PDA

View Full Version : Hello Everyone from NPM LLC!

NPM_LLC
02-06-2013, 02:44 PM
Hello Everyone,

My name is Nick, owner of Nick's Property Maintenance, LLC in Western NY. Last year was my first year as an actual business, although I have been doing lawn mowing and landscaping for over 3 years on the side. It is now my full time gig as I have expanded durastically over the last 3 years and have acquired snowplowing too. We basically take care of all of the customers outdoor needs.

Steve
02-07-2013, 11:47 AM
Hi Nick,

Welcome to our forum!

What kinds of marketing did you do to expand your business in it's first three years? Was there one method you liked over the others?

NPM_LLC
02-07-2013, 12:52 PM
Hey Steve,

Thanks. I joined after always seeing your site popping up when I wanted to use calculators and other lawn mowing, snowplowing tips.

To be honest, I have not done any marketing. I tried the newspaper last fall to prepare for snowplowing but got 1 call after advertising for over a month. All of my business has been word of mouth or walking in to a business or to a persons house and throwing them a number to provide them with my services. So far, so good. I've expanded from 8 lawns (3 years ago) to now hitting 50+ for this season! I'm very excited to see what this year has in store for me.

Steve
02-08-2013, 11:05 AM
Do you suggest any methods for increasing word of mouth? Do you ask customers for referrals?

NPM_LLC
02-12-2013, 01:19 PM
People just see me mowing and the questioning begins. Free estimates, I never say no to anyone about giving a quote or wanting me to look at their property. I also am very fair and don't need to make a million bucks off from people.

Steve
02-13-2013, 11:58 AM
That's great!

As you look around at your competitors over the past three years, what do you think have been some of the big reasons many haven't made it as far as you and as long as you have?

NPM_LLC
02-15-2013, 12:20 PM
The biggest thing is that people think they have to have the top of the line equipment and go in way over their head on finances. I bought a cub cadet (home depot) zero turn in 2008..still have it and use however I am purchasing a big mower this march, but after 3-4 years of mowing I can now afford to pay for one. Another thing is that I'm very picky about my work (hence why I don't have any employees and do over 50+ lawns a week). I make the customers lawn look like I would want my own!

fieroboi
02-15-2013, 12:24 PM
The biggest thing is that people think they have to have the top of the line equipment and go in way over their head on finances. I bought a cub cadet (home depot) zero turn in 2008..still have it and use however I am purchasing a big mower this march, but after 3-4 years of mowing I can now afford to pay for one. Another thing is that I'm very picky about my work (hence why I don't have any employees and do over 50+ lawns a week). I make the customers lawn look like I would want my own!

Couldn't agree with you more. Your on the right track, took me three years to get to a stage of hiring an employee. Financing equipment is foolish in my books. There is such a thing as renting expensive pieces to start. Welcome to the site!

Lloyd
Blue's Yard FX
Camrose, AB

NPM_LLC
02-15-2013, 12:32 PM
Thanks Lloyd! I started doing this stuff 3-4 years ago on the side and is now my "gig". I'm only 27 though so I think I'm headed in the right direction. Atleast things seem to be going well so far! Just keeping my head high and looking forward.

Steve
02-15-2013, 01:39 PM
I am purchasing a big mower this march, but after 3-4 years of mowing I can now afford to pay for one.

Do you advice only purchase what you can pay for in cash or do you use financing and keep the cash in an account?