PDA

View Full Version : free zero turn and lawn equipment for wounded warriors

Greg'slawnandlandscape
02-23-2013, 07:02 AM
this year i would like to donate a week of my time for wounded warriors. i have dedcided i am going to try to partner with lowes and a few indepent dealers to try to get zero turns at wholesale price to give to wounded warriors who cant drive lawn tractors because of missing legs or arms. this idea came to me from my friend nick long story short he explained to me that his family wanted a zero turn for ray (his step dad that lost his legs) because ray wanted the ability to mow his lawn again. (dont take anyrthing for granted you would not believe how much ray misses doing chores)

HERES THE GAME PLAN:
i plan on partnering with lowes (they really support thier military) i hope to get the mowers at or below wholesale

next partner with the richlands great out doors i know the owner and he is ex military i plan on haveing them weld atachments on to the steering controls so that wounded warriors with missing hands can stil use them

then i have to partner with another lawn company because it is a military town and i plan on haveing a huge response

and i plan on unveiling the mowers at the run for the wounded warriors on camp lejuene

does anyone have any suggestions?

JeffK26
02-23-2013, 09:09 AM
Great idea.

Getting in touch with the welder is a good start, but you both would need to contact a prosthetic expert, or prosthetic consulting firm to get ideas on what the design for the attachment should be. Ask them questions about comfort, a design may look like it works, and it may work, but is it comfortable to use continuously while mowing a lawn?

You may have to come up with a few designs for the different types of prosthetic used. One design may not support a certain prosthetic.

wandfsmall
02-23-2013, 11:40 AM
this year i would like to donate a week of my time for wounded warriors. i have dedcided i am going to try to partner with lowes and a few indepent dealers to try to get zero turns at wholesale price to give to wounded warriors who cant drive lawn tractors because of missing legs or arms. this idea came to me from my friend nick long story short he explained to me that his family wanted a zero turn for ray (his step dad that lost his legs) because ray wanted the ability to mow his lawn again. (dont take anyrthing for granted you would not believe how much ray misses doing chores)

HERES THE GAME PLAN:
i plan on partnering with lowes (they really support thier military) i hope to get the mowers at or below wholesale

next partner with the richlands great out doors i know the owner and he is ex military i plan on haveing them weld atachments on to the steering controls so that wounded warriors with missing hands can stil use them

then i have to partner with another lawn company because it is a military town and i plan on haveing a huge response

and i plan on unveiling the mowers at the run for the wounded warriors on camp lejuene

does anyone have any suggestions?

I would contact the dealer that you are working with about the mower as well, some companies might be willing to sell the mower threw the dealer at enough of a discount to allow you to get a better mower at the same price. Also a heavier built mower will be easier to modify.

wandfsmall
02-23-2013, 11:43 AM
Great idea.

Getting in touch with the welder is a good start, but you both would need to contact a prosthetic expert, or prosthetic consulting firm to get ideas on what the design for the attachment should be. Ask them questions about comfort, a design may look like it works, and it may work, but is it comfortable to use continuously while mowing a lawn?

You may have to come up with a few designs for the different types of prosthetic used. One design may not support a certain prosthetic.

You would be shocked at how many dealers have modified mowers for disabled people. Personally we have done a few for guys in wheel chairs or with a prosthetic. Also in my experience I found an occupational therapist was more help in the designs, so I would call them to start with.

dpld
02-23-2013, 11:58 AM
i am sure doing something like this will have it's challenges but then again nothing worth while is easy.

kudos to you for coming up with this idea and i hope it is a complete and total success.

SECTLANDSCAPING
02-23-2013, 04:19 PM
I tried raising money to pay for services rendered to vets. I never got any response. About a 1/4 of my customers are military and not one donated a dime.

I put a option to donate to a vet on every invoice. Did a online thing to raise money. It seemed like nobody cared.

You might have better luck with a business since there all about publicity.

Greg'slawnandlandscape
02-25-2013, 10:54 PM
Today was a great start talked to the owners of the richlands great outdoors and they are ready to help they will cover design for the attachments for the zero turns then I went to lowes to speak with the manager about getting zero turns at wholesale or below an he said they want to participate but he needs to run numbers to get back to me. Now all that's left is to contact the chairman of the wounded warrior run contact the base hospital and contact a few more lawn company's to help. I can't wait to see wounded warriors faces when they get zero turns

wandfsmall
02-26-2013, 06:30 AM
Today was a great start talked to the owners of the richlands great outdoors and they are ready to help they will cover design for the attachments for the zero turns then I went to lowes to speak with the manager about getting zero turns at wholesale or below an he said they want to participate but he needs to run numbers to get back to me. Now all that's left is to contact the chairman of the wounded warrior run contact the base hospital and contact a few more lawn company's to help. I can't wait to see wounded warriors faces when they get zero turns

As a backup plan ask Richlands about the possibility of getting the Badboy MZ mower at a discount modified for the vets. It will give you a backup plan and you never know they might give you the same offer as lowes does.

Greg'slawnandlandscape
02-26-2013, 08:17 PM
As a backup plan ask Richlands about the possibility of getting the Badboy MZ mower at a discount modified for the vets. It will give you a backup plan and you never know they might give you the same offer as lowes does.

Yep we had talk about it thier looking in to it for me

Greg'slawnandlandscape
04-16-2013, 12:15 PM
Well here is where I am.

Our wounded warrior week will be may 1-8 after that we have ten days to pickup and modify the machines.

We will be showing off each custom machine at our vendors both on the 17th and we will release all machines before the wounded warriors run on the 18th

Here's the questions
If you live in Jacksonville nc and would like to help that week message me

Here's the next question

What do you wish your mower had on it this could be anything from a cup holder to different tires. If this improvement helps you then it will definitely help wounded warriors.

Steve
04-17-2013, 12:20 PM
What do you wish your mower had on it this could be anything from a cup holder to different tires. If this improvement helps you then it will definitely help wounded warriors.

Do you know the person a mower will be given too? Do you know if they are injured in a way that they would need some specific modification done to the mower before they can use it?

Greg'slawnandlandscape
04-18-2013, 10:44 AM
Do you know the person a mower will be given too? Do you know if they are injured in a way that they would need some specific modification done to the mower before they can use it?

I don't know yet I will on the 8th currently I'm doing general designs

wandfsmall
04-18-2013, 12:53 PM
just out of curiosity who donated the mower?

Greg'slawnandlandscape
04-18-2013, 06:03 PM
just out of curiosity who donated the mower?

My business will be we are donating all our proceeds from our wounded warriors week to purchase the machines and to outfit them. Lowes is helping us get them at whole sale and the richlands great out doors will help with outfitting them ( fabrication).

Steve
04-19-2013, 09:03 PM
Greg have you contacted the local newspaper about you doing all this? It could make for a great story.

Greg'slawnandlandscape
04-20-2013, 05:39 AM
Greg have you contacted the local newspaper about you doing all this? It could make for a great story.

Not yet thanx for reminding me.