PDA

View Full Version : New here

RoughCut
01-25-2013, 12:52 PM
My name is Lowell, I have owned my own construction company for 35 years. Started brush hogging and lot maintenance about 10 years ago. Have ownly done wide area mowing and clearing. Smallest job 12 acres. Business has slowed because of the drought (midwest) so am looking to do smaller jobs. Any advice would be helpful.Willing to help anyone about wide area mowing. Thanks

SECTLANDSCAPING
01-25-2013, 01:11 PM
Do you already have finish cut mowers? Or do you plan on using the bush hog?

RoughCut
01-25-2013, 01:49 PM
I own 2 zero turn mowers a 50" and 60" I also have a 84" for my tractor. I already own all the equipment. May need to get a 36" walk behind yet? I own and mow 6 acres of wooded land. Also have A JD 316 that I have a mounted sprayer on and also a Trac Vac leaf vac on.

SECTLANDSCAPING
01-25-2013, 02:51 PM
it sounds like your off to a good start then. Youll be fine without the walkbehind.

Not much money in mowing small yards. I would focus on multi acres and businesses. You got the equipment for it no need to think small.

Steve
01-28-2013, 11:17 AM
Welcome to our forum! Have you gotten some business cards made up yet? Also have you started to tell everyone you know that you are expanding into residential lawn care (if that is what you mean by smaller jobs)?

Also, have you put together a website? There are free lawn care website templates (http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=7218) available for download on this site.

Have you done a walk through your neighborhood and either stuck a business card in your neighbor's door or maybe even used a flyer?

What about posting on craigslist?

RoughCut
01-28-2013, 12:12 PM
I have added this as a divison to my construction company. Still using same business cards. Here's why: I do alot of building maintenance was thinking lawn care would add another service for my customers. Have all equipment already for my own use. Do alot of rough mowing for banks, and goverment owned properties on a large scale, thought maybe could get some of their work also. Simple thought is: 1call does it all.
Good or bad? Let me know

LawnBoy0311
01-28-2013, 03:42 PM
I think its a good idea! It's 1 more service you can add to get your name out there. The revenue would be constant, which is a bonus.

Who knows what the future holds, but if both seem to take off and do very well, theres always the option to have someone run the residential side of things.

Since you already have the equipment for it, theres no additional costs.

Steve
01-29-2013, 12:25 PM
It's great you are experimenting with all of this. Keep us posted on what you find and how you like it.