PDA

View Full Version : 10,000 Flyers!!!

racerdude711
02-15-2013, 10:26 PM
hey guys, it's been a while since I've posted on here...a couple years. Im almost 20 years old now, and things have been going well. I'm to the point where I'd like to run 2 crews, but in order to do so, I definitely need to step up on accounts. Soooo, I've ordered 10,000 flyers. ALL WILL BE GOING OUT! So 10,000 homeowners will at least see my flyer. Every flyer, yes every flyer has an INSTANT price quote on it. A bit risky I know, but I feel that this gives the customer a reason to call. They don't have to worry about my company coming out to give a bid, haggle around on price, ect. And, I feel that my quotes are extremely reasonable. I have 2,000 early bird flyers going out soon. Then I have 4,000 flyers with one price, and 4,000 with another price. What kind of an area I'm in will depend on which flyer gets handed out.

Here's my question: Do you guys think I will get at least 50 customers for weekly mowing?

I figure if I can get 1% of the flyers to get me a phone call, and then close 50% of the calls, then I would be able to safely say I'd have 50 more accounts. How do you guys feel about this??? Im in Omaha, NE, and competition is HEAVY. Yes my flyers are professional, I feel they add right up with every other company in my area, except mine have an instant quote. So what do you guys think...will I get 50 more???

jymie
02-15-2013, 11:30 PM
Can you post a copy of the flyer? Are you using a service to distribute the flyers or are you and your crew doing the distribution? This strategy could work well. Make sure you check with the towns clerk office to see if you need a Peddlers license. Sometimes they require that you pay for peddlers license if you're going be going door-to-door.

racerdude711
02-15-2013, 11:36 PM
I would post a pic of the flyer...but...there happens to be another company on here that doesn't get along with me to well, and for that case, anyone in my area, and they will go out of there way to make sure I do not get the return I would like. Therefore, for now, I would like to just get your opinion as to if you guys think 10,000 professional looking flyers, with instant price quotes would bring at least 50 new accounts. If this works well for me, I'd be happy to post the flyer and let anyone use it, and benefit from it.

thom
02-16-2013, 03:50 PM
hey guys, it's been a while since I've posted on here...a couple years. Im almost 20 years old now, and things have been going well. I'm to the point where I'd like to run 2 crews, but in order to do so, I definitely need to step up on accounts. Soooo, I've ordered 10,000 flyers. ALL WILL BE GOING OUT! So 10,000 homeowners will at least see my flyer. Every flyer, yes every flyer has an INSTANT price quote on it. A bit risky I know, but I feel that this gives the customer a reason to call. They don't have to worry about my company coming out to give a bid, haggle around on price, ect. And, I feel that my quotes are extremely reasonable. I have 2,000 early bird flyers going out soon. Then I have 4,000 flyers with one price, and 4,000 with another price. What kind of an area I'm in will depend on which flyer gets handed out.

Here's my question: Do you guys think I will get at least 50 customers for weekly mowing?

I figure if I can get 1% of the flyers to get me a phone call, and then close 50% of the calls, then I would be able to safely say I'd have 50 more accounts. How do you guys feel about this??? Im in Omaha, NE, and competition is HEAVY. Yes my flyers are professional, I feel they add right up with every other company in my area, except mine have an instant quote. So what do you guys think...will I get 50 more???

Will this be the first time that you used flyers?

phouse65
02-16-2013, 07:54 PM
I don't know if you will get 50 customers for weekly mowing. You could get 5 or 80, just all depends. To secure 50, I would think that 30,000 flyers would do it. It will all come down to when they call you. Have answers to questions ready and be positive. Good luck and let us know how you do.

racerdude711
02-17-2013, 12:16 AM
This is not my first time doing flyers. I did flyers 2 years ago, again with the price quotes on them. I only put out 100, and got 4 customers. Obviously I'm not expecting a 4% return, but I've had decent luck with them before. I really hope this works out.

thom
02-17-2013, 08:13 AM
This is not my first time doing flyers. I did flyers 2 years ago, again with the price quotes on them. I only put out 100, and got 4 customers. Obviously I'm not expecting a 4% return, but I've had decent luck with them before. I really hope this works out.

It would be interesting to see what your results will be.
I wounder if the results would be any different if the price
were not on the flyer.

racerdude711
02-17-2013, 07:45 PM
Well what do you guys think?

Do you think it will be better with the price on the flyer or not???

Steve
02-18-2013, 01:29 PM
From what we have seen on here, it's better to not put a price on.

Each yard is different and unique and requires a unique amount of time and energy to mow.

Also, you are cutting out your greatest sales tool by giving a price, you are cutting out YOU. Getting a chance to meet a customer in person is your opportunity to sell yourself and your services. To look around the yard and see what other issues they may be having that you could help them with.

Why would you want to take yourself out of the equation like that? If you sell on price, then you are attracting customers looking for the cheapest price. Are you willing to be the cheapest?

Why not sell you and sell quality and make as good of a profit as you can per lawn?

Grass Doctor
02-18-2013, 01:48 PM
Well what do you guys think?

Do you think it will be better with the price on the flyer or not???

I PUT THE price on flyer i only target 5.000 to 8.000 sq homes so i know that i wont have surprises and when i do cause i have left a flyer my target area but homeowner have another house or etc and he have an acre lawn i explain that the price offer its only for that target area. i design an appraisal in the spot. and get the customer, it works out for me. every time i only did 250 flyers last year in spring i got 10 new customers out of them i haven't make any so far and i just got 4 new customers last week from referrals.

ur work its allways your best flyer.

Steve
02-19-2013, 11:31 AM
With all that said, what is your strategy now?

I Cut Grass LLC
02-19-2013, 12:01 PM
The general rule with flyering is this: you should expect about a 1% response. That doesnt mean you'll close the deal it means they'll respond. So, 10% of 10,000 is 1,000. In other words, you should expect approx 100 responses. The problem you have is that you bid properties up front. 10,000 is a lot to do. So, what if a customer wants his/her lawn push mowed? Does that price you quoted them include that? Or, what if they want it bagged or cut every two weeks or every 10 days etc? Some lawns are going to take longer than others even though they may have the same square footage: for example, lawn a may involve more trimming or lawn b might be fenced in the back where only a small push mower can get to. Still other properties might have a tendency to hold water and thus be easier to damage with your equipment. You aren't just quoting out your work, but the potential liability for you to damage something. The Law of Large Numbers outlines that the more you do the higher probability there is that something bad is going to happen.
Another thing to consider is this: are your flyers going into mailboxes? IF so that is a violation of Federal Law. Are your flyers staying in the newspaper boxes that you are putting them in or are they blowing out all over the neighborhood so that neighbors have trash to clean up? Try looking up neighborhood associations for the areas you want to target and then email the hoa board members and request permission to flyer the community. It'll go a long way on their end and you may end up getting more work as well as an opportunity to do work for the HOA.
Hope this helps.

racerdude711
02-20-2013, 03:49 AM
I guess I should have been more clear on what exactly is on my flyer. It spells out that the quoted price is for a "weekly service". Then, I specified what a weekly service consist of. There is also a * on the flyer that says if your yard contains a fence or other obstacles it may be subject to an additional cost. I feel i've covered my *** as far as that all goes.

Secondly, I have mapped out my area, and know exactly where the $35 dollar flyers go, the $40, so on.

Third, this is for you Steve. As far as why I put the quote on the flyer instead of going out and "selling myself"...think about it. What does EVERY other lawn care company do??? Exactly that. On a customers view point, they have a flyer in their hand from a known lawn care company in the area, that tells them exactly what it will cost to have their lawn cut each week. Very simple. They don't have to call and schedule an appointment with me, have me come out and write a bid, then see that the bid is to high and have to go through the whole process again. They know EXACTLY what they get, and for EXACTLY what price INSTANTLY! It can't get any easier for the potential customer.

What's the golden key to business??? "CREATE VALUE FOR THE CUSTOMER"

By having an instant quote ready for them when they look at the flyer, I've just created value for my customer.

As far as distributing my flyers, I'm trying out a technique that I don't think many other people have done before, and I would be more than happy to share it but as I've said before, there is a certain someone on here that runs a company in my area that will do his best to screw it up for me...but, I can guarantee you that my flyers WILL NOT blow away.

I've thought this whole process through for months now, have spent a good chunk of money getting everything printed and ready to roll, and wouldn't have done so had a thought it may not pay off. What I'm asking from you guys is simply an opinion of what to expect as to how many accounts I may gain. I appreciate all the responses so far.

thom
02-20-2013, 07:25 AM
I guess I should have been more clear on what exactly is on my flyer. It spells out that the quoted price is for a "weekly service". Then, I specified what a weekly service consist of. There is also a * on the flyer that says if your yard contains a fence or other obstacles it may be subject to an additional cost. I feel i've covered my *** as far as that all goes.

Secondly, I have mapped out my area, and know exactly where the $35 dollar flyers go, the $40, so on.

Third, this is for you Steve. As far as why I put the quote on the flyer instead of going out and "selling myself"...think about it. What does EVERY other lawn care company do??? Exactly that. On a customers view point, they have a flyer in their hand from a known lawn care company in the area, that tells them exactly what it will cost to have their lawn cut each week. Very simple. They don't have to call and schedule an appointment with me, have me come out and write a bid, then see that the bid is to high and have to go through the whole process again. They know EXACTLY what they get, and for EXACTLY what price INSTANTLY! It can't get any easier for the potential customer.

What's the golden key to business??? "CREATE VALUE FOR THE CUSTOMER"

By having an instant quote ready for them when they look at the flyer, I've just created value for my customer.

As far as distributing my flyers, I'm trying out a technique that I don't think many other people have done before, and I would be more than happy to share it but as I've said before, there is a certain someone on here that runs a company in my area that will do his best to screw it up for me...but, I can guarantee you that my flyers WILL NOT blow away.

I've thought this whole process through for months now, have spent a good chunk of money getting everything printed and ready to roll, and wouldn't have done so had a thought it may not pay off. What I'm asking from you guys is simply an opinion of what to expect as to how many accounts I may gain. I appreciate all the responses so far.

Will your competition see your flyers, if they were looking for them?

thom
02-20-2013, 07:35 AM
The general rule with flyering is this: you should expect about a 1% response. That doesnt mean you'll close the deal it means they'll respond. So, 10% of 10,000 is 1,000. In other words, you should expect approx 100 responses. The problem you have is that you bid properties up front. 10,000 is a lot to do. So, what if a customer wants his/her lawn push mowed? Does that price you quoted them include that? Or, what if they want it bagged or cut every two weeks or every 10 days etc? Some lawns are going to take longer than others even though they may have the same square footage: for example, lawn a may involve more trimming or lawn b might be fenced in the back where only a small push mower can get to. Still other properties might have a tendency to hold water and thus be easier to damage with your equipment. You aren't just quoting out your work, but the potential liability for you to damage something. The Law of Large Numbers outlines that the more you do the higher probability there is that something bad is going to happen.
Another thing to consider is this: are your flyers going into mailboxes? IF so that is a violation of Federal Law. Are your flyers staying in the newspaper boxes that you are putting them in or are they blowing out all over the neighborhood so that neighbors have trash to clean up? Try looking up neighborhood associations for the areas you want to target and then email the hoa board members and request permission to flyer the community. It'll go a long way on their end and you may end up getting more work as well as an opportunity to do work for the HOA.
Hope this helps.

I mailed 15000 post cards in mid March of 2011.I received 5 calls.
I did a spring clean up for 1.the others were price shopping.

lawn Stylist
02-20-2013, 09:35 AM
I mailed 15000 post cards in mid March of 2011.I received 5 calls.
I did a spring clean up for 1.the others were price shopping.

You might need to rethink the design of your flyer. That is a very low response.

BelleCityLawn1
02-20-2013, 10:08 AM
racerdude711,

I do usually about 2,000 door hangers at a time. I seem to gain 10-20 customers each time I put a round of door hangers out with about 50-75 phone calls of people price shopping. The competition in my area is extremely high so the amount of people just shopping is extremely high. I would guess somewhere between 45-100 new customers. That is just based off of what I know in my area. Hope this helps!

Thank you,
Tim Oezer
Belle City Lawn Care, LLC

thom
02-20-2013, 10:12 AM
You might need to rethink the design of your flyer. That is a very low response.

You might be right.
presently, I have several designs I am
working on.

SterlingLawns
02-21-2013, 10:59 AM
I think its a good idea to put the price on the flyer, its a strong reason for the home owners to call!

I've had bad luck in the past with mailers, although they were professionally designed and really nice to look at. Because my flyers didn't have enough "pull" or "call to action" or whatever and so they pretty much flopped, I got way less than 1% return on several thousand.

So I say the putting the price on the flyer is a great idea!

I Cut Grass LLC
02-21-2013, 01:58 PM
The only problem I see at all is the giving out of a price up front. It doesnt give them a chance to get to you know you unless they call you. Sure they have a flyer, but that doesnt sell YOU and how YOU are different from everyone else. So, it focuses on price. And, perhaps that's necessary to get started. It cant hurt that's for sure. It's just one of many ways and I'm sure you'll get some business from it.
You may also want to consider, if you dont already, a referral program on those flyers. If someone referse another person(s) by a certain date, and said person makes a seasonal commitment/agreement, then the referer gets 3 or 4 cuts free. It did wonders for me.
Hope you have the best year you've had since you have been in business! :)

LawnBoy0311
02-21-2013, 05:22 PM
The only problem I see at all is the giving out of a price up front. It doesnt give them a chance to get to you know you unless they call you. Sure they have a flyer, but that doesnt sell YOU and how YOU are different from everyone else. So, it focuses on price. And, perhaps that's necessary to get started. It cant hurt that's for sure. It's just one of many ways and I'm sure you'll get some business from it.
You may also want to consider, if you dont already, a referral program on those flyers. If someone referse another person(s) by a certain date, and said person makes a seasonal commitment/agreement, then the referer gets 3 or 4 cuts free. It did wonders for me.
Hope you have the best year you've had since you have been in business! :)

None of my customers have a chance to know me. My work speaks for itself. I've also never met or seen half my customers. I have got a few referals here or there....but nothing too special.

My point is.....flyers are a crap shoot. Some people do very well with them, others don't. The other day I put out 50 postcards and got 2 customers. Last year I did 1200 and got NONE. The only difference between the 2 postcards? I have a special going on that they save 25% off first months mowing.

Some say direct mailers work well, others say its a waste of money. Others use yellowbook, home advisor, thumb tack, craigslist, facebook/twitter, pennysaver, "rock in a bag in a driveway"...and the list goes on. You could pass out 10,000 or 100,000 flyers and get the same response rate.

Think of it as the stock market. Don't put all your money on 1 stock.

aduttonater
03-04-2013, 10:27 PM

I don't flier every door. Mostly just the doors that need some kind of service and it's obvious. I knock on the door first and try to speak with the person. If they don't answer then I leave a flier. If they do answer then they get a business card. I take notes as I go, but using this strategy works. I am demonstrating value in my marketing material. If I can speak with a person then they get a nice business card and it holds it's value. If they are not home they get a cheap paper flier put on their door, which hold its value. If I were to flier every house in a neighborhood, chances are that I'm going to reach people who don't need the service. Possibly don't even have grass.
Think of it as a strategy game, and use your material wisely in order to reach higher levels. In other words, don't throw all your stones at one spot.

Steve
03-05-2013, 12:16 PM
I don't flier every door. Mostly just the doors that need some kind of service and it's obvious. I knock on the door first and try to speak with the person.

The question I have about this is, with such a strategy, aren't you missing people who care about the way their lawn works and may be looking to hire someone or someone new to service it?

ratchetmaster2
03-06-2013, 10:46 PM
The question I have about this is, with such a strategy, aren't you missing people who care about the way their lawn works and may be looking to hire someone or someone new to service it?

This is exactly what I was thinking. I've found that the people who obviously need service the most, are sometimes the least likely to want it. Some people honestly don't care one single bit about their lawn. So, if they didn't care about it in the past, then they probably don't care about it now. Of course, there are exceptions.
I'm sure these people who obviously need service probably feel hounded. It's kinda like being teased over and over about being fat in elementary school.

The customers with lawns that are already groomed obviously appreciate spending money on their property. Whether it's your company or the other company, they are going to spend that money. Maybe you can intercept that money stream for yourself.

Steve
03-07-2013, 11:38 AM
Ultimately, you have to test which groups give you the best return for your advertising dollar. You may find certain interesting tell tale signs and then target those types of customers more than others.