PDA

View Full Version : My First "Official" Season ... Could use some advice

gomarshall12
02-01-2013, 02:11 PM
Hello, I am starting my lawn care business for the first time this year, "Officially." I say that because last year I was only a senior in high school and did this on the side, i had a solid 15 cliets including 2 businesses. This year I am looking to expand and become legal. I am in the process of acquiring my business license etc. I have a few questions...

1. I am trying to decide on the name: Brandon's Lawn Care (What I did last year) or something like "Red Carpet Lawn Care" with the slogan "A cut above the rest" just to stand out a bit more.

2. Last year I used a regular lawn tractor and I am looking to move up to a z turn mower... what would be a good one to look at for quality and price, and should I use the normal z turn or a walk behind with a sulky?

3. My marketing plans are to use door hangers first time around. A week later I plan on simply knocking on doors and introducing myself (Worked well last year), getting a car magnet and some signs to hang up. Anything I am missing marketing wise?

4. With businesses should I use a contract? I do not like using them for residential in seeing that cliets do not seem to like them very much.

All help on this would be great.

I am also attaching picture of my quality of work from last year, and a fun fact, I have a 5x8 trailer that I pull with my 2011 corolla sport 5sp ... Yes, you read that correctly.

LawnBoy0311
02-01-2013, 04:31 PM
Congrats Brandon. Dream it. Build it. Gopher it!

Sounds like your off to a good start. Advertise, advertise, advertise!

Matther777
02-02-2013, 06:06 PM
I am in the same boat working on starting my business this year. Still trying to figure out a name. I will say this. I have told many of my friends that I starting this business up and I have people already interested. Word of mouth is very amazing I would recommend ordering business cards. Can you explain to me why people do not like contracts? I was thinking of using contracts. What is your take on that

gomarshall12
02-03-2013, 09:27 PM
I am in the same boat working on starting my business this year. Still trying to figure out a name. I will say this. I have told many of my friends that I starting this business up and I have people already interested. Word of mouth is very amazing I would recommend ordering business cards. Can you explain to me why people do not like contracts? I was thinking of using contracts. What is your take on that

Yes, business cards are good and you are correct about word of mouth. Also, try walking around your key neighborhoods that you are interested in and go door to door. Introduce yourself, tell them what you are doing, hand them a business card and say that you can give them a free estimate here on the spot, if not feel free to call me back anytime and I would be more than happy to come back.

The reason people, that I have found and hear from other businesses, that they do not like contracts is that they feel stuck. Your quality of work should be enough to keep them. SELLING POINT! Tell them no contract requried because you pride yourself on your quality of work and customer satisfaction. Only if it is over $5,000 total job, or any commercial job, would I use a contract.

Good luck in starting, hope you are very successful !

Steve
02-04-2013, 12:30 PM
Welcome to our forum!

I am also attaching picture of my quality of work from last year, and a fun fact, I have a 5x8 trailer that I pull with my 2011 corolla sport 5sp ... Yes, you read that correctly.

I'd love to see the picture.

1. I am trying to decide on the name: Brandon's Lawn Care (What I did last year) or something like "Red Carpet Lawn Care" with the slogan "A cut above the rest" just to stand out a bit more.

Either of those names would work fine.

should I use the normal z turn or a walk behind with a sulky?
Based on the properties you have, would one better be able to get through fences?

Anything I am missing marketing wise?
What about your internet marketing plan? Are you creating a website or using craigslist or anything like that?

4. With businesses should I use a contract? I do not like using them for residential in seeing that cliets do not seem to like them very much.

I'd suggest only going towards commercial clients once you are comfortable with the profit you are making with your residentials. Yes I do think contracts would be beneficial then. They may even require you to use theirs.