PDA

View Full Version : Unemployment: Worth it?

SomrakLC
01-14-2013, 10:36 PM
For the most part I'll be solo, and any slight help I might need will be under the table. I'm from NE Ohio, so just plowing in the winter, but snow has been sparce for a couple years. Is it worth paying myself an hourly wage and paying into unemployment?

stevef1201
01-15-2013, 06:07 AM
You cannot collect unemployment if you own the business. sorry, However If you were an employee of a corporation then the corporation would have to provide health insurance, and pay for unemployment, and workers comp insurance.

SomrakLC
01-15-2013, 08:25 AM
One of my commercial accounts owns a concrete business, a successful one at that. He pays himself an hourly wage, considers himself an employee and collects. I'm fairly certain he wouldn't risk it it you couldn't. I'll just call and ask them. Best bet.

dpld
01-15-2013, 08:41 AM
One of my commercial accounts owns a concrete business, a successful one at that. He pays himself an hourly wage, considers himself an employee and collects. I'm fairly certain he wouldn't risk it it you couldn't. I'll just call and ask them. Best bet.

maybe his success is forcing him to find creative ways to bypass tax liability.

when you weigh in the employee and employers cost for UE insurance and then add the cost for workers comp for yourself it far exceeds what you will get in return for UE.

if you can absorb those costs then maybe you should set that money aside and save it for your slow months because you would have more money doing that then collecting UE.

plus if you were to make a off season equipment purchase for the following year and you were collecting unemployment and needed to finance it you would not get it because you would be considered unemployed.

banks don't loan money to the unemployed.

Steve
01-15-2013, 01:10 PM
Is it worth paying myself an hourly wage and paying into unemployment?

What do you mean by this?

shadrach
01-15-2013, 03:06 PM
A solo guy drawing unemployment would just be paying someone else to do your budgeting for you.

SomrakLC
01-15-2013, 04:04 PM
Thanks guys. I thought it might not be worth it, so I figured I would ask people in the industry.