PDA

View Full Version : Cul-de-sac

BelleCityLawn1
02-19-2013, 10:11 AM
Hey guys,

I just received a call for an estimate for lawn maintenance on Cul-de-sacs. It is primarily for the circles in the middle of the roundabouts at the end of each street. There are roughly 5-10 of them in the neighborhood. I was just wondering if anyone has any advice on pricing as well as up keeping on these roundabout circles in Cul-de-sacs.

Thanks!
Tim Oezer
Belle City Lawn Care, LLC

LawnBoy0311
02-19-2013, 10:39 AM
Kind of hard for me to picture. But I had one growing up when I was a kid. From what I remember, it had little grass, mostly mulch, and some shrubs. We used to ride our bikes by them and push eachother over into the shrubs....

But anyway, maybe use your man hour rate to go off of. What was the old lawn care guy doing? I'd imagine weed control, shrub trimming, mulch, mowing, edging. Whats the drive time between each one?

BelleCityLawn1
02-19-2013, 10:53 AM
LawnBoy0311,

The circles are about 75 feet across. They each have a evergreen with a little mulch underneath, so it is mostly mowing. When I was a kid we used to use the curbs of them as jumps (the good old days haha). The drive time is about a few thousand feet between each of them. I was thinking of just going off my hourly rate and see what happens.

Thanks!
Tim Oezer

LawnBoy0311
02-19-2013, 11:14 AM
LawnBoy0311,

The circles are about 75 feet across. They each have a evergreen with a little mulch underneath, so it is mostly mowing. When I was a kid we used to use the curbs of them as jumps (the good old days haha). The drive time is about a few thousand feet between each of them. I was thinking of just going off my hourly rate and see what happens.

Those were the days!!! Now I'm grown up, married, bills coming uot the @$$....

If it's mostly mowing an hourly rate would be the best. Putting a little mulch down and trim the evergreens wouldn't be hard at all. Factor in an hourly rate + mulch + evergreen trimming. Doesn't sound like drive time would be too much of a factor, but see if you can add a little bit for the time to load and unload the trailer.

Good luck!

BelleCityLawn1
02-19-2013, 11:22 AM
They really where!

Yup that is the plan I am going with. I am meeting with the guy in charge of the property maintenance later today so I just thought I would see if anyone has any good tips. Thanks!

Thanks!
Tim Oezer

Steve
02-19-2013, 01:14 PM
How is the traffic around them? Would this be something you could put a lawn sign in and get a bunch of people seeing it?

BelleCityLawn1
02-19-2013, 01:58 PM
Steve,

There really is not much traffic at all. These roundabouts are just for the few houses at the end of the streets. It would be a fantastic idea if there was more traffic but I am putting up door hangers through the neighborhood to try and get more work than just the roundabouts. Good idea though!

Thanks!
Tim Oezer

Steve
02-20-2013, 11:38 AM
Are there many of these in town? Maybe you could send a picture of one you are working on and see if they would print a picture of it. Maybe they could do a contest of sorts and show off one per month to bring attention and pride to different neighborhoods. That could get you some word of mouth advertising if you could have a sign on it for the picture of have your name below the picture.

If these roundabouts are what you are talking about, the designs I have seen for them are simple all the way up to very artistic.

http://www.autonorth.ca/storage/750px-Roundabout_1.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=124390 4023917

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3369/3185197504_887e13aafd.jpg

http://www.roundaboutsusa.com/assets/galleries/592/draper3.jpg

BelleCityLawn1
02-20-2013, 08:45 PM
Steve,

They are similar to the ones in the pictures minus all the plants and traffic. They are only grass and 3 bushes in the middle with mulch around the bushes. The roundabouts are simple and sadly do not get much traffic.

Thank you,
Tim Oezer

LawnBoy0311
02-21-2013, 09:46 AM
Any word back from them? I'm curious to see how you did!

BelleCityLawn1
02-21-2013, 10:20 AM
I met with the manager of the neighborhood to discuss exactly what needed to be done and give him an estimate. I gave him a pretty fair price because he mentioned if I did good with these I may be able to pick up more of them. I sent him the official estimate on Tuesday evening and he said the numbers looked pretty good he just had to pass it by the budget committee. So I should found out in a week or so. I will post on this thread what ended up happening!

Thank you,
Tim Oezer

LawnBoy0311
02-21-2013, 10:29 AM
Awesome, I can't wait to see! What did you put in for the bid?

BelleCityLawn1
02-21-2013, 11:02 AM
I went with my gut feeling of $25 a circle with 7 circles. So it came to $175 for the circles and that should take maybe a hour and a half to trim, edge, and mow all of them. They are all about a block apart so travel time was not an issue. I also had to bid on mowing around some ponds and roads that the homeowners did not own so they have to hire someone to cut them. The total for the bid came to $400 for all of the work needed which should take about 5 hours. It seemed like a pretty reasonable price that would match my hourly rate of $50 a hour.

Thank you,
Tim Oezer

LawnBoy0311
02-21-2013, 11:07 AM
Thats not bad at all! Nice work, keep us posted.

BelleCityLawn1
03-16-2013, 10:32 AM
Hey everybody,

I just wanted to post a report on what happened with the Cul-De-Sac's. I just got an email from the maintenance guy for the subdivision. He said that the prices seemed pretty good and we just needed to meet to discuss another area of mowing in the subdivision. He said he forgot to mention this area but when he reviewed the prices with his budget committee for the subdivision they pointed it out. In other words I believe I landed it and I will be meeting with him Monday to discuss the rest of the work.

Tim Oezer
Owner

Hedgemaster
03-16-2013, 10:55 AM
I hope you don't get dizzy easily. ;)

GreenBlue
03-16-2013, 12:06 PM
Hope everything works out for you, looking forward to the update. I am confident I'll be successful like this eventually when my lawn service is open. It's still in final planning stages, and I'm seeking funding for my mowers. I'm getting practically everything from my Dad's work because he gets 50% off, so going to get great equipment at a great price, which will be good starting out. Probably won't be completely done and ready until next year because its going to take some time.

BelleCityLawn1
03-16-2013, 07:56 PM
I am thinking of sending someone with a light stomach to go cut them and tell them to go as fast as possible and to cut them in spirals ;) haha.

GreenBlue,
I hope it all goes well for you! In the beginning pretty much everything you will make will need to be redistributed to build up your business. As your business grows you will be able to sit back and see how amazing it can be and how quickly it can grow. I started mine only last year with a Mazda truck and a 21inch mower. This year I have grown to two routes for snow and a new truck, trailer, and all commercial mowers. Have fun with it and enjoy it as much as possible.

Thanks,
Tim Oezer

GreenBlue
03-17-2013, 04:28 PM
I am thinking of sending someone with a light stomach to go cut them and tell them to go as fast as possible and to cut them in spirals ;) haha.

GreenBlue,
I hope it all goes well for you! In the beginning pretty much everything you will make will need to be redistributed to build up your business. As your business grows you will be able to sit back and see how amazing it can be and how quickly it can grow. I started mine only last year with a Mazda truck and a 21inch mower. This year I have grown to two routes for snow and a new truck, trailer, and all commercial mowers. Have fun with it and enjoy it as much as possible.

Thanks,
Tim Oezer

Hey Tim, thank you very much sir. Yes I am looking forward to it growing and being successful. I enjoy helping people and working outdoors so its a good job for me. Learning everything I can, and I am sure I'll have the time of my life through the good and bad times of owning a lawn service. :)

BelleCityLawn1
03-17-2013, 07:53 PM
GreenBlue,

I hope everything goes well for you! I have had many ups and downs in the last year or so. Including one today of finding one of my trucks tires slashed along with some neighbors. When you do have one of those days just keep smiling and mowing some amazing looking lawns!

Thanks,
Tim Oezer

Steve
03-18-2013, 01:07 PM
You can always go with the mower on a rope trick lol

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3tNVOhtvPEw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

GreenBlue
03-18-2013, 08:19 PM
You can always go with the mower on a rope trick lol

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3tNVOhtvPEw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That's hilarious. :D

BelleCityLawn1
03-19-2013, 07:30 AM
Haha! The mower looks like it is going a little bit faster than it should!