PDA

View Full Version : Stump grinding

bluebird
02-13-2013, 03:55 PM
I am looking for a good walk behind stump grinder.
Please steer me in the right direction..

patrick6411
02-13-2013, 07:24 PM
Craigslist, Ebay and rental companies.

willshome
02-14-2013, 10:53 AM
I book all my grinding for one weekend and rent one for $97
It's cheap and easy, they keep it nice and sharp

bluebird
02-14-2013, 12:21 PM
Good idea with renting. I really cant afford one without financing anyway.if i get this housing development job there going to be well over 100 stumps . 30 new homesites.on one acre lots

patrick6411
02-14-2013, 01:22 PM
Where are you located? I am in Houston. If you are in my area I can help if you if you need it.

willshome
02-14-2013, 03:17 PM
Good idea with renting. I really cant afford one without financing anyway.if i get this housing development job there going to be well over 100 stumps . 30 new homesites.on one acre lots

Call around two places around here are like $180 and one is $97, If you rent on Friday after 3pm you get it till Monday 8am
100 is a lot of stumps you would put a lot of wear on grinder.

What about renting a tow behind?

bluebird
02-14-2013, 03:38 PM
Thanks for the offer Patrick.but I am in north ga .
Its very hilly and dont think that I could maneuver a tow behind thru the lots. I might not even get the deal though. I just panicked . a realtor called me and asked me if i could do it. I have a hard time saying no. probably should not have said yes.

Steve
02-15-2013, 02:17 PM
How big of a unit will you need? Can you get by with a smaller one the size of a mower?

patrick6411
02-16-2013, 07:13 AM
Thanks for the offer Patrick.but I am in north ga .
Its very hilly and dont think that I could maneuver a tow behind thru the lots. I might not even get the deal though. I just panicked . a realtor called me and asked me if i could do it. I have a hard time saying no. probably should not have said yes.

Mine is a Vermeer SC252. One of the things I was looking for was one that you don't have to man handle. You might want to look into Vermeer line. For a few jobs just rent one. Here is mine
http://lawn-care-service.info/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/IMG_0639-300x225.jpg

Steve
02-18-2013, 12:41 PM
Mine is a Vermeer SC252. One of the things I was looking for was one that you don't have to man handle. You might want to look into Vermeer line. For a few jobs just rent one. Here is mine

How often were you doing stump grinding before you decided to go ahead and buy one? How often have you found yourself using it since you bought it and do you feel it's worthwhile to buy?

patrick6411
02-18-2013, 10:51 PM
How often were you doing stump grinding before you decided to go ahead and buy one? How often have you found yourself using it since you bought it and do you feel it's worthwhile to buy?

Before I would schedule all stumps to be grind at one time. Usually setting them off as long as I could. Now that I have my own grinder I am finding business everywhere. I have partnered up with tree companies, the best thing I have ever done was partnered with concrete companies. When new concrete slabs are being laid down they have to remove the stumps. I get these jobs, I bill the concrete companies they mark up my services and get paid. I don't have to deal with customers.

Steve
02-19-2013, 01:53 PM
the best thing I have ever done was partnered with concrete companies.

That is a genius idea! How did you come up with that one?

patrick6411
02-19-2013, 05:51 PM
That is a genius idea! How did you come up with that one?
Talking to a customer, who had a slab laid down this past winter he told me the concrete company hired a 3rd party company to grind it out. This is a way to keep revenue coming in during the winter time.

Steve
02-20-2013, 12:49 PM
It's amazing all the ideas that can pop up like that when you are talking to a customer! Good job on that!

patrick6411
02-21-2013, 09:57 PM
It's amazing all the ideas that can pop up like that when you are talking to a customer! Good job on that!

Thank you bro. I try to listen to everything possible.

lov2mow
02-22-2013, 06:23 AM
My first year of landscaping I stump grinded over 100 stumps with no advertizing. Did it with a pto style stump grinder that I bought new for 3,950
This year going to advertize and get more aggressive with it so I bought a self propelled unit 44hp diesel. Hope it pays off.http://5866

patrick6411
02-22-2013, 07:58 AM
My first year of landscaping I stump grinded over 100 stumps with no advertizing. Did it with a pto style stump grinder that I bought new for 3,950
This year going to advertize and get more aggressive with it so I bought a self propelled unit 44hp diesel. Hope it pays off.http://5866

It will pay off as long as you apply yourself. The best thing I ever have done is adding my used machine for about 25% of the retail cost. This was a great thing to bring in extra revenue during winter months. Of course I will be grinding year round but my main focus is when grass stops growing. This enables me to have a bigger income coming in year round. I believe it is a positive step for anybody in the industry. Be creative think out of the box, it will help us all.