PDA

View Full Version : Aeration in the spring?

LawnBoy0311
01-29-2013, 01:45 PM
Anyone have any luck with this? I know fall is a better time, but does anyone get good business in the spring????

Grass Doctor
01-29-2013, 05:00 PM
Anyone have any luck with this? I know fall is a better time, but does anyone get good business in the spring????

30 sold in spring, and 60 on fall 2012.
5 already schedule for spring 2013 cant wait to unleash my blue beast. $$$$$$$$$$:D:D:D:D:D:D:D.

LawnBoy0311
01-29-2013, 07:16 PM
30 sold in spring, and 60 on fall 2012.
5 already schedule for spring 2013 cant wait to unleash my blue beast. $$$$$$$$$$:D:D:D:D:D:D:D.

UNLEASH THE BEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks like I'll be getting my lazy @$$ off the couch and start advertising. I was hoping the answer would be "NO, not worth it!" so I could keep my equipment locked up till fall. Oh well.

Grass Doctor
01-29-2013, 10:44 PM
there is good money to make in soil aeration gets better if sell it with compost, or seed.

LawnBoy0311
01-30-2013, 06:01 AM
I did fantastic in the fall. Me and all the other 5 million companies driving around. But I hardly ever see any do them or offer them in the spring. My rates are higher than most around here, but from the feedback I got, my quality is by far better. Last year I saw some pretty crappy jobs. I told one of my customers they should really look into getting one. I quoted my price, and she went with someone cheaper. This guy ripped her off good!! He put bad seed down, hardly good plugs...not going to get into all the details but it was bad. At first I felt bad for her....then I couldn't get payment for my cuts. I dropped her and laughed thinking now she'll have an overgrown lawn and a crappy aeration job. Eff her.

Steve
01-30-2013, 12:09 PM
30 sold in spring

Do you have any marketing suggestions to line up such jobs?

patrick6411
01-30-2013, 09:24 PM
I have thirty two scheduled already. I am selling 12 seeding jobs with them. I partnered with a company that needed help. I just bought an aerator.

http://lawn-care-service.info/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/aerator-300x225.jpg

LawnBoy0311
01-31-2013, 06:36 AM
Are all those 32 from partnering up? You guys got me motivated to start again! I can't wait to get started!

patrick6411
02-03-2013, 08:19 AM
Are all those 32 from partnering up? You guys got me motivated to start again! I can't wait to get started!

Not all. But a good part is. I don't care it is good money. This is the time of year to get motivated!!

jsslawncare
02-04-2013, 09:05 AM
Spring is as good as fall. Warm season in spring, cool season in fall.

LawnBoy0311
02-04-2013, 10:34 AM
Spring is as good as fall. Warm season in spring, cool season in fall.

Read my question again. I didn't ask which was better and I think it's quite obvious spring is warmer than fall.

zippy-phil
02-04-2013, 06:10 PM
So how much can you charge for this service? is it once a year service? is this similar to de-thatching?

LawnBoy0311
02-04-2013, 06:49 PM
So how much can you charge for this service? is it once a year service? is this similar to de-thatching?

Rates really depend on your hourly rate and the property size. For 1/3 acre I can get about $300+. Thats aerating and seeding. My prices are a bit higher than most, but they know they are getting quality work with good products. I will only use Pennington seed, and the price includes dethatching.

Theres really only a need to do it once....either spring or fall.

Dethatching is pulling up dead stems and basically clearing the surface of the soil. Aerating is putting a bunch of holes in the ground to let air, water,fertilizers to the roots and help them grow. Also grass seed can be spread into the holes to get the lawns thicker. Thats the short version of both.

smallstripeslawncare
02-20-2013, 10:50 PM
I haven't gotten into aeration yet simply because my aerator was stolen (I bought a brand new Ryan) and at the time all the rental places didn't have any because they were being rented but I had tons of calls asking if I was offering aeration. This was last fall but I did get a lot of calls last spring asking if I offer aeration for the spring and personally for fescue I think seeding in the spring isn't the BEST option and waiting until fall seems to yield better results.

fieroboi
02-21-2013, 09:54 AM
I get mix of both fall and spring. I have spent considerable time educating my clients and getting them to aerate in the fall, that tends to leave my spring open to take on one time areation clients. Doing this has allowed me to do more aeration jobs per year.

Lloyd
Blue's Yard FX
Camrose, AB

LawnBoy0311
02-21-2013, 10:40 AM
I get mix of both fall and spring. I have spent considerable time educating my clients and getting them to aerate in the fall, that tends to leave my spring open to take on one time areation clients. Doing this has allowed me to do more aeration jobs per year.

Lloyd
Blue's Yard FX
Camrose, AB

I think we're about the same. My regulars get fall aerations. I was hoping to get a bunch of spring aerations to fill up my schedule, but so far.....no go. I have a big fat zero. I have a bunch of other times lined up so if I don't get it, I'll still be filled. I'll keep pushing and see what happens! Thanks a bunch of the input!!

Grass Doctor
02-21-2013, 12:30 PM
i do spring and fall i live in the warmer area, crazy weather some of the war season grases benefits from aeration in the fall as(st.agustine, and zoicia) Bermuda grass always strives as long as water every week. i use to offer detaching ot thaching, but aeration reduce thatch and people in the south its not use too this service so i gave up on it :confused::confused:

patrick6411
02-21-2013, 09:13 PM
i do spring and fall i live in the warmer area, crazy weather some of the war season grases benefits from aeration in the fall as(st.agustine, and zoicia) Bermuda grass always strives as long as water every week. i use to offer detaching ot thaching, but aeration reduce thatch and people in the south its not use too this service so i gave up on it :confused::confused:

I am lower south then you are a little Houston. I am aerating my butt off. I will type up a good little post what I am doing to get more aeration jobs. Here in a few minutes.

Grass Doctor
02-21-2013, 11:05 PM
I am lower south then you are a little Houston. I am aerating my butt off. I will type up a good little post what I am doing to get more aeration jobs. Here in a few minutes.

im in San Antonio brother we still have 40 and 30 for lows and 80 highs i start aerating when tempetures are 60ths and 80 degrees other wise with the soil expose like that i will delay the recovery process of the grass im just finishing preemerget process with my clients and start mowing here and there i did not mow a single lawn in winter(wait we are still in winter :eek::eek::eek::eek: and today we had 79 dregress crazy only in TX i just spray in winter months, pure spraying for me bro with my winterize program which is micro nutrients and selective herbicide for winter weeds. lucky you i can wait to start aerating its one of my favorites in what we do.

u most be in south south TX

patrick6411
02-22-2013, 08:27 AM
im in San Antonio brother we still have 40 and 30 for lows and 80 highs i start aerating when tempetures are 60ths and 80 degrees other wise with the soil expose like that i will delay the recovery process of the grass im just finishing preemerget process with my clients and start mowing here and there i did not mow a single lawn in winter(wait we are still in winter :eek::eek::eek::eek: and today we had 79 dregress crazy only in TX i just spray in winter months, pure spraying for me bro with my winterize program which is micro nutrients and selective herbicide for winter weeds. lucky you i can wait to start aerating its one of my favorites in what we do.

u most be in south south TX

I am on the Gulf so temps are always 5-10 degrees hotter here then further in land. temps are crazy!! I am going crazy one day it is 80 the next 70. This morning when I woke up it was 66. Yesterday it was 58. so it is staying at the right temp here. My daughter is in San Antonio on one of the air force bases. She says its colder there then here!! LOL I know its crazy you guys are only like 2.5 hours northwest of us. Only in Texas will temps so close be different so close. I am hoping we don't have another drought this year.

LawnBoy0311
02-22-2013, 10:12 AM
How bad was the drought? It never affected us up here. I heard a few horror stories...

patrick6411
02-22-2013, 03:04 PM
How bad was the drought? It never affected us up here. I heard a few horror stories...

Really lucky it didnít affect you! I figured it did.
Everything died. I mean everything. My own lawn dried up. My well went dry and I had to drill a new one even deeper. It got pretty bad considering we are used to it raining a lot here. The ponds and rivers dried up. Houston was talking about how low the reservoirs were. In fact they were pretty much totally dried up was solid dirt. You could walk across them, in the past it was like 6 foot deep at its deepest point. There is now water back in them from the rains. Not much fish left in it. Sheldon reservoir has water back in it and that is a favorite fishing hole.
Over all it was not that bad. There were a lot of forest fires around like going toward Huntsville.