PDA

View Full Version : Highway Speeds

CHEESE2009
01-17-2013, 06:46 AM
I've been getting a slight bit of back end swing lately when going fast.
I never had to put weight in the back, but I might consider it until I figure out what's going on.

ANYWAY,

I would like to know how fast YOU guys drive on the highway during icy or snowy conditions, in your trucks.

In the suburbs I can put cars to shame, but now... :( ... now these cars outperform me on the highway and I'm a little disturbed.

http://1000awesomethings.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/man-crying.jpg

Drives: F150, Lariat.

willshome
01-17-2013, 07:34 AM
sway bar links (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sway_bar)

yourscape
01-17-2013, 07:48 AM
This is a perfect reason to convince the wife to get a new truck!!!!

It is a safety concern Dear:D

thom
01-17-2013, 09:27 AM
I've been getting a slight bit of back end swing lately when going fast.
I never had to put weight in the back, but I might consider it until I figure out what's going on.

ANYWAY,

I would like to know how fast YOU guys drive on the highway during icy or snowy conditions, in your trucks.

In the suburbs I can put cars to shame, but now... :( ... now these cars outperform me on the highway and I'm a little disturbed.

http://1000awesomethings.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/man-crying.jpg

Drives: F150, Lariat.

How fast is "fast"?

CHEESE2009
01-17-2013, 09:36 AM
How fast is "fast"?

100kmh.

I start to feel some back end lift at round 70kmh.

-

I think it's also worth mentioning that we have the worst roads in the world. They fall apart the same day they are set.

LawnBoy0311
01-17-2013, 10:51 AM
Right now the majority of people reading this are comparing kmh to mph. Guaranteed.

CHEESE2009
01-17-2013, 11:56 AM
Right now the majority of people reading this are comparing kmh to mph. Guaranteed.

lmao... i know...

I was going to be nice and convert it, but man I am lazy.

Steve
01-17-2013, 12:50 PM

LOL I was doing that. I saw 100kmh and thought 100k mph! :eek:

How many miles on the truck? Is it possible the suspension is shot and you could use new shocks?

thom
01-17-2013, 02:53 PM
100kmh.

I start to feel some back end lift at round 70kmh.

-

I think it's also worth mentioning that we have the worst roads in the world. They fall apart the same day they are set.

60 to 70 MPH isn't excessive speed.
Is this something you are wanting to fix yourself?

Ducke
01-19-2013, 10:06 AM
its a Ford trade it in and get a real truck A chevy. :D

jsslawncare
01-20-2013, 07:22 AM
In my area when it snow's usually by the time we get dressed to go out side the snow melts and is all gone. So I guess I don't know. If I were you I'd try 120 whatever.

CS-LawnService
01-22-2013, 04:02 PM
60 to 70 MPH isn't excessive speed.
Is this something you are wanting to fix yourself?

he is on snow covered roads in blizzards doing 70

The Cleaning Doctor
01-23-2013, 11:33 AM
Have you checked your tire pressure lately? Low tire pressure can cause them to roll from side to side.

cpenn481
01-25-2013, 08:04 PM
It is my learned experienced opinion that and speed that causes a lose of traction ( back end wanting to swing) is too fast. You also have some other factors, most cars today are front wheel drive, this means there is more weight on their controlling tires than your giving them more traction thereby allowing them the extra control and passing you. If you have recently added a plow or a different plow this too can be a source of your problem. As the extra weight up front pushes down the front the rear will rise affecting the balance of the vehicle and take weight from the rear. My advice is check the tire pressures and shocks. Easy way to check shocks is if after a 30 minute or so drive touch them. If they arent warm, they are bad. Warm may be relative considering where you live. If all is good with tires and shocks you are left with two choices, put about 100 pounds of weight in the back or slow down a little even though 70kph isn't all that fast it just may be too fast. Where does a guy from Georgia get this expeience that forms his opinion you ask? In a former life I was an over the road truck driver with well over a million accident free miles driven in 49 of the fifty states plus all 5 provinces of Canada. My other business is still a small trucking company, I just dont have to drive the trucks anymore. Got folks hired just for that. Btw cheese i love the videos, they were a part of my decision to buy a toro, along with some other advice I got here. Hope this insite helps.

bruces
01-25-2013, 08:46 PM
It is my learned experienced opinion that and speed that causes a lose of traction ( back end wanting to swing) is too fast. You also have some other factors, most cars today are front wheel drive, this means there is more weight on their controlling tires than your giving them more traction thereby allowing them the extra control and passing you. If you have recently added a plow or a different plow this too can be a source of your problem. As the extra weight up front pushes down the front the rear will rise affecting the balance of the vehicle and take weight from the rear. My advice is check the tire pressures and shocks. Easy way to check shocks is if after a 30 minute or so drive touch them. If they arent warm, they are bad. Warm may be relative considering where you live. If all is good with tires and shocks you are left with two choices, put about 100 pounds of weight in the back or slow down a little even though 70kph isn't all that fast it just may be too fast. Where does a guy from Georgia get this expeience that forms his opinion you ask? In a former life I was an over the road truck driver with well over a million accident free miles driven in 49 of the fifty states plus all 5 provinces of Canada. My other business is still a small trucking company, I just dont have to drive the trucks anymore. Got folks hired just for that. Btw cheese i love the videos, they were a part of my decision to buy a toro, along with some other advice I got here. Hope this insite helps.

All 5 provinces in canada eh ?which of the ten did we get rid of when I wasnt looking ?Hopefully,we finally got rid of Quebec [even though Cheese lives there]

cpenn481
01-26-2013, 06:03 AM
All 5 provinces in canada eh ?which of the ten did we get rid of when I wasnt looking ?Hopefully,we finally got rid of Quebec [even though Cheese lives there]

My apologies to my northern brethren, that should have read all but 5 not all 5. I have not been to Manitoba, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and the other two are so far north I dont know their names. You stand about as good a chance of getting rid of Quebec as we do of ridding ourseleves of California. Cheese is a funny guy we will take him down south if ya'll don't want him. Of course he might need to learn to speak spanish if he wants to hire a crew. :D

bruces
01-26-2013, 09:55 AM
thats bad news for us,I figured we finally got rid of those quebec seperatist buggers .Anyways just bustin your balls ,but the northern provinces are actually territories ,I bet you havent been to newfoundland,pei,and manitoba .I think I can talk for most canadians when I say we will happily trade california for quebec ,and to sweeten the deal we will include Cheese even though he is entertaining .

cpenn481
01-26-2013, 06:51 PM
You are correct I haven't been to those. I will say I like the BC area best its very pretty over there. As for California it is one of our finer states as far as land goes. The people not so much. Its the only state I know of you can go fishing or surfing on the beach, bike riding in the desert and snow skiing in the mountains all on the same day. I lived out there 3 years while in the military, loved it.

bruces
01-26-2013, 08:03 PM
it was a balmy -18 here today,the warmest we have had in a week ,California sounds fantastic to me right now .I actually spent 6 months working at the epcott centre in florida when I was in grade 10 ,January was really strange coming from where I live in northern ontario to such a mild climate as that .

cpenn481
01-27-2013, 07:50 AM
it was a balmy -18 here today,the warmest we have had in a week ,California sounds fantastic to me right now .I actually spent 6 months working at the epcott centre in florida when I was in grade 10 ,January was really strange coming from where I live in northern ontario to such a mild climate as that .

Florida like California is a wonderful place. I want to retire there someday. I was not made for the cold. If it get below 30 here i say screw it and and dont go outside. They have lots and lots of pretty green grass there too. Year round cutting. A lawn mans paradise. Lol

Von Bobbeh
01-30-2013, 11:38 AM
Please don't convert it. Make us stupid yankee's learn metric the hard way. It's our own fault we don't already use it.