PDA

View Full Version : John Deere or Husqvarna (Need some help on deciding which one to buy)

Michaelslandscape
01-29-2013, 04:48 PM
I am going to Lowes Thursday to pick up a zero-turn mower. I am going to have to start out with a lower end mower untill I can afford a good commericail grade one. Anyway I have 2 that Im considering and would like any feedback on these 2.

John Deere or Husvarna.
I wont be using these except on large properties so they might get used as often as my walk behind mowers.
Any opinions other than "get a good commercial mower" would be appreciated. I have only these 2 options right now as I am going to be paying for them with my Lowes CC.
Thanks

willshome
01-29-2013, 05:43 PM
How many lawns do you have that one of these mowers are needed? I know you said you have Lowe's card but Wright Stander 36" is not that much more money and last year my dealer had 0% for 48 months (maybe cheaper by the end)

SECTLANDSCAPING
01-29-2013, 06:01 PM
I believe these have the same parts. I would look up the model numbers and check the pumps. Other then flimsy decks its the pumps that separate commercial from residential.

I remember the cub rzt and toro timecutter being the exact same mower as the craftsman/mtd. So I really wouldnt be surprised if this is the same.

LawnBoy0311
01-29-2013, 06:29 PM
Is that your guard dog sitting on the JD???

wat5150
01-29-2013, 06:50 PM
get a good commercial mower.

bruces
01-29-2013, 07:15 PM
cheese has a toro or two from homo depot and has been pretty happy with them ,I would eagle eye the ones in the land of the orange,then get the most comparable one at lowes .

daddy03w
01-29-2013, 08:27 PM
You can find some good commercial mowers on craigslist if you look

cpenn481
01-29-2013, 09:54 PM
My. O2 worth. I recently bought a residential ztr and did a ton of research before I bought it. The research and reviews on both the mowers you are looking at weren't exactly all good. Many folks reported numerous problems with them both but just as many said great things too so I would take the time to read up on them and discount the idiots cause there were a few. Both are probably fine units. Personally I went with the toro from home depot. They too have a zero percent card offer going and pretty much begged me to take one but I passed on it. If you already have a lowes card they may do the same for you. The Toro mx 4260 is in the same price range you are looking at but comes with better hydros and a welded deck which looks pretty tough. Also a 23 hp kawi. I really wanted that machine but somehow my Son talked me into a ss5000 because of its bigger deck. Truth was both machines made the cub ztrs and the ss4235 look substandard when side by side. So far we are pleased with our purchase, my son believes he could use the 5000 as a bush hog. All that said I believe both will work ok for you but you also owe it to yourself to go by hd and check out their line up. Good luck, hope this helps.

Greg'slawnandlandscape
01-29-2013, 10:27 PM
Go husqvarna but go with the rz5426 for two reasons a bigger blade deck and it has wider front tires which helps glide across grass the other ones have skinny tires that look like they would sink in right away. I have a husquvarna and it does everything I tell it to and lowes has the optional warranty package for if it breaks down they fix it 100% there cost I have had no problems with my machine and it does everything tow to mow. Plus the blade deck is so easy to take on and off. Remember with the lowes warranty that's 4 years of no repairs at cost to you and save recites for all parts you buy for the mower and send them to the warranty company for 25% reimbursement (blades,belts,filters,oil,and some accesorys)

bruces
01-29-2013, 11:57 PM
I forgot that hedgemaster had purchased a husky a year ago at Sears ,he never cut any grass with it but was spotted running it around his yard in the winter .He had all kinds of little glitches with it ,but I think he bought it at a clearance centre so who knows what people fiddled with while it was still on the showroom floor .His thread should be fairly easy to find,even though he appears to have disappeared himself .

Michaelslandscape
01-30-2013, 06:26 AM
OK.... Thanks for the OP's.
Lawnboy, yes that is my 4lb guard dog. He thinks hes a 40lb Rottweiler. I would rather go to HD and get a Toro but applying for another CC is out of the question. I have read a ton of reviews on these 2 and as Cpen said your gonna get alot of haters and people who havent had a problem. Im looking at this season and next before my buisness plan will allow me to upgrade to a commercial Z-turn. And the 3 or 4 year 100% warranty is a great selling point. It will still have a year or 2 left on the warranty when I sell it so I should be able to recoup a good part of my investment.
And Wat5150, I think your reply was defintely the best. I hadnt even considered just going out and getting a good comm. mower. I appreciate that.
FYI for anyone who is having a cash flow problem and needs some equipment in a hurry.
I purchased 3 Toro and 1 Troy Bilt push mowers from HD and Lowes. They are all residential models that I picked up from their re-con section. I have 6 Lowes and Home Depot stores that I check out every couple of weeks. I paid a total of about $500.00 for all 4. I made offers on all of them for a hell of alot less than their already marked down price. They just wanted them out of the store. I picked up one for $50.00 that was marked "for parts only". It needed a belt, blade and blade adaptor and that was it. It started second pull and runs as smooth as new. I purchased 2 at once for $300.00 that they were asking $275.00 each. These are $350 to $400 mowers so for a very small investment Ive got plenty of mowers to get started.
I you have the time its worth hitting up HD and Lowes this time of year and see what they have sitting out in the garden dept collecting dust. Talk with the dept manager and make them an offer. They can sell them for what ever they want and sometimes they just want them out of there. Be super nice and tell them you are in a crunch and need there help. Believe it or not most of the time they will work with you. And having a cute little 4lb Chihuahua that the girls (and most of the men) that work there cant get enough of helps out alot. They get so busy playing with my dog they just get a real giving attitude. (I love that dog!)

Michaelslandscape
01-30-2013, 07:56 AM
Tips for anyone wanting to get some reconditioned equipment from Lowes or Home Depot.
They work like this. A customer brings back a mower and says he / she doesnt like it, or it wont start, or some other excuse. Alot of the times people will come in, buy a mower, power washer, etc.. go use it for a couple of jobs they need it for then return it for any numbers of excuses. And Lowes and Home Depot have a pretty much no questions return policy.
So they get back a bunch of mowers, weed eaters, blowers, power washers that they cant sell as new anymore. So they send them off to the service dept. to get them checked out; they get sent back to the store and put in the returned or reconditioned section. Alot of the time a mower will get sent to the service dept. the service tech will look under the mower see it with grass caked all over the underside and say to himself "Im not messin with this ****! Then it gets sent back to the store as unrepairable and sold as "parts only" when there usually isnt anything wrong with it. And if there is something major wrong with it you just return it and say you changed your mind. Its worth spending an hour going over a $400 mower you picked up for $50.00 to see if it can be fixed for another $50.00. Look for the plastic zip-lock bag on these re-cons. It will have the service report in it. It will also say what the customer brought it back for; how much time Lowes or HD has aloted to repair it and the service techs report on what he did or didnt do. Usually if its going to cost more than $100.00 to repair it is sent back as un-repairable when actually it is repairable, just not for the amount of time and money its worth to a mega-company who will just write off the loss.

Steve
01-30-2013, 11:15 AM
Keep us posted on what you decide to go with and why.

SECTLANDSCAPING
01-30-2013, 11:56 AM
Neither store will honor warranties. There limited warranties. All are dependent on what the hour meter says. They have the right to refuse repairs. Youll have to pay transportation which will be half way across the county.

When one of my backpacks blew up. I was picking it up from the shop. He told me not to fix mine and buy new. He said Redmax has a 3 yr warranty. So I ask what it covers? The response was manufacture defects. So if it doesnt meltdown within a few hours use, your on the hook.

LawnBoy0311
01-30-2013, 12:35 PM
Neither store will honor warranties. There limited warranties. All are dependent on what the hour meter says. They have the right to refuse repairs. Youll have to pay transportation which will be half way across the county.

When one of my backpacks blew up. I was picking it up from the shop. He told me not to fix mine and buy new. He said Redmax has a 3 yr warranty. So I ask what it covers? The response was manufacture defects. So if it doesnt meltdown within a few hours use, your on the hook.

Exactly true. When I bought my Toro, it didn't come with an hour meter. The warramty is for homeowner use. If they find out you use it for comemrcial use, the warranty is null and void. The mechanic (who is one of the shop owners) that brought it outside for me asked what I was using it for. I told him to cut a few houses I own. He laughed and said if it every goes down, just bring it back. Then he laughed and said well since theres no hour meter, I guess I'll never know what you use it for!

I'm sure home depot or lowes won't be as generous. BUT, with the amount of $$ it cost for a brand new machine, you can certainly make that money back.

Good luck.

SECTLANDSCAPING
01-30-2013, 01:11 PM
Exactly true. When I bought my Toro, it didn't come with an hour meter. The warramty is for homeowner use. If they find out you use it for comemrcial use, the warranty is null and void. The mechanic (who is one of the shop owners) that brought it outside for me asked what I was using it for. I told him to cut a few houses I own. He laughed and said if it every goes down, just bring it back. Then he laughed and said well since theres no hour meter, I guess I'll never know what you use it for!

I'm sure home depot or lowes won't be as generous. BUT, with the amount of $$ it cost for a brand new machine, you can certainly make that money back.

Good luck.
Your dealing with a dealer and not a box store. Even the dealers I talk to about commercial machines were iffy with warranties. Its like if you hit a rock and damage a spindle. Its not covered because the factory didnt cause the problem. Your cylinder scored after 10 hours well your mix was wrong. Theres so many loopholes. You can deal with a dealer too. He has to deal with a distribution center. Those are the people that ship the mowers to the store. There might be 5 in the country.

I have read enough stories from people who own commercial machines. Its similar to what the big 3 car makers do. You have a 50,000 mile warranty but every repair is going to be a fight to get the automaker to fix. Youll end up paying and waiting for ever for a reimbursement. Even then $1000 repair on a $20000 car is worth it. A $1000 repair on a $2200 machine? You could put a new engine in a commercial mower for that.

LawnBoy0311
01-30-2013, 01:37 PM
Your dealing with a dealer and not a box store. Even the dealers I talk to about commercial machines were iffy with warranties. Its like if you hit a rock and damage a spindle. Its not covered because the factory didnt cause the problem. Your cylinder scored after 10 hours well your mix was wrong. Theres so many loopholes. You can deal with a dealer too. He has to deal with a distribution center. Those are the people that ship the mowers to the store. There might be 5 in the country.

I have read enough stories from people who own commercial machines. Its similar to what the big 3 car makers do. You have a 50,000 mile warranty but every repair is going to be a fight to get the automaker to fix. Youll end up paying and waiting for ever for a reimbursement. Even then $1000 repair on a $20000 car is worth it. A $1000 repair on a $2200 machine? You could put a new engine in a commercial mower for that.

That makes a ton of sense. I'm still happy with my purchase, its done VERY well for me. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. On the other hand, I never really looked at it like a car. Glad to know going forward when I upgrade!! Thanks Sect.

stevef1201
01-30-2013, 02:46 PM
The very fist problem I see with your post is -going to home depot to buy a zero turn! Go to a cammercial mower supplier and a real mower. It cost a lot, it lasts longer, cuts better, cuts faster, and is in the long run cheaper.

Greg'slawnandlandscape
01-30-2013, 03:32 PM
If u get the optional lowes warrenty they will warrenty it for commercial use and there is no hour meter limit on all machines I bought mine in may and I did all the research on it (including warrenty specifications)

cpenn481
01-30-2013, 11:21 PM
I love the recon section myself. Got a 4cycle edger from it. It was dumb luck when I did. Up till then I didn't know about it. I stumbled by a row of equipment which had the edger in it. It was marked at 150 so I stopped to take a look. The story was somebody bought it and used it once but then sat and carbs gummed up. They put a new carb and blade on it. I told the guy I would give him 100 if he proved it runs. He pulled it once and it fired up. Was a cold daytoo as I recall. Has fired first pull every time since. I got a $450 machine for a hundred and couldnt be happier with it. I always cruise that row now. Ya just never know what you will find.

bruces
01-30-2013, 11:34 PM
we dont have a row like that up here ,the store jams all the returned crap outside into the back of the paver dept. ,and whenever I ask they say not for sale .All last summer there must of been 20 toro recyclers there amongst everything else and they wouldnt part with any of them .

LawnBoy0311
01-31-2013, 05:33 AM
I have one in mine. Sometimes you find good stuff. It's like going on a dman treasure hunt to find it though.

The last time there was some pretty beat up stuff. I'll have to try next time and make an offer and see what they do! Thanks for that advice!

Michaelslandscape
01-31-2013, 05:17 PM
Steve,
I went with the Husqvarna RZ5426. Based on the reviews and Husqvarnas reputation I think for a non-commercial grade mower it was the best choice for the money. As far as how well it handles and holds up time will tell.

As a bonus I picked up 2 Husqvarna HU700FH ft-lbs 22-in Self-Propelled mowers that had been returned and had been sitting in the re-con area since November. They were asking $263.00 for one and $249.00 for the other. I offered $350.00 to take both of them and he said OK without blinking an eye. I probably could have got them for $300.00 but they retail for $329.00 each and there is nothing wrong with either of them other than they were used a couple of times and returned.

lov2mow
02-03-2013, 07:28 AM
Dont be penny wise and pound follish, if you are serious about the lawn buisness buy a good commercial mower. time is money. you can mow when the grass is wet, its faster, better cut, and wont allways break down. it will pay for itself in no time. you will also be able to take on more lawns and that will help pay for it.

LawnCareMan280
02-03-2013, 09:54 AM
I think you need a good commercial mower. I got a John Deere LX280 Lawn Tractor 48" deck non commercial. If you are looking for a good commercial mower I think you could go off with a gravely 260 z. My, uncle had this mower and it rocked nice zero turn capability for your large properties. But, the best commercial mower you should get a Toro Grandstand here's the link to check them out.http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU1FDzf0YMo Hoped this helped!

Travis

LawnBoy0311
02-03-2013, 02:38 PM
I read somewhere the Husqvarna's were really good. I just wish I remember where I read it....

SECTLANDSCAPING
02-03-2013, 03:32 PM
Dont be penny wise and pound follish, if you are serious about the lawn buisness buy a good commercial mower. time is money. you can mow when the grass is wet, its faster, better cut, and wont allways break down. it will pay for itself in no time. you will also be able to take on more lawns and that will help pay for it.

People dont understand this. They see reviews how they held up for a year or two for a homeowner and think its quality. They dont realize a commercial machine will last 10-20 years. My newest mower is 5 years old and my oldest is 21 years old.

willshome
02-03-2013, 04:12 PM
People dont understand this. They see reviews how they held up for a year or two for a homeowner and think its quality.

Dog years are 1 year = 7 dog year
lawn care business are 1 week = 1 year (most home owners mow 30 times a year, we mow 30+ times a week)

Michaelslandscape
02-04-2013, 07:39 AM
I want to thank everyone for their comments, opinions and advise. I really mean that.
I tried to really make it clear in my original post that I didnt have the money or the credit to go buy good commercial quality equipment right now. I am not ignorant of the fact that commercial equipment is the way to go. This is my first year and Im going to have to try and get by with what I can afford without breaking the bank or going into debt that I cant afford to repay.
Having said that I have 5 new walk behind mowers that I paid about $600.00 total for. I bought the Husqvarana RZ 5426 on credit at Lowes because thats the only credit source I have right now. I purchased 2 new Echo SRM 225 line trimmers off of E-Bay, one for $129 and one for $159. I also bought 2 new Husqvarna 125 B leaf blowers for $79.00 each. I still have enough money left for advertising, to buy a new 6x12 landscaping trailer and have enough money left to open my buisness checking account and have some available cash for unexpected things that might come up.
Ive done everything I can possibly do to get ready for the spring.
Why everyone keeps advising me to get things I dont have the money for I dont understand. I was hoping for some advice on which of the 2 zero-turn's to get, thats all. Thanks for all the advice but your telling me things I already know. Just because this is my first year doesnt mean I dont have a clue. I have been doing lawn care work on the side for about 10 years now and have 2 good freinds that have lawn care buisnesses. I have thought this through and been realistic about what I can and cant afford. Im not going to lay out my entire buisness plan here but I do know quite a bit more than the average guy who just jumps into this buisness.
So for those of you who are telling me that i need to get a good commercial mower...... No Sh**! Thanks for bringing that to my attention, I never even thought about just going out and spending 10 or 20 thousand and starting out with the best equipment available.
How many of you had the money and just went out and bought the best commercial equipment in your first year. If you did good for you, I just am not as fortunate as you were money wise.
YOU HAVE TO START SOMEWHERE! So get of my butt for not buying things I dont have the money for.
Thanks for all the advice.

Michaelslandscape
02-04-2013, 08:45 AM
Go husqvarna but go with the rz5426 for two reasons a bigger blade deck and it has wider front tires which helps glide across grass the other ones have skinny tires that look like they would sink in right away. I have a husquvarna and it does everything I tell it to and lowes has the optional warranty package for if it breaks down they fix it 100% there cost I have had no problems with my machine and it does everything tow to mow. Plus the blade deck is so easy to take on and off. Remember with the lowes warranty that's 4 years of no repairs at cost to you and save recites for all parts you buy for the mower and send them to the warranty company for 25% reimbursement (blades,belts,filters,oil,and some accesorys)

Thanks for the advice, I did go with the RZ5426. It looks alot more durable than the JD and its a little faster and tighter. I didnt buy the extended Lowes warranty. I was right up front with the dept. manager who I know very well. He told me if I had problems with it 6 months from now and brought it in for repairs with to many hours for residential use they woulodnt honor the warranty so Ill put that money in the bank and use for repairs if and when I need it.
I appreciate the advice though.

Michaelslandscape
02-04-2013, 08:48 AM
I think you need a good commercial mower. I got a John Deere LX280 Lawn Tractor 48" deck non commercial. If you are looking for a good commercial mower I think you could go off with a gravely 260 z. My, uncle had this mower and it rocked nice zero turn capability for your large properties. But, the best commercial mower you should get a Toro Grandstand here's the link to check them out.http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU1FDzf0YMo Hoped this helped!

Travis

Thanks Travis,
As soon as I can afford to get a comm model Ill keep that in mind. Right now Im gonna have to make it work with the $$ i have available.
I appreciate the advice

Michaelslandscape
02-04-2013, 08:51 AM
The very fist problem I see with your post is -going to home depot to buy a zero turn! Go to a cammercial mower supplier and a real mower. It cost a lot, it lasts longer, cuts better, cuts faster, and is in the long run cheaper.

Steve,
If you had read my original thread you would have seen that money was an issueright now. So you saying the first problem with my thread is going to Lowes to get a Z-turn tells me you didnt bother to read the whole thing

Caskey Lawns & Landscapes
02-04-2013, 09:01 AM
The best advice I can give you is too not put yourself into debt to the point that every cent you make the first year or so goes to paying off your debt...It takes a few years to get a business rolling and there will be many times you feel like throwing in the towel....

Start with what you can afford regardless of what other's tell you to buy...I started with all used equipment and I still have much of it...I just bought my first new zero turn this year and this will be my third year in business for myself....

Get out there and meet people !!! hand out business cards to everyone, make up flyers and drop them off at local business's, Take good care of your customers and don't take on more than you are ready to handle...

I wish you the best this season............

SECTLANDSCAPING
02-04-2013, 12:01 PM
No Sh**! Thanks for bringing that to my attention, I never even thought about just going out and spending 10 or 20 thousand and starting out with the best equipment available.
How many of you had the money and just went out and bought the best commercial equipment in your first year. If you did good for you, I just am not as fortunate as you were money wise.
YOU HAVE TO START SOMEWHERE! So get of my butt for not buying things I dont have the money for.
Thanks for all the advice.

No one started with 20k in equipment. We all bought used! I started with a $100 trailer frame, $800 truck and a 44" toro walk behind that I bought for $300. The only thing that I still have is that mower.

I have a whole basement full of weedwackers, handheld blowers, that are worthless because the names on them.

When you buy something knowing you have to replace its a waste of money. I did it with several things thinking I only need it for this job or a few months.

If you have good enough credit for a lowes card. You have good enough credit to get dealer financing or a regular credit card.

You had options. You couldve used your lowes card for the trailer. You couldve bartered with someone that needed something at lowes. ie: Trade $1000 in lumber for $1000 in cash.

Everything in this picture was $2600. Thats both zero turns, trailer and the honda. I ran them hard and never had a problem. Ill put either one of these mowers against yours and will still be running them in 5 years. When its all said and done we paid the same.
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t132/dirtypockets/IMG_20120906_181840.jpg

wandfsmall
02-04-2013, 11:33 PM
This is the first time I have been on this forum in a few months, I have been busy with family health issues and work. I suggest looking at what a local dealer can offer before you buy at a box store. With a residential unit you WILL need parts. And guess what a dealer is more likely to stock parts for something that he sells then he is for a unit he does not sell. Also last year the companies got a little more competitive. I have a Hustler ZTR that has a fab deck and a Kawasaki engine in my store that is more then $200 less then the local home depot and better quality. I also have financing as well, your local dealers might be able to do better then you think.

willshome
02-05-2013, 08:39 AM
Having said that I have 5 new walk behind mowers that I paid about $600.00 total for. I bought the Husqvarana RZ 5426 on credit at Lowes because thats the only credit source I have right now. I purchased 2 new Echo SRM 225 line trimmers off of E-Bay, one for $129 and one for $159. I also bought 2 new Husqvarna 125 B leaf blowers for $79.00 each.

5 push mowers that's a lot. How many are going to be in your crew? My first year I had one push mower, trimmer & hand held blower. If something broke I ran to home depot and got a new one then fixed the other one and had a back up

If u get the optional lowes warrenty they will warrenty it for commercial use and there is no hour meter limit on all machines I bought mine in may and I did all the research on it (including warrenty specifications)
just have a backup mower because they are known for being slow (4+ weeks)

Michaelslandscape
02-06-2013, 09:00 AM
Thanks to everyone for the great advice and ideas. I went off on a tangent the other day and want to appologize for that. I know everyone on this forum is trying to help each other out. I got frustrated about my limited resources and vented a lot more than I should have.
to willshome; I am the only one right now. Ill be doing 20 to 30 a week by myself if I can keep up. I plan on hiring one helper when I get over 30 accounts. Ill need to get to 40 to 50 quickly or Ill start losing money after I hire someone. As far as the mowers I bought; 3 of them are listed on Craigslist right now. I plan to take the proceeds from those sales and buy a good walk behind comm. mower. The other 2 are Residential Toros. I hope they will hold up for a couple of seasons. The Z-Turn Husvarna I bought isnt going to be getting used as much as the walk behinds as most of the account Ive lined up so far are smaller residential properties. (Some people also dont want a riding mower on thier lawn) So I let them know Ill have to charge extra because the job will take longer. So far so good. I havent even sent out a flyer or any advertising yet and Ive got 17 accounts lined up from word of mouth.
To SelectLandscaping; You sound like a very resoursefull guy. I to am very frugile and am always looking for ways to get the most for the least amount of money. Thanks for those ideas.
To Wandfsmall: My credit took a nose dive last year when I applied for to many CC accounts. I kept getting turned down and with a score of around 740 I didnt understand what the problem was. I always pay on time and have never had a re-po, charge off or anything. I got copies of my credit reports and found that since the accounts I do have were all about maxed out and since I had been calling around trying to get credit my score dropped to about 650. So Im afraid to do anything except pay my bills right now and not apply for anything for a while.
Personally, I hate Credit Cards and the whole system. But in todays world if you dont have good credit your screwed. Even if you dont need to use your credit you need to have a good rating to be able to do anything. Everyone in business looks at you and judges you based partially on your credit worthiness.
Once again, my appologies for offending anyone with my previous thread. I was having a crap day and everywhere I turned I was running into a brick wall. Thats no excuse but its the truth
I hope everyone has a safe and profitable year this season.

SECTLANDSCAPING
02-06-2013, 10:09 AM
Micheal,

With credit cards try not to spend more then 20% of your limit. I did this for a year and my credit went from 650 to 740.

willshome
02-06-2013, 11:16 AM
When you say most lawns the zero turn will not work what do you mean like 60% or more like 95% ? Because maybe you don't need one right away, i didn't. You could save a lot of money if you wait. I don't buy any tool if it won't pay for it self in one year

P.s. Welcome back

Norcal
02-07-2013, 10:09 PM
When you say most lawns the zero turn will not work what do you mean like 60% or more like 95% ? Because maybe you don't need one right away, i didn't. You could save a lot of money if you wait. I don't buy any tool if it won't pay for it self in one year

P.s. Welcome back

if you are at a point to having to hire somone or buy even a cheep zt buy the zt it will save you time, time is more accounts more ac****s is more money. I had the same issue last summer 77 lawns and not enough time hired a green guy and my days got longer not shorter like you would think. I bought a 36" ferris evolution and cut about 4 hours off my day fired green guy. For example on friday I do 28 duplexes front and back to mow edge and blow buy myself it used to take 6 hrs with a new hire i had him mow the back lawns and i would edge the front and back and mow the front it still took 5 hrs and i was paying him 10 an hr with the ferris i can do it myself in 4 hrs and dont need the other guy so equation ferris payment $200 a month second guy 3 days a week $800 a month you tell me wich makes more money in you pocket. Buy the zt

willshome
02-08-2013, 09:00 AM
Buy the zt
He said he is starting out by him self with few customers to start.
why go equipment poor

When I started I had more time then money

Norcal
02-09-2013, 06:09 PM
He said he is starting out by him self with few customers to start.
why go equipment poor

When I started I had more time then money

good point and me too. I used more expensive walk behinds unless you are doing acers and acers I didnt get commercial equipment until I had to start wrenching on the box store pro series mower every other night so I could go to work in the morning. The only reason to get better equipment when starting out is a commercial mower will save you time I bought my first one Toro 21" for around $1100 the second was a floor model and I picked it up for around $800 put them on a credit card and payed a ton of interest for them unless you can pay cash or get a yard card or scheffield financing wait as long as you can before you have to start making the big purchase. I mean the end result is stilll the same its still is mowed and i think the cut quallity on some of the cheaper mowers is better than the commercial stuff anly difference is the commercial stuff is designed to do it everyday all day for years. Good luck bud but dont invest untill you have to