PDA

View Full Version : my old employer gets fined

justin_time
02-16-2008, 10:31 PM
My old employer gets fined for not paying my salary and other buddies that worked there with me before I opened my business

Newspaper article (http://thesudburystar.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=905287)

Steve
02-18-2008, 10:28 AM
Quote[/b] ]A Greater Sudbury business has been fined $2,000 for ignoring orders to pay some employees wages and vacation pay.

Complete Yard Care pleaded guilty in provincial offences court Tuesday to four counts of failing to comply with Employment Standards Act orders to pay. Justice of the Peace R. Beck fined the company $500 on each count.

Justin,

Can you give us a little history on this and what happened? How did this business owner end up just not paying the salaries?

tjgray
02-18-2008, 01:24 PM
Our cable contractor not only shorted us $1000.00 back in October but hurt us financially as well this winter as we didn't do any cable installations to get us through like we normally do...

We are probably going to have to take them to court to get our money as we have called them many many times and they keep telling us that as soon as Time Warner pays them they will pay us...

I don't give a darn if TW pays them or not I want our freakin cash...

Were you able to finally get your money or was your ex-employer just fines?

justin_time
02-19-2008, 12:33 AM
Quote[/b] (Team Gopher @ Feb. 18 2008,11:28)]Quote[/b] ]A Greater Sudbury business has been fined $2,000 for ignoring orders to pay some employees wages and vacation pay.

Complete Yard Care pleaded guilty in provincial offences court Tuesday to four counts of failing to comply with Employment Standards Act orders to pay. Justice of the Peace R. Beck fined the company $500 on each count.

Justin,

Can you give us a little history on this and what happened? How did this business owner end up just not paying the salaries?
I'm gonna try my best.. Hopefully I don't go too far fetch but this is the story of how it all started (Warning.. there may be a few swear words)

Anyways.. this all started before I started my business.. wanted to know how the big boys do it so I apply at this lawn company called Greenscape Lawn Care.. go to the interview.. and all that get the job and all.. Start working.. and then 2 weeks into the job.. I was being told that I wasn't raking hard enough (we were doing spring cleanup and picking up after a detatcher)... Now I know how a detatcher work... i've never seen that done before.. anyways back to the topic.. I was told that I wasn't working hard enough.. slacking and a few things.. then this morning.. i go to work.. we were like 15 to 20 minutes from the shop and the boss calls me to his truck.. he told me to pickup my stuff in the other truck and he brought me back to the shop.. he was done with me.. yes.. my 1st time being fired.. .I couldn't understand why.. I still don't get it why I got fired.. anyways

I started to look for another lawn company to go work for... since I still wanted to see how the "big boys" do it.. so I've seen this Complete Yard Care company before and I've seen them come to my school before and I remembered them and I sent them my resume... Well guess what... BAD THING....

This is where actually my story starts...

I send my resume.. I get a call from the guy.. he needs guys.. so he's like just come in work on monday.. so I'm like ok.. get into work.. meet the guy.. no interview or nothing... I had a weird feeling about not having an interview.. so he basically puts me on the residential crew as a chief leader.. so bascially shows us where all the lawns are so he forces us to remember all the locations... he's with us.. forcing me to work faster... 1st week with him.. i actually tought I was gonna die... I was getting up at 4 am to get ready for work for 7 since I had to pickup a few guys to work.. he promises me and 1$/extra on my paycheck because i was only getting payed 8$/hr so yea... I was feeling fishy... so yeah this one week he asked us to join the commercial rest of the crew (he has 4 trucks).. I was running 1 of them.. we get to this jobsite.. it's about 1 football field long.. he makes us cut the grass by hand.. yes this crazy freak made us use push mowers but he wanted this job done as fast as we can so we can go home...

Couple of weeks go by.. and we returned to this jobsite.. it's like between 77 Fahrenheit to 86 Fahrenheit (25 Celcius to 30 celcius) and he wouldn't let us go across the street to get a M. Freeze since it was hot outside and we were done the job just exhausted from pushing a #### mower. This freakin' guy also took our lunches (i bet this is illegal) because some of the guys bought M. Freeze. One of my buddy that is one of the other one that didn't get payed like me... he is a diabetic and he had his diabetic kit in his lunch.. and he also needs his sugar anyways.. he needs his sugar.. and he was very mad when he got his lunch taken also as everybody elses.

Story goes on.. I gave him a quitting notice... I think I should of just quit.. because he made my crew suffer while i'm the one quitting.. he made us go push mowers on commercial size accounts.. took us like 3 hrs to do one job.. just because he know i was quitting

So the big story that he's doing this to me.. is because he prints me an excel list every morning and I return him with the ones he did and he thinks I made him lose a few customers since I put a checkmarks to the ones I didn't do and the customers sent him letters to him since they don't want to pay if they didn't have the service and all this crap.. he's blaming me on all this crap...

So he thinks I didn't deserved to get PAYED so I filled him to the Collection Agency called Labour Board (Goverment).

So that's where my story stands at right now..

I don't beleive I deserve this...

Steve
02-19-2008, 12:15 PM
WOW Justin,

After going through such an experience, can you tell us some of the lessons you learned from all this? What advice do you have for others so they don't end up in the same situation?

justin_time
02-19-2008, 01:07 PM
Quote[/b] (Team Gopher @ Feb. 19 2008,1:15)]WOW Justin,

After going through such an experience, can you tell us some of the lessons you learned from all this? What advice do you have for others so they don't end up in the same situation?
Just don't get sucked in to do some work that doesn't make sense

Don't get brainwashed on stupid work... quit if you have too

Steve
02-19-2008, 04:52 PM
Do you feel this experience has changed the way you think and when you become an employer you will act differently?

If so, what would you do differently?

justin_time
02-19-2008, 04:59 PM
Quote[/b] (Team Gopher @ Feb. 19 2008,5:52)]Do you feel this experience has changed the way you think and when you become an employer you will act differently?

If so, what would you do differently?
I don't think I do have good feelings... I still have flashbacks and sometimes nightmares of all the bad stuff happened *http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/offtopic.gif

That's what made me create my own.. got tired of being bossed around

Steve
02-19-2008, 05:04 PM
Well, then you took a negative and made it into a positive! That's what it is all about isn't it? Good job!

justin_time
02-19-2008, 05:13 PM
Quote[/b] (Team Gopher @ Feb. 19 2008,6:04)]Well, then you took a negative and made it into a positive! That's what it is all about isn't it? Good job!
Yeah your right.. i shouldn't let this bother me

I got Just in Time Yard Services and that's all it counts