PDA

View Full Version : Zero Turn CHOICES

gomarshall12
02-01-2013, 02:52 PM
Walk behind or sit down Zero Turn mower?

Which is faster?

What are the Pros and Cons of each???

LawnBoy0311
02-01-2013, 04:22 PM
It really all depends on the property your cutting. Can you be more specific?

gomarshall12
02-01-2013, 04:59 PM
It really all depends on the property your cutting. Can you be more specific?

I mainly, 18 out of 20 lawns, will be flat. The other two have back yard hills that I went up and down no problem with on a lawn tractor before. Some of the 20 lawns are commerical businesses.

My understanding is the walk behind can go about 6mph with a rider going 11-13 on average. Someone also told me that you can adjust the speed by adjusting the hydros and set it tp go faster, but ideally at 8mph.

SECTLANDSCAPING
02-01-2013, 07:00 PM
If you get a commercial ZTR or stander you can go 9-15mph.

If you get a homeowner ZTR you'll go 4.5-6mph.

A hydro walk behind can go 5-8mph.

A belt walk behind maybe 4-6mph.

Some of it is just preference. Usually a walk behind and stander will do best on hills. The rest is if you prefer to sit, stand or walk. I find a stander to have the best visibility. A ZTR is the best bagger.

gomarshall12
02-03-2013, 09:30 PM
If you get a commercial ZTR or stander you can go 9-15mph.

If you get a homeowner ZTR you'll go 4.5-6mph.

A hydro walk behind can go 5-8mph.

A belt walk behind maybe 4-6mph.

Some of it is just preference. Usually a walk behind and stander will do best on hills. The rest is if you prefer to sit, stand or walk. I find a stander to have the best visibility. A ZTR is the best bagger.

Do you get tired standing all day on the walk behind with a sulky attached? That is something I am also considering the fatigue, sitting is just easier. But the faster I can go the more effiecient I am, but also have to factor in my quality of cut, being 9pmh is as fast as I would go to get a good quality cut.

Caskey Lawns & Landscapes
02-04-2013, 10:10 AM
I don't think speed should be a major factor in deciding which mower too buy :confused:

There are very few lawns that a unit can be ran at top speeds and still give quality results :eek:

smallstripeslawncare
02-23-2013, 10:48 AM
I have a Gravely Pro Turn 152 with a 23HP Kohler EFI and a 36in Gravely Hydro walk behind and from my experience The ztr is faster on certain properties. The ones that are more open and flat the ztr is faster and you have to remember that you can't go as fast as the mower can go because your cut quality will be very bad.

Now the walk behind is faster on smaller lawns that aren't as open and is better on hills. Plus its easier to not tear up the turf with a walk behind in my opinion because you have more room to turn in tight spots where the ztr you don't really.