PDA

View Full Version : Anyone running a Scag 48" tigercat?

ericj88
02-13-2013, 01:09 PM
I am considering buying a new 48 scag tigercat mower. This will be my first mower for business. I hear that scag makes a great machine, which is why I am considering them over the bobcat. My main concern with this particular mower is that it has a 19hp KAI Kawasaki engine. I have searched the forum for reviews about this small motor, and I didnt find much at all.
Is anyone here running this machine with this motor? If so, what is your experience with it?
I am concerned with it possibly being under powered, short engine life (hours), and or just constant repairs. I hope it is reliable, as the price is good for this mower.
Thanks

wandfsmall
02-13-2013, 02:10 PM
I am considering buying a new 48 scag tigercat mower. This will be my first mower for business. I hear that scag makes a great machine, which is why I am considering them over the bobcat. My main concern with this particular mower is that it has a 19hp KAI Kawasaki engine. I have searched the forum for reviews about this small motor, and I didnt find much at all.
Is anyone here running this machine with this motor? If so, what is your experience with it?
I am concerned with it possibly being under powered, short engine life (hours), and or just constant repairs. I hope it is reliable, as the price is good for this mower.
Thanks

I did not think that Kawasaki was using KAI anymore I would think your looking at really old stock. I would need to know if it is FH, FJ, or something else to tell you about the quality of the engine and what it was designed to do. As to quality and life of the mower however I can assure you that bobcat will hold its own, and in fact will have a longer warranty then the scag. Let me know what you find out as to the age of the unit as Scag has had a few bad years just like the others, a 48" mower sitting around that long would likely be one of them.

ericj88
02-13-2013, 07:36 PM
I did not think that Kawasaki was using KAI anymore I would think your looking at really old stock. I would need to know if it is FH, FJ, or something else to tell you about the quality of the engine and what it was designed to do. As to quality and life of the mower however I can assure you that bobcat will hold its own, and in fact will have a longer warranty then the scag. Let me know what you find out as to the age of the unit as Scag has had a few bad years just like the others, a 48" mower sitting around that long would likely be one of them.

The dealer said it was about two years old, and it was the last scag they had left since they quit selling the brand. Im not sure which motor it is though. Which one (FH or FJ) is the one with a bad reputation? What were the issues with it?

dpld
02-13-2013, 08:02 PM
The dealer said it was about two years old, and it was the last scag they had left since they quit selling the brand. Im not sure which motor it is though. Which one (FH or FJ) is the one with a bad reputation? What were the issues with it?

i would take wandfsmall's advice because he knows his stuff about these things and probably more so then most of us.

considering how many mowers get bought every year by landscapers i would be a little suspect about any new machine that has been sitting in a dealer for 2 years.
there has to be something at odds with it for it to have been passed by for 2 years.
i am sure the guy may give you a good deal price wise but that will go right out the door if it is a dud with a inferior motor.

ericj88
02-13-2013, 08:22 PM
i would take wandfsmall's advice because he knows his stuff about these things and probably more so then most of us.

considering how many mowers get bought every year by landscapers i would be a little suspect about any new machine that has been sitting in a dealer for 2 years.
there has to be something at odds with it for it to have been passed by for 2 years.
i am sure the guy may give you a good deal price wise but that will go right out the door if it is a dud with a inferior motor.

I am considering passing it up, as I have been trying to research the 19hp kai. Seems it is a FH580v at 585cc. I have read the older kawasaki (non kai
fh601v) 19hp is actually 675cc and is thought to be a better motor.

$6500.00 for a scag 48" is a good price with no hours on it. I am leary though as their must be a reason its still for sale. I found a new 52" tigercat for $8200.00, which is comparable to the bobcat procat's I have looked at. I like both of them, and am still undecided.

phouse65
02-14-2013, 08:18 AM
I have a 48 Tiger Cub (2009 they were Cub not Cat), it is the best piece of equipment. Never had a problem and runs awesome. I have the 26HP Briggs and Stratton in mine. I paid $6,200 bran d new. They had got all the 2010 models in and sold off the 2009 for cheap. If you want more HP or a different engine, look around and haggle with these dealers. Either way, just take care of the mower by doing the upkeep that it requires (grease spindles a couple times a week, change oil) and you will love it.

Mowin4Dollas
02-14-2013, 08:41 AM
If your a bigger guy, this mower isn't very roomy. I felt like I was sitting in a Pre school chair. I'm 6'2 and about 235.

wandfsmall
02-14-2013, 09:11 AM
I am considering passing it up, as I have been trying to research the 19hp kai. Seems it is a FH580v at 585cc. I have read the older kawasaki (non kai

$6500.00 for a scag 48" is a good price with no hours on it. I am leary though as their must be a reason its still for sale. I found a new 52" tigercat for $8200.00, which is comparable to the bobcat procat's I have looked at. I like both of them, and am still undecided.

Here are some facts about mowers that most people on this site do not seem to understand.

1)Every mower has a weak area and every mower has a strong area

2)Every Mower manufacture has bad models(and not every tiger cub is not the same model they like most other companies use model numbers) Some of the better dealers can see some of this in advance and avoid them if they can.

3)For the most part you can not tell what mower cut the grass as any of the better quality commercial mowers do about the same job.

4)The mechanic that setup the mower is more important to the life and cut quality then the brand on the mower unless you are willing and able to redo the job when you buy it.

wandfsmall
02-14-2013, 09:21 AM

The best advice I can give you is pick a mower you like from a dealer that will likely be around in a few years to help you if you need it and sell you parts at a decent price. Forget about what you read online, or see on other guys trailers the biggest dealer in a lot of cases will not be the best dealer for service and price. And I have no clue as the the quality of the mechanic setting up the mowers you are looking at.

Matther777
02-15-2013, 04:40 PM
I read somewhere in Consumer Reports that a type of Kawasaki Motors went on recall do to some electrical issue and catching fire. Now I am not saying they make a horrible product. I am just letting you know find out if that mower doesnt have the bad engine before you purchase it.

Ray
02-15-2013, 09:16 PM
HI, Try not to bad mouth any one or any brand but will give you a take on our experience. 5 mounths into our first year we won a bid for a fairly good size condo association, our first thought was to keep our used toro walk behind and buy a new zero turn, for piece of mind etc.
short story, bought a new scag 48" tiger cub
positives: very well built deck,spindles frame etc, didnt feel it was underpowered at all.
negatives: eats blades bigtime, after 200 hours or so started to have electrical problems blowing fuses, then not charging battery.
at 300 hours, blew a head, dealer said missed warranty period, estimate around 1500 to fix, offered us 2000 on a trade.wow 2000 on an 8500 dollar purchase that needs a head, really?
bottom line the scag is sitting in our shop for a year now waiting for me to find time to replace head, went out and bought another new toro walk behind and yes the original toro walk behind is still up and running strong
other friends of mine have scags that have been run to the end and they never had any problems. luck of the draw i guess! have a great day all!

wandfsmall
02-17-2013, 01:51 PM
I read somewhere in Consumer Reports that a type of Kawasaki Motors went on recall do to some electrical issue and catching fire. Now I am not saying they make a horrible product. I am just letting you know find out if that mower doesnt have the bad engine before you purchase it.

The only recall lately on a Kawasaki that had to do with fires was a fuel filter that could crack and leak if the ethanol was high enough. This was a simple fix of replacing the fuel filter. I also do not know of any act fire caused by this issue just the possibility of one.

wandfsmall
02-17-2013, 01:54 PM
HI, Try not to bad mouth any one or any brand but will give you a take on our experience. 5 mounths into our first year we won a bid for a fairly good size condo association, our first thought was to keep our used toro walk behind and buy a new zero turn, for piece of mind etc.
short story, bought a new scag 48" tiger cub
positives: very well built deck,spindles frame etc, didnt feel it was underpowered at all.
negatives: eats blades bigtime, after 200 hours or so started to have electrical problems blowing fuses, then not charging battery.
at 300 hours, blew a head, dealer said missed warranty period, estimate around 1500 to fix, offered us 2000 on a trade.wow 2000 on an 8500 dollar purchase that needs a head, really?
bottom line the scag is sitting in our shop for a year now waiting for me to find time to replace head, went out and bought another new toro walk behind and yes the original toro walk behind is still up and running strong
other friends of mine have scags that have been run to the end and they never had any problems. luck of the draw i guess! have a great day all!

Wow 1500 to replace a head seems a little high, I have never put out a bill other then replacement engine near that high.

ericj88
02-18-2013, 10:20 PM
I passed on the tiger cat. I decided that was the best option due to that 2-3 year old machine sitting there all this time.

I bought a ferris is1500zx 52" with a 23hp kawasaki. I liked the oversized spindle bearings, 12cc hydro pumps, and the cool looking suspension lol
It cuts well, is quick, and I got it for 6500 new

I dont like how the foot plate and pully cover bolts down, but I am looking to modify that. Other than that I have no complaints. Im looking forward to making some money with it soon. Thanks for the responses