PDA

View Full Version : Starting my new lawn care buisness this spring

Michaelslandscape
01-24-2013, 08:29 AM
Hi, my name is Michael. I am a fifty something guy who has worked at the same job for 28 years. I have decided to do something that I enjoy. Yes... cutting grass, designing landscapes and installing them is my dream job. I dont know how Im going to make up my salary from my job yet but Im spending everything I have on some new (residential grade lawn equipment) which is all I can afford right now. I will be doing all of the work myself to start with and will be happy to hear from anyone with some words of encouragement that my dream wont be a nightmare.

wat5150
01-24-2013, 08:36 AM
Get your name out there. Its a tough industry with a lot of competition (at least in my area). Good luck. Buy a commercial mower if you can afford it. It will stand up better (with the constant use) than a residential one.

willshome
01-24-2013, 09:05 AM
what tools are you buying?
Look into renting tools as needed, if its cheaper to rent each year then buy I rent. Book as many jobs the same day as you can. if you rent friday afternoon many will let you keep it Monday morning
just call around for pricing. stump grinder around here $190 a day, $180 a day, or $97 a day.

patrick6411
01-24-2013, 06:16 PM
Great! You will make it. Let your work speak for itself. Ask everybody if they need your services. Then ask for referrals. Donít be shy.

The biggest secrete that I can share with you, is to smile be nice, be happy, you customers will love you for it. :cool:

Steve
01-24-2013, 08:08 PM
Hi Michael,

You can make this happen. The key is to give yourself as long of a time as possible to gain traction in the business and gain customers. So remember it will take time to grow it, so don't get frustrated if it all doesn't happen immediately. It will happen though. Utilize each day you have to do something to better your business. Promote yourself. Educate yourself. Improve on the service you provide. With that you will grow.

Michaelslandscape
01-25-2013, 10:40 AM
Thank You to everyone for the encouragment. I have more enthusiasium and drive about making this buisness work than I have had in the past 20 years. I already have a reputation amonst freinds, family, and neighboors as being very good at landscaping and keeping the best yard in the neigboorhood. I am trying to use that reputation as a springboard to get referals. After all nothing speaks higher of the quality of your work than the way you keep your own property.
Question: My goal is to have 40 clients by the 1st of April. I am offering a basic services "mow and go" type service along with a full services 1 year contract that includes mowing, edging, shrub trimming, shrub bed mulching, fert. and pre-emergent, irrigation system inspection and adjustment, fall clean up, and low voltage landscape lighting maintenace for those who have lighting.
My contract also has a 10% discount for the basic services (mowing, edging, etc.) with a one year full service contract. I also am giving a 5% discount for each referal who signs on for a 1 year full service contract up to 3 referals. So that would be a 25% discount for basic services for a customer who signs on and gets me 3 referals. The discount is only good for the contract year.
Does this sound like a good marketing plan or does anyone think that 25% off of basic services is cutting my price too much.
Thanks again

Steve
01-25-2013, 12:30 PM
Keeping things simple tends to work much better. You don't have to give a discount to get referrals. All you have to do is perform good work and possibly ask for them from time to time.

But if you want to give a discount or something, how about a free mowing near the end of the season per new annual contract signed up with you via a referral?

Michaelslandscape
01-25-2013, 11:25 PM
Thanks Steve
I wii keep that in mind. I tend to overthink things sometimes. Ive got enough work to do without having to keep up with discounts and referal price breaks.
I appreciate the feed back

wat5150
01-26-2013, 07:04 AM
First off you need the clients. Focus on getting your name out there. Its the only way people are going to know about you. Also I would stay away from offering pre emergents and such. Laws in each state differ but you probably need to be licensed to advertise that type of stuff.