PDA

View Full Version : Usdot

Matther777
02-15-2013, 05:28 PM
Hey here is a short and simple on for ya. Do I need to register my truck and trailer to USDOT? The company's I have worked for and many others I see have USDOT numbers. Should I play it safe and just get one? If I need one how much does it cost?

Thanks, Have a wonderful day!

LawnBoy0311
02-15-2013, 05:41 PM
I think it all depends on the weight you'll be hauling.

stevef1201
02-15-2013, 06:40 PM
Well now that depends. what size is the truck? Do you need a class a or class b license? Are you traveling between two or more states?
Better yet why not got the USDOT website and find out
I know it takes some work

Steve
02-18-2013, 12:32 PM
Companies that operate commercial vehicles transporting passengers or hauling cargo in interstate commerce must be registered with the FMCSA and must have a USDOT Number. Also, commercial intrastate hazardous materials carriers who haul quantities requiring a safety permit must register for a USDOT Number. The USDOT Number serves as a unique identifier when collecting and monitoring a company's safety information acquired during audits, compliance reviews, crash investigations, and inspections.

There is some great information on what is a D.O.T. number and when you need it here.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration-licensing/registration-usdot.htm

dpld
02-18-2013, 01:19 PM
as steve posted above, unless you are doing interstate commerce then there is no need.
if you are just a local landscaper and working in the same state you don't need it.
you can get one if you like but then you will be subjecting yourself to more regulation as a business owner and will have to carry a up to date DOT health card as well as all and any who drive your vehicles will need the same.

your insurance will also go up, how much i don't know and it won't break you but it will go up non the less.
you will also have more paper work and administrative duties as well.

also, if you do interstate commerce you will be subjected to paying taxes on the income you made in each state to the respective states tax laws.