PDA

View Full Version : What truck and trailer to buy

Greg'slawnandlandscape
01-18-2013, 12:38 AM
Currently I am using a 2008 Chevy suburban but I would like to get something bigger when it comes to towing capacity. Here's the trucks in mind silverado 3500 or a suburban 2500. I like the suburban because it lookalike a luxury vehicle but tows like a beast. I like the silverado 3500 because of the towing capacity(almost 24000 pounds) and payload ( a little over 7000 pounds) and it will give my business a lot of room to grow. My main thing is if I go with the silverado would it be best and wait for the 2014 to come out or just by one now. My only problem with another suburban is the 2500 will only give me less than 2000 pounds extra to tow and my business will easily out grow that. And what trailer would you buy to go with the truck

Cashin H&P
01-18-2013, 06:40 AM
Currently I am using a 2008 Chevy suburban but I would like to get something bigger when it comes to towing capacity. Here's the trucks in mind silverado 3500 or a suburban 2500. I like the suburban because it lookalike a luxury vehicle but tows like a beast. I like the silverado 3500 because of the towing capacity(almost 24000 pounds) and payload ( a little over 7000 pounds) and it will give my business a lot of room to grow. My main thing is if I go with the silverado would it be best and wait for the 2014 to come out or just by one now. My only problem with another suburban is the 2500 will only give me less than 2000 pounds extra to tow and my business will easily out grow that. And what trailer would you buy to go with the truck

Dont get the suburban, landscaping out of an suv must be a pain in the ***. I through all sorts of stuff in the bed of mu truck. If I were you I would go with the silverado 2500hd, if your getting a pick up, if your going with a dump truck then go with the 3500. You didnt tell us what you do (ie. mowing, hardscapes. etc.) so i cant give you a trailer recomendation.

willshome
01-18-2013, 08:19 AM
I like the suburban because it look like a luxury vehicle but tows like a beast.
Are you full time or just a few lawns a week
are you going to do mulch? Cleaning out of the back seat will be fun
are you doing fall cleanups?
what are you planing on pulling? if it is 24k you will need a CDL
I had a bronco now a little dump truck and will never go back.
if you are full time, so should be your truck

SECTLANDSCAPING
01-18-2013, 09:05 AM
yeah get a truck a 3/4 or 1 ton. It wont matter much. I dont see why you would need to tow 24K.

You need the bed though and you already have a suburban and are limited by it.

For a trailer I wouldnt get anything smaller then a 6x12. Always buy one size bigger then you need.

CHEESE2009
01-18-2013, 09:53 AM
Fords are a ton of fun, with great control and visibility.

I'd recommend getting a reverse cam installed too, helps you hook your trailer up faster, especially if it's already loaded up and you can't wiggle it on the hitch.

Also, on Fords they have some pretty flimsy back hatches, always open/close them slowly or they'll fall off lol.

Go FORD!!!

Greg'slawnandlandscape
01-18-2013, 10:59 AM

I'd recommend getting a reverse cam installed too, helps you hook your trailer up faster, especially if it's already loaded up and you can't wiggle it on the hitch.

Also, on Fords they have some pretty flimsy back hatches, always open/close them slowly or they'll fall off lol.

Go FORD!!!

That's part of the reason I like the suburban for the back up camera and built in gps even though I can get it on the silverado.

To answer other questions:
My services are lawn mowing to light landscapeing. I do mulch about once a year and put it on the trailer but I would like a big payload for when I do landscapeing jobs that require a lot of bricks the last pallet I got had to be delivered because they weighed 4000 pounds much more than my trailer is built for I think it looks more professional to be able to deliver the product. I am 16 so getting a cdl won't be for a while but until then i don't need 24000 pounds of towing capacity maybe ten thousand. My thing is both the suburban and silverado cost about the same so why not just make the towing upgrade now instead of later. I do mowing 4 days out of my week so I would say about full time. I want my tow vehicle to scream professional if you have any other trucks or brands in mind please tell me

willshome
01-18-2013, 12:12 PM
That's part of the reason I like the suburban for the back up camera and built in gps even though I can get it on the silverado.
I want my tow vehicle to scream professional if you have any other trucks

My truck has a backup camera $50 30 mins. install (it turns on with the truck not just backing up)

and gps is like $150 for a good one

do you think a suv "scream professional"?

Cashin H&P
01-18-2013, 12:34 PM

To answer other questions:
My services are lawn mowing to light landscapeing. I do mulch about once a year and put it on the trailer but I would like a big payload for when I do landscapeing jobs that require a lot of bricks the last pallet I got had to be delivered because they weighed 4000 pounds much more than my trailer is built for I think it looks more professional to be able to deliver the product. I am 16 so getting a cdl won't be for a while but until then i don't need 24000 pounds of towing capacity maybe ten thousand. My thing is both the suburban and silverado cost about the same so why not just make the towing upgrade now instead of later. I do mowing 4 days out of my week so I would say about full time. I want my tow vehicle to scream professional if you have any other trucks or brands in mind please tell me

So at 16 your going to buy a brandspanking new 40,000 truck? And a pallet of bricks weighed 4,000 pounds more then your trailer could hold? Some things not adding up here.

You do know that there is little to no chance that you will be able to buy a brand new truck. I doubt you have 40k sitting around and I doubt you have any sort of credit and being 16 there is no way any one will finance this truck for you.

Matther777
01-18-2013, 01:51 PM
I am lucky and will be borrowing my dads truck until I can afford a new truck. In the meantime I know Ford has a pretty decent reputation for quality used trucks. These are my opinions on if you are getting a new truck. So other people don't hate me. Don't get a Ram. I would highly recommend a Toyota but heh you know they don't come cheap. Are you planning on getting a diesel truck or gas?

CHEESE2009
01-18-2013, 01:59 PM
For a trailer, I'd recommend a double axle, it just makes life easier. My favorite: if I get one flat, I can still drag myself home and worry about my life problems after a few many beers.

It's nice to have a longer ramp too, rather than a shorter ramp. You don't want your mowers arse clipping every time you go up/down the ramp.. flipping isn't fun either.

A wooden floor is better, just make sure to treat it right away so it doesn't rot, alternatively, mesh once warped can be a pain to mess around with.

Again with wood, it's easy to drill in a 2x4 to stop your mowers from moving.

It's also good to have high sides, maybe to attach a few racks, and to avoid gas cans and smaller tools flying out of the trailer.

-

As for how you place equipment in the trailer, you're screwed no matter what... You might have to alternate a lot... For example, I had to change the front left tire 1000 times last year (mostly nails) but lots of wear with the crappy weight distribution.

CHEESE2009
01-18-2013, 02:10 PM
I am lucky and will be borrowing my dads truck until I can afford a new truck. In the meantime I know Ford has a pretty decent reputation for quality used trucks. These are my opinions on if you are getting a new truck. So other people don't hate me. Don't get a Ram. I would highly recommend a Toyota but heh you know they don't come cheap. Are you planning on getting a diesel truck or gas?

I've only owned 3 vehicles in my life so far...

- Used Eagle Vision, it was a junker.
- Used Dodge Ram, the back end was huge so I could never find parking, the rust then became unbearable.
- Now my new Ford from 08'.

HOWEVER, i've driven other vehicles and my favorite to drive in order:

http://www.motorstown.com/images/chevrolet-astro-van-04.jpg
1. Astro van (lol, you guys gotta try it... I want a fleet of them hahaha!)
2. Buick (gears were on the steering wheel, like a truck, so cool)
3. Ford Ranger (i was going to buy this instead of the truck i have)
4. everything else sucked...

Cashin H&P
01-18-2013, 02:51 PM
Cheese Iv owned 3 trucks in my life too.

1 1990 dodge ramcharger (ford bronco kinda thing) ( Ibaught at 16 years old)
2 1994 ford f150 (5.0 v8 )( I baught at17 years old)
3 2004 CHEVY 1500 (5.3) (I baught at 18)

My favorit was my f150, that truck was a work horse and I regret selling it every day. The only reason I got rid of it was because I needed something nicer looking for the company. In hind sight I should have kept it as a back up. My chevy is grat but it is a little too fancy to work out of haha

LawnBoy0311
01-18-2013, 03:14 PM
So at 16 your going to buy a brandspanking new 40,000 truck? And a pallet of bricks weighed 4,000 pounds more then your trailer could hold? Some things not adding up here.

You do know that there is little to no chance that you will be able to buy a brand new truck. I doubt you have 40k sitting around and I doubt you have any sort of credit and being 16 there is no way any one will finance this truck for you.

Agreed. Save your pennies and use what you have for now.

bruces
01-18-2013, 11:16 PM

Go FORD!!!

Thats the funniest post I have read in a long time .
Buy a ford,but dont close the doors quickly or they fall off .Also the ford has great visibilty,but get a reverse cam because when hooking up your trailer you will need it .
Thanks to Cheese ,I wouldnt want a piece of crap like that .

Greg'slawnandlandscape
01-19-2013, 01:09 AM

The pallet of brick whieghed 4000 pounds it was 2000 over i meant 4000 was to much and as for money goes My dad has been a huge supporter of my business and has helped me get loans for my new mower which I paid off this summer(the old one caught fire and I didn't have enough money ) I have talked to him about helping me get a new truck for the business he made the deal if I get straight A's twice he will consign for the loan.the second part of this deal is I must have one years payments saved up plus the down payment so if the business ends up in the hole I have six months to try to start back up or get a job and six months to sell the truck (about 8 grand I'm only three away from that goal)

Greg'slawnandlandscape
01-19-2013, 01:41 AM
Also I forgot to mention I would like a desiel dually if I get a srw then I would go with the 2500. But I'm done with gas

CHEESE2009
01-19-2013, 07:07 AM
Fords definitely come with problems like all vehicles, but they are relatively (dare I say) inexpensive.

It's a good toy, it feels like a toy, and it gets the job done.

When it got it's first dent, I wasn't even bothered by it. Okay, maybe a little bothered considering it's expensive with all the crap I got on it... I should have stuck with a F150 with less add-ons, so I treat it as that and try not to worry so much.

Example;

My truck: silly... very silly.
Truck below: wise...

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m25/mad_insane/sadness.jpg

Cashin H&P
01-19-2013, 07:18 AM
Also I forgot to mention I would like a desiel dually if I get a srw then I would go with the 2500. But I'm done with gas

You really dont need a 3500 drw to cut lawns and do mulch. I have a 1500 with the 5.3 and healper springs and it has done everything I could need it to do.

I have towed:
a 4 horse slant load trailer (w/4 horses)
a 30 foot camper from New York back to Nh (6 hours)
a s185
a Kubota L tractor
a loaded dump trailer (8 yards of mulch)

these are just a few of the heaviest things I have towed, I know there are more but the point I am trying to make is you dont need a one ton to do what you do. Im 20 and I started with a 94 f150. Yes I could have got a loan for a brand new truck but I decided to buy the one I have now (i baught it out right) Save your money and just buy a used pick up and when you need to get a shop/house/NEW truck that money will be there.

You are 16, im sure you think you ned the biggest and baddest truck on the market, I know I thought I needed that too at your age but in reality you dont.

CHEESE2009
01-19-2013, 08:10 AM
I agree.

A lot of people underestimate the power of the less expensive trucks.

I'd focus more on getting a cheaper F150 and a double axle trailer if you're concerned with outrageously heavy loads.

Also, if the load is that heavy, you can get a breaking system that attaches to your trailer/truck, so theirs less of a chance of your trailer pushing you when you decide to stop.

The only reason I'd recommend a Ford Super Duty, is if you want to show off and look down at the people serving you at the drive-thru.

SECTLANDSCAPING
01-19-2013, 09:15 AM
I would stay away from a half ton unless you only cut grass. A helper spring will only stop your truck from sagging. Youll still wear out your axles. This is whats going on with my 1/2 ton right now. Starting to get noises out of both axles. A few to many trips with a ton in it. They cost over 2k a piece.

The 3/4 tons have heavier axles, transmission, bigger brakes, and more cooling. With a bigger truck youll have a longer lifespan on parts.

With towing you can get away with 10k in almost any truck. Its not a great idea but its doable. The bigger problem is actual payload. Your limited to less then a ton.

I wouldnt buy a new truck either. I been in the business for 4 years and I have yet to buy a new mower, truck or trailer. Thats why I have 3 or 4 of each.

willshome
01-19-2013, 10:31 AM
I love diesel trucks better mpg & more POWER
I would look at a CLEAN one ton 1997 to 2003 are the best years. The big 3 went to war trying to be # one and the E.P.A didn't yet kill them with regs
the Ford 7.3L is great (check the oil pan for leaks)
the Ram 5.9L is great and cheap to work on but the rest of the truck is a ram
the Chevy Duramax 2001+ is great but costs to fix

If you are using it as a work truck it will not look new long

Greg'slawnandlandscape
01-23-2013, 12:14 PM
Fords definitely come with problems like all vehicles, but they are relatively (dare I say) inexpensive.

It's a good toy, it feels like a toy, and it gets the job done.

When it got it's first dent, I wasn't even bothered by it. Okay, maybe a little bothered considering it's expensive with all the crap I got on it... I should have stuck with a F150 with less add-ons, so I treat it as that and try not to worry so much.

Example;

My truck: silly... very silly.
Truck below: wise...

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m25/mad_insane/sadness.jpg

I know how you feel my first dent an idiot pulled out of the parking spot and hit me he told the cop it wasn't his fault because I wasn't there when he got in the truck (sad part is I seen his truck get closer to mine when he was three feet away so I hit the brakes I was stopped when he hit me)

To all others here's what I came up with when I built the trucks on thier site

Silverado 3500 53,000

Silverado 2500 56,000

Greg'slawnandlandscape
01-23-2013, 12:58 PM
Heres the video i didnt feel like typing it all http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_Jsrsgfb4U

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/f_Jsrsgfb4U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SECTLANDSCAPING
01-23-2013, 01:03 PM
all I seen was a super fro. All I could think of was scissors or clippers, nah I got it hedge clippers.

Greg'slawnandlandscape
01-23-2013, 01:50 PM
all I seen was a super fro. All I could think of was scissors or clippers, nah I got it hedge clippers.

It gets hot in the summer like that so I get it cut you would not believe how much cooler it feels

Steve
01-24-2013, 07:03 PM
Hey Greg,

Great video. Please consider checking out these lawn care business documentary (http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=17213) questions and making another video with you answering them.

TLC131
02-16-2013, 12:19 AM
Hey man, I'm 21 and got an 03 chevy 2500 when I was 17. My dad cosigned on it. I understand you are concerned/interested in maximum towing capacity but the way I see it is at this point all that is needed is a 3/4 ton truck. My opinion is to get a 2500 truck first and if you plan on growing (which I think you do) then buy a 3500/4500 dump truck when necessary. Plus if you plan on doing snow plowing the extra truck means 2X the $$. I bought my 2500 for $13500 with 44,000 miles, and just bought my F450 for $13500 with 75,00 miles. You will get scratches if you are working hard. That's just my opinion and it's worked out for me. I would not buy a brand new truck, and a newer used truck will look just as professional.

racerdude711
02-16-2013, 03:05 AM
I agree with TLC131. I'm 19, almost, 20 years old now. I started out with a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500. Truck was nice, loved the way it looked. When I was 16, it worked out fine for me. I pulled an 8x10 trailer with 2 mowers on it. No problems. When I turned 18, business picked up a lot, I now had a 16ft tandem trailer, with 4 heavy mowers on it. Got about 11 mpg on a good day with the HEMI that was in the 1500.

Decided to look for a diesel. Ended up buying a very clean 1997 Ram 2500 with a 12v Cummins. It was older than my last truck, but I bought it from an old guy that babied it. Truck is perfect for me. Pulls anything, can throw a decent amount of weight in the bed if the trailer is full. Great mpg. Extremely reliable.

Needless to say, the truck does not look like what it did when I bought it. First off, you get in ur truck after mowing, covered in grass, dirt on ur shoes, sweat rolling off you. So that's what you can expect in the summer. Then winter rolls around, you buy the big bad *** BOSS V plow. Say hello to all the front end parts you will now be needing in the spring time. Track bar, ball joints, tie rods, ect. Then you have to remember that big *** dent you now have that you got while plowing snow.

So just a little FYI. Don't buy a brand new truck for a WORK TRUCK. Secondly, if you have something that will work for you right now, that's paid for...USE IT! Do you wanna be in business just to pay for a truck? If your trying to grow your business, make money, be successful, then do what makes sense. Buying a 50k dollar work truck DOES NOT MAKES SENSE. As far as business goes, you would be taking a step in the wrong direction my friend. That's just my 0.02.

Greg'slawnandlandscape
02-22-2013, 08:10 PM
i found a great deal on a 08 f450 it is deisel 4x4 but is is a single cab its 9 grand i dont want to go used but how cuold i pass this up any thoughts

Cashin H&P
02-22-2013, 09:15 PM
i found a great deal on a 08 f450 it is deisel 4x4 but is is a single cab its 9 grand i dont want to go used but how cuold i pass this up any thoughts

KBB on a truck like that sbould be 28k, sounds like a scam or a down righ P.O.S

Greg'slawnandlandscape
02-23-2013, 05:35 AM
KBB on a truck like that sbould be 28k, sounds like a scam or a down righ P.O.S

well its not a scam i seen it at the used car dealer but i was thinking it mabye pos. if i decide tof get it a mechanic will check it and he will have to let me drive it for atleast a day to let any problems show up. i know it is an xl single cab without a bed. what i dont like is that it is a single cab and that it has almost no options on it

SECTLANDSCAPING
02-23-2013, 04:24 PM
seems like a good deal to me. I would prefer it to be a chassis and thats part of the reason its so cheap.

I just have no idea what you plan on doing with a 450. If you were pulling backhoes, loaders it would make sense but its to much truck for mowing.

Greg'slawnandlandscape
02-23-2013, 06:18 PM
right now it is to much truckbut it gives room to grow i have learned that every time i give my self room to grow i fill it pretty quickly. also it is about the same price of the much older half tons. im on the edge of being on the edge if that makes sense

Greg'slawnandlandscape
03-02-2013, 01:41 AM
I test drove the truck today (it's a f350 with 450 badges) it is 2 wheel drive dually the tires will pass inspection but not much more it has some dings and dangs and a 6.7 power stroke. I have a few questions the truck had a dump bed and the person to own it before had torched it off at the end of the frame the frame length from back of the cab to the end is 11 ft is this as long as it should be.

My next question how often do you guys use 4x4 i have used it a few times but not often note: I don't plow snow I live in nc

What would you pay for it it has 119k on it it appears to drive and shift well it's options are power windows and locks power and heated mirrors with turn signal tow hooks radio with ford sinc remember it has no bed or hitch so I will have to put in some extra work before I can really use it.

Hopefully by Thursday it will be mine

SECTLANDSCAPING
03-02-2013, 10:53 AM
I test drove the truck today (it's a f350 with 450 badges) it is 2 wheel drive dually the tires will pass inspection but not much more it has some dings and dangs and a 6.7 power stroke. I have a few questions the truck had a dump bed and the person to own it before had torched it off at the end of the frame the frame length from back of the cab to the end is 11 ft is this as long as it should be.

My next question how often do you guys use 4x4 i have used it a few times but not often note: I don't plow snow I live in nc

What would you pay for it it has 119k on it it appears to drive and shift well it's options are power windows and locks power and heated mirrors with turn signal tow hooks radio with ford sinc remember it has no bed or hitch so I will have to put in some extra work before I can really use it.

Hopefully by Thursday it will be mine
if you dont do snow the only purpose of 4x4 would be getting stuck in mud/dirt. If you get a dumpbody put on it and some weight in the back, you should be good. I plowed with a f350 mason dump and never used 4x4. The trucks are so heavy that its not needed.

Who cares about the options. Whats the axles look like? Trans shift? Frame rot? You have to think expensive repairs.

Greg'slawnandlandscape
03-02-2013, 11:55 AM
The truck runs and shifts smoothly no rust my only concern is it had a dump bed on it but the original owner torched it off so there may be a little frame missing

jasonw
03-06-2013, 09:33 PM
I am sorry, I did not read all the replies but do we ever really have to tow 24,000LBS for lawn care? Personally I drive a 2012 Frontier club cab, the club cab only has a 5' bed but I rarely if ever use it. Mostly my 5 X * trailer hauls everything. It's capacity is only about 3K but my trucks is almost 8K so when my trailer ever becomes worthless I can tow a lot more new trailer with the same truck. Is a Suburbans capacity really under 2,000LBS? That is hard to beleave it being so low but I don't know much about them.

Cashin H&P
03-06-2013, 09:40 PM
this kid just doesnt know what the hell he is talking about or doing for that matter.

ratchetmaster2
03-07-2013, 12:42 AM
this kid just doesnt know what the hell he is talking about or doing for that matter.

I agree. This is getting ridiculous fast.

When I was 16 years old (in 2011), I bought a 1994 Nissan Hardbody (also called D21 or pickup). 3.0L V6 with a whopping 153hp. Of course, I got 4x4, because awesomeness.

I've had this truck for 2 years, and I've come to love it. I can load it up with 30 bags of mulch from Home Depot. I can tow a decent trailer. I can put lumber in it...haul dirt, sand, gravel. It cost $2600 with 124k miles on it.

I'm trying to sell it now, because it's starting to show its age and mileage, but every time I show it, I can't help but think if how perfect it is. The truck gets 20mpg. It's perfect for the city and all these suburban houses. I can park it anywhere. And, of course, Japanese reliability.

Even if I had the money, the thought of buying a brand new 2014 Chevy 3500 would be the farthest thought in my mind. I would just get a 2000s something F250 with the diesel and a 6 speed.

This is pretty much my exact truck and I couldn't be happier with it for being 16, 17, and 18 years old hauling around mowers and mulch while trying to pass high school and have a girlfriend and a social life.
http://static.cargurus.com/images/site/2009/04/22/11/05/1994-nissan-king-cab-2-dr-xe-4wd-extended-cab-sb-pic-17758.jpeg

If you're as big as you say you are, and expanding even half as rapidly as you claim, I would suggest maybe you slow down a bit. Life isn't all about money money money and the biggest truck. Maybe you should take a minute to enjoy where you are now instead of begging your sign to risk your entire familys' lives on you getting a shiny new truck

Greg'slawnandlandscape
03-07-2013, 07:54 AM
Well no more f350 did a vehicle report because the frame was cut it had been in an accident after the dealer swore up and down that it was not. And the suburban can tow 8100 pounds but the trailer is maxed out at 2000 to clear up confusion I think I'm going to upgrade the trailer to a bigger flat bed and if this work keeps up then a bigger truck

Quit insisting on getting a smaller truck (less than a 1500) If I say the suburban is to small for the job what makes me think a mini truck will do better

LawnBoy0311
03-07-2013, 08:26 AM
Well no more f350 did a vehicle report because the frame was cut it had been in an accident after the dealer swore up and down that it was not. And the suburban can tow 8100 pounds but the trailer is maxed out at 2000 to clear up confusion I think I'm going to upgrade the trailer to a bigger flat bed and if this work keeps up then a bigger truck

Quit insisting on getting a smaller truck (less than a 1500) If I say the suburban is to small for the job what makes me think a mini truck will do better

You ask for help, but don't want to listen?? Come on young man, WAKE UP!

Now that the above paragraph got your attention, listen to these guys. Many on here have made it a career. A lot of guys here are around your age and seem to be doing well....listen to them! They know what works...especially for an age comparison!

While we can all agree a suburban isn't too practical, neither is a big *** truck. Grow in equipment as your business grows! Start small and work your way up. Whats the need to buy a big truck when your towing a 5xwhatever trailer and a few mowers? Is 4x4 something you must have ir can you live without it? While buying a big truck is always fun, it's not smart. A used big truck with high mileage could be a disaster. Imagine if you did buy that truck...and midway into your season it broke down. Now you need the money to fix it, and still make payments, but aren't making any money because the one thing you need the most is broken! Start with a smaller practical truck with lower miles and less gas/expenses. There is a big difference between NEED and WANT. Do you NEED that truck right now, or do you WANT that truck right now? If you need a big truck right now, write down on a piece of paper the reasons why and ask yourself "Was there a lot of jobs I had to turn down because my truck was too small?"

STEVE: Can you close this thread?

willshome
03-07-2013, 09:04 AM

How much mulch can you put in a suburban? What are you putting in the trailer that needs more than 2K?
You ask for help, but don't want to listen?? Come on young man, WAKE UP!
NO NO NO It's just funny that a suburban is the upgrade not the I have it and it will do for now till I can get a truck.

Cashin H&P
03-07-2013, 12:02 PM

Listen up, you come on here acting like a big shot, ask for advice, we give it to you and now your disrespecting us? Yeah, ok that makes sense.

I believe I said the f350 would be a peace of shi* didnt I?

Steve please close this thread.

rockymtnnut
03-07-2013, 12:12 PM
Look around how many serious companies work out of a suburban?? 2500 series or a dump nothing less. you will find a dualie pick up truck to be a liability with the wide rear. 2500 0r a 3500 is the minimum requirement for a bob cat rental. Show up with a 1500 and they will send you away. You will never regret getting a 2500 but a 1500 will be money not spent wisely.

rockymtnnut
03-07-2013, 12:32 PM
I use 4x4 on about every landscaping job i do. I understand its new to you. i was there myself once. Diesel is a great choice they last a long time but a 2 wd pick up is not good for landscaping. You will live in the dirt and mud, if you want to make a living at this get the right equipment. I started back in 97 with a 150 4x4 at 98000 it was shot and so was i. I whent to a 2500 4x4 diesel and never looked back.

Steve
03-07-2013, 12:37 PM
The thing is, when you are younger and just getting into this business or any business, you have a lot to learn. I think this thread is a great example of going through those growing pains.

Sure you might look for advice on some things, but at times you have an idea in your head for whatever reason, that you are going to go some other route.

Do you think this is the case and this is a growing process full of all the kicking and screaming that goes along with growth or not?

Caskey Lawns & Landscapes
03-07-2013, 12:38 PM
:):):) I needed something to laugh at today, Thanks guys.... :):):)

I think he's a dreamer....:cool:

Greg'slawnandlandscape
03-07-2013, 07:23 PM
The thing is, when you are younger and just getting into this business or any business, you have a lot to learn. I think this thread is a great example of going through those growing pains.

Sure you might look for advice on some things, but at times you have an idea in your head for whatever reason, that you are going to go some other route.

Do you think this is the case and this is a growing process full of all the kicking and screaming that goes along with growth or not?

It is part of the growing process.i have jobs to big for the suburban but not enough of them yet for a big truck

To anyone else I don't mean any disrespect and i value your opinion which is why I started looking at used and looking for a flat bed trailer but all of you seem so negative and bring age into it as for this thread I am done with it so Steve delete it if you wish

SECTLANDSCAPING
03-07-2013, 10:56 PM
just get yourself a 10k open trailer. It ups your hauling, can use as a bed, will haul the equipment you need, and chances are the suburban could pull it loaded. If you really want to invest in something get the dump trailer instead.

Steve
03-08-2013, 04:29 PM
Greg, there is a lot of kicking and screaming that goes along with growth. I bet there are members right now that are your age and in your same position really appreciating that everyone added their insights to this thread so they could get a great answer to their problem.

You all are doing a good job. Keep going and growing.