PDA

View Full Version : Price starting at... (advertisement)

Billy Goat
01-28-2013, 10:47 AM
Everyone has a different take on advertising prices in some form or another on websites, flyers, door hangers, etc. After reading replies from other posts, most members of this forum, suggest not listing prices because there are too many factors involved. This post is geared more towards advertising at starting price. Most of the websites that I visited that do advertise a starting price, averages around $25. I look forward to your comments on this post.

Steve
01-28-2013, 01:40 PM
Ideally you don't want the price to be the selling point. When it is, you minimize your potential to profit. Instead you want to focus and sell quality.

Early on, newer lawn care businesses feel they need to sell on price, but I think that is why so many fail in their first year. They work all year long and then look in the bank to see there is no money left.

LawnBoy0311
01-28-2013, 05:00 PM
I think it may be on how you word it. On a few of my posts on sites like craigslist, I'll say something like "Townhouses starting from $20". This way they get a general idea. If I were to show up at a townhouse and they ask for a quote, I quote $25, and they ask why the difference...I can explain to them the proper reasoning. This would be a case if most townhouses or single family homes are the same.

For my area it works great. It sets the "hook" for them to call me, and in most cases, my "starting from" price is exactly as advertised. It also lets them know if my service is affordable and they know my quoted price will be in that general area.

But like I said...this only works IF most houses are the same size. If you live in an area that has a mix of 1/4 acre, 1 acre, 3 acre and townhouses, this won't work. There is no happy medium price between those, and theres too many factors when quoting a larger lot.

stevef1201
01-28-2013, 06:20 PM
I don't advertise price anywhere. I also so not give prices over the phone, I tell people that I have to look at the property. Today I went on an estimate, that I price around 70 per cut, After looking at the property, decided that there is no trimming, no edging and only 1-2 minutes of blowing, the price would be about 60 per month.

I explained my process to the home owner, and why I would not give him a rate over the phone-the above price differences.

He said that my estimates was what he was thinking but he had other people coming over to give estimates.

I reminded him that cheaper might not be the product he deserves.