.

Sorry for a choppy post. Any thoughts?
The other option is to go back to school for mechanic, HVAC, or something else.
Also I have attached some logo ideas.

SECTLANDSCAPING
02-23-2013, 03:35 PM
I would skip the pesticide license. Its gonna cost $400-$500 and youll probably not even break even. Use that money to get a 48" walk behind.

I would target 15 $50 lawns. Its much easier and less running around. If you go after the cheap lawns. Youll have a bunch of cheap customers. Good luck selling them mulch or anything else.

Again get a bigger mower. You can find a used walk behind for $300-$800 right now. Its way to much work to cut with a 21" mower.

Youll lose money by offering a $10 cut. It will cost you that in gas to get there and gas to cut. I bet that most only get that one cut too.

You have to do something like sign up for weekly mowing and get the 8th cut for half price. You put the 8th cut at the end of the year so they have to stick with you to get it.

The other thing is its not a good idea to start a business if you have limited income. At the end of the year youll barely make a profit and still need $1000s in equipment.

Steve
02-25-2013, 01:57 PM
Why not get something together and start experimenting with it? I'd keep it simple at first and get your feet wet. Then get more licenses or offer more services as you go and want to expand.

If you have the desire and drive, why not get started?