PDA

View Full Version : Introduction & Advice Plea

kazer
02-13-2013, 06:15 AM
Hello everyone! I'm currently in the process of starting my own lawn care business, along with my sister. We both have experience working at the same mowing and landscaping business, I was there for 8 years and my sister for 5 years. We were sick of the poor management there but we love this kind of work, so we decided to go out on our own. Starting out, we are planning to do spring cleanup, mulching, mowing, shrubbery trimming, and fall cleanup; residential and hopefully commercial as well.

I would love advice in two areas.
1. Contracts- Do I need them? What all should be included on it?
2. Bidding jobs- At my previous job I did a little bidding for mowing, but for everything else, I'm kinda clueless.
-Mulching- I have a pick up with a dump so I can buy in bulk, what should I charge for the mulch pick up? Should I have a hourly price for spreading the mulch and then charge for how long it took? Or do I need to come up with a quote with how long I think it will take and that's what it will cost no matter what?
-Cleanups and Shrubbery Trimming- Again, should I have a set hourly price and then charge for however long it took us or guess a time and give a quote and that's what it will cost?
So far I really like this forum! Thanks in advance for any tips!

patrick6411
02-13-2013, 06:39 AM
1. Contracts- Do I need them? What all should be included on it?

Depends on you really. I use them this way the customer feels more secure.
Find forms and contracts here (http://www.gopherforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34) There is a lot of useful material there.

2. Bidding jobs- At my previous job I did a little bidding for mowing, but for everything else, I'm kinda clueless.

For now bid on your time it takes you to complete the job. Do this until you get experienced with bidding.

-Mulching- I have a pick up with a dump so I can buy in bulk, what should I charge for the mulch pick up? Should I have a hourly price for spreading the mulch and then charge for how long it took? Or do I need to come up with a quote with how long I think it will take and that's what it will cost no matter what?

I buy in bulk, also. Your area determans your price. Price it the same as above add a delivery fee, markup fee and prep fee.

-Cleanups and Shrubbery Trimming- Again, should I have a set hourly price and then charge for however long it took us or guess a time and give a quote and that's what it will cost?

Yes but don't never tell your customers what your hourly price is.

Good luck with your new company. Remember the harder you work the more you will get out of it.

Steve
02-13-2013, 01:06 PM
Welcome to our forum!

What was it about the previous company's management did you not like and how will you manage your business differently?

mike affordable
02-15-2013, 07:59 AM
Good luck to you and your sister.lawn care can be very profitable