PDA

View Full Version : How I found TOO Many Customers! AND YOU CAN TOO (Step by Step)

BLC7
01-11-2013, 02:12 PM
But before we get to that, let me introduce myself, so please bear with me.

I just started a Lawn Mowing business. I have 1 account from last year, a commercial account that includes 8 yards.

The only problem is that the yards are an hour away, and the route is 87 miles… and that’s AFTER I get there.

So each mowing is approximately 200 miles… for 8 yards, 3 times per month.

This was just a side gig last year, and I took it for sentimental reasons.. plus I learned that I enjoyed the heck out of mowing the yards.

The real story is that I’m not a lawn guy, I’m really an SEO/Internet Marketing guy, and this is what I mean by “I Found TOO Many Customers – AND YOU CAN TOO!”

WARNING: I AIN’T SELLIN NOTHING, SO DON’T EVEN ASK

I live in a pretty small town and picked up a Dental Practice locally as one of my clients 15 months ago.

The long of the short of it is when I began working with them, their parking lot was literally empty every time I went by for a meeting. And by empty I mean zero to 2 cars at any time I went by to pick up a check or drop off data reports.

As the months went by, I noticed there were constantly more and more vehicles in their parking lot… The past 6 months it has gotten to the point where it’s difficult to even get a parking spot when I go over to pick up my check.

I tell you this story, because…. they just fired my butt..... Sort of.

It turns out, they’re so booked up, they can’t take any more patients…. Well, they “can”, but they’re going to be selective, and are tired of turning people away that I send to them… so they want all of my marketing to be shut down for the time being.

Sounds good to me.. If they can’t handle the volume, then it’ll just hurt their reputation if every new phone call they take ends up in “sorry, we can’t take you”.

So, anways… ONWARD.

Last year I had the 1 commercial account, and it was fun, but a pain in the butt to drive to every 10 days because of the distance.

Over the past month or so, I’ve been contemplating starting up a service here locally to see if I could do it.

Well, after my Dentist fired me this week, I got some extry time on my hands!

And I’m going to use the EXACT same strategy I used for their practice for my lawn service.

100% Online.

It may or may not work, but I’m going to lay it out, and if you want to follow it, cool. If you want to copy it, that’s cool too. I don’t really care. Just thought that I would give back to the community, because I’ve taken away a few nuggets from you guys that I think will help me as far as the business side of things.

PART II Step by step:

I’m going to use this thread to describe the process I use to generate leads from the interwebs.

Here’s what I’ve done so far.

1) Registered website: December 27, 2012 http://BruinLawn.com
2) Signed up & Confirmed Google Places/Maps page: http://Google.com/places
3) Created Youtube Account: Today http://youtube.com/NatchezLawnCare
4) Created Facebook Account: Today http://facebook.com/natchezlawncare

By doing a search for “Lawn Care Service Natchez” I can already see that I’m listed in the maps for that search term and about a dozen others. I put a lot of stock in the maps listings, because folks that use a phone to search out a business, MAPS always pops up at the top of their phone during a search.

Everything is created that I need so far, so I’m starting first by building out youtube videos to get them to show up in the Search Engines and build citations within each video to strengthen my Maps listings.

Youtube: I’m building and uploading a video for EACH keyword I plan to target: Lawn Care, Grass Mowing, etc. and the video will be near duplicate. The only difference will be the title and tags of the video, and the video length, so that Youtube doesn’t take it down for being a duplicate.

Different title & keywords = different video as far as youtube is concerned.

Here’s the video that I will use as a template for every video created for this account:

XXXXXX <**- will update link as soon as it's processed

Each video thereafter will have 3-5 seconds added to it to ensure no duplicates.

That’s what I’ve done so far, and like I said, I’ll update as this project moves forward.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. And like I said, I ain’t got nothing to sell, I’m just using this as a way to give back to the community.

BLC7
01-11-2013, 02:30 PM
For some reason, I'm not able to edit my original post to include the live Youtube Video, so here it is:

Video 1: http://youtu.be/rxxW3M6AM1M

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rxxW3M6AM1M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Video 2: http://youtu.be/XH6QkysOmtM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XH6QkysOmtM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Again, I will be duplicating this video over a dozen times changing only the length and title of the video before re-uploading to youtube.

BLC7
01-11-2013, 03:10 PM
Video 3: Lawn Mowing Service

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3FReXLLOgM

Video 4: Lawn Service

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpoBxiBbWNs

You can actually see these videos beginning to rank on page 1 and 2 of the different search terms, which is pretty crazy considering I've done nothing but upload the videos.

Check by typing any of these search terms:

Lawn Care Natchez
Lawn Care Service
Grass Mowing Service Natchez
Lawn Mowing Service Natchez
Lawn Service Natchez

Some of the keywords have the video on page 1, and some of the keywords have a video listed on page 2.

Pretty silly, but this is real time, guys. Just check the upload date & time on my youtube channel:

http://youtube.com/natchezlawncare

Think that's all I'm gonna do for today.. if you have any questions, just let me know.

Later.

dpld
01-11-2013, 04:32 PM
i fully understand what you are talking about and i don't have any disagreements but the only thing i would change or critique is being the vidoes are really just pictures with your business info i would think it should be fairly easy to use different images in the video's to at least make them appear to be different.

i know it may not be a deal breaker but some people would be turned off by seeing the same thing over and over again each time they click on the link expecting something different.

BLC7
01-11-2013, 04:55 PM
i fully understand what you are talking about and i don't have any disagreements but the only thing i would change or critique is being the vidoes are really just pictures with your business info i would think it should be fairly easy to use different images in the video's to at least make them appear to be different.

i know it may not be a deal breaker but some people would be turned off by seeing the same thing over and over again each time they click on the link expecting something different.

Agreed. Though, the videos aren't expected to be watched all by the same person. The idea is to get the video ranked for dozens of different keywords, so that the contact info is seen.

I don't know many folks who are looking to watch "Lawn Care" videos or videos on how to mow grass, and those that are will more than likely only be information seekers to improve their own lawn care skills, not a potential client.

The object is

1) to spread it over a large volume of keywords

Consumer searches "Lawn Care" (or whatever keyword), gets the info and calls

It's highly unlikely that the same consumer is going to search 10 different keywords to find someone to mow their grass, especially if they find what they're looking for on the first search.

That's the goal, allow them find you on the first search, not on the 5th

2) Build up authority on the Google map listings by listing the citation on each of the videos.

That's really all the video is used for: an additional tool to get the contact info out and to build authority for the Maps listings.

In the end, video will only be a small part of the overall strategy in taking over Google as Google generally only shows 2 videos per page of search results.

BLC7
01-11-2013, 05:27 PM

Also, using different pictures for each video isn't a bad idea, I just choose not to at the moment.

A google search of - Grass Mowing Service Natchez - currently shows my information 3 different times:

#1 Map Listing
#2 Map Listing
Organic Youtube Video Listing - Lawn Mowing Service

Tonight, I will begin syndication of an article across 1200 directories which will contain links to my site for Organic Placement.

Mid February, I'll begin a google adwords campaign to take up additional listings in the search results.

From now until mid-February, I'll strictly work on building out the website & use article syndication for Organic Search position and Youtube Videos for Search & Map Listings.

Mayor of Mow Town
01-11-2013, 05:34 PM
It is interesting to follow someone implementing some tactics and seeing the results in real time, so thanks.

I'm curious to understand more about how your efforts to rank well in Google fit into your overall strategy - both short term and long term.

1. Do you expect these rankings to drop off over time?

2. Do you also plan on using videos that offer customers value, whether that be educational, entertainment, trust building/face-to-camera stuff etc?

3. What are your plans for your website and broader business? Getting ranked on Google is only one (debatably optional) part of it. What are your plans on how to build trust and convert rankings to paying, awesome, customers?

BLC7
01-11-2013, 05:48 PM
It is interesting to follow someone implementing some tactics and seeing the results in real time, so thanks.

I'm curious to understand more about how your efforts to rank well in Google fit into your overall strategy - both short term and long term.

2. Do you also plan on using videos that offer customers value, whether that be educational, entertainment, trust building/face-to-camera stuff etc?

3. What are your plans for your website and broader business? Getting ranked on Google is only one (debatably optional) part of it. What are your plans on how to build trust and convert rankings to paying, awesome, customers?

Thanks, those are great questions! I answered below:

No, in fact, I expect to own 7-8 listings per keyword I target effectively squeezing out any competition that wises up.

Maybe. But not at the moment. The short term goal is to be about the only business to be found in the search listings. Currently there are very few lawn service companies even listed in google in my area where there are at least 20 or more businesses out and about mowing people's yards.

It's exactly the same scenario when I began working with my dental client on their business.

This comes in face to face time, and the quality of work. And this business is a "side project" that I'm going all in on. Meaning, I'm all in, but I'm not taking every job that comes my way, and I will tell potential customers that up front since I am fortunate enough to have the luxury of limiting the number of customers I work with.

It's basically, "Hi Jane, here's what's going on, this isn't my full time job or what makes me a living... this is what I enjoy doing. I'm not trying to get 100 accounts, in fact, I'm doing this for fun first and for money second. And because there will be a limited number of folks I work with, I'll be able to make sure you're happy with your yard instead of trying to finish in 10 minutes to get to the next yard. If that's something that sounds good to you, then we may be able to work together."

At that point, I will be open to constructive criticism and feedback to make sure they're happy... and most importantly, I will have the time to ensure they're happy and address any special needs they may have.

BLC7
01-11-2013, 06:02 PM

Oh... and after reading through the forums the past week, I have to admit, I'm probably the type of guy most of you loathe...

You know, mow, blow, and go.... That's all I really plan to do as that's the type of clients I'll be searching out. If they have other stuff they need done, I'll do it if I feel I can.

I'm not a turf expert like most of you, I just love mowing grass for some reason.

Cheeze Wiz
01-11-2013, 08:32 PM
Why not try something like this. http://youtu.be/GRWYv27-TXg Its not real fancy but it shows some of my work gives people some sort of idea of what I do.

BLC7
01-11-2013, 08:37 PM
Why not try something like this. http://youtu.be/GRWYv27-TXg Its not real fancy but it shows some of my work gives people some sort of idea of what I do.

Nice Video Ducke... I would but I don't have any. I didn't take any photos or video of the commercial gig I had this past year. 'Tis why I'm just using stock photos for seo purposes for now.

organiclawncanada
01-13-2013, 07:22 PM
I am interested in what you are doing, and how you will make out. How do you make your videos?

BLC7
01-13-2013, 08:11 PM
I am interested in what you are doing, and how you will make out. How do you make your videos?

Thanks..

I make them with sony vegas studio, but windows movie maker would do just the same - comes installed on all pc's.

I just load a picture.... put some music on it and add text. Each video will be slightly different in length... this is important.

So far, I've uploaded 18 videos the past 3 days, and took the advice to change the picture in each video instead of using the same one. Simple and quick enough.

My target city is Natchez, MS. And a quick search will show my website is now also on page 1 for Natchez Lawn Service...

If you care to see the results so far, the current keywords I'm targeting with video are:

Lawn Care
Lawn Maintenance
Lawn Service
Lawn Mowing Service
Lawn Care Service
Grass Mowing Service

And the locations are:

Natchez
Vidalia
Ferriday
Lake Bruin
Lake St. John

Just combine the location with any of the keywords above and search google, and you'll see what's happening so far.

Although the results and rankings are not just limited to these particular keywords.

The search results will vary with each keyword string.

Some will just show 1-2 videos, some will show 1-2 videos + the website, and some will show 1-2 videos + 1-2 Maps Listings + the website..

For example: grass mowing service natchez

Pulls up 2 Maps listings + 1 Video

lawn mowing service in natchez

Pulls up 1 Video at the Bottom of the page

lawn care service lake bruin

Pulls up 2 Maps listings, the website, my Youtube Channel link, plus 2 Videos

So it's progressing along quite well.

Other than creating the current videos, the past 48 hours I added a specific page on the website for each of the target areas, ie. http://bruinlawn.com/vidalia-lawn-service.html

And Friday night I submitted an article for syndication to create backlinks to my site. It hasn't hit yet, but when it does, I expect to see a nice jump in rankings for the website and the subpages.

Another important thing I did was create and link to the Facebook, Google+, Twitter, and youtube pages from my site, along with creating a link from each of those properties to http://bruinlawn.com

BLC7
01-14-2013, 02:13 PM
The first syndicated article hit yesterday, guys. While it'll be a week or longer to see the full effects across the spectrum of all the keywords I'm targeting, check this out:

7 of the 10 listings on the first page are mine, just google:

lake bruin lawn service

pretty cool.

I'm also considering some type of SMS text marketing, have any of you used this?

Steve
01-15-2013, 11:32 AM
I'm also considering some type of SMS text marketing, have any of you used this?
What is it and how does that work?

BLC7
01-15-2013, 01:11 PM
What is it and how does that work?

SMS is text marketing where folks just text a keyword to a short number... sort of how they did in the haiti disaster, ie: text Haiti to 55423 to donate 10 bucks.

Instead you'll have a sign, advertising space, etc. that says something like:

To Get Your Grass Cut
Text
Mowing
to

When people text the keyword "Mowing" to the particular number, their phone number is stored in your database where you can text or call them directly.

It's basically traditional list building but with phone numbers instead of emails. There's also an option to send out promos via mass texts to everyone who "opts-in" to your text list.

If that makes sense.

I'm considering implementing this, but haven't decided whether I will or not.

LawnBoy0311
01-15-2013, 03:36 PM
I think someone on here was telling us they did it. I can't remember which member though....

Anyway, he was saying he did well with it.

BLC7
01-15-2013, 04:14 PM
I think someone on here was telling us they did it. I can't remember which member though....

Anyway, he was saying he did well with it.

Yeah I think it would work well I just don't know exactly how is get the word out BC I'm not lettering my vehicle or putting magnets on it.

krzys666
01-15-2013, 07:27 PM
how did you get the multiple google local listing. looking to do the same

BLC7
01-15-2013, 07:57 PM
how did you get the multiple google local listing. looking to do the same

To get multiple listings you'll need more than 1 places listing verified by google, and then build numerous citations to each of the places listing which shows Google you're 'legit' and relevant....

Its a time consuming process, but I have a special branch of my web team that concentrates solely on citations.

To do it yourself, you would nee to find 50-75 different places to start such as manta, yelp, yahoo,etc and submit the business info to each.

But I prefer paying some to do it for me BC its a lot of work...

patrick6411
01-15-2013, 08:45 PM
To get multiple listings you'll need more than 1 places listing verified by google, and then build numerous citations to each of the places listing which shows Google you're 'legit' and relevant....

Its a time consuming process, but I have a special branch of my web team that concentrates solely on citations.

To do it yourself, you would nee to find 50-75 different places to start such as manta, yelp, yahoo,etc and submit the business info to each.

But I prefer paying some to do it for me BC its a lot of work...

Elaborate a little more please.

BLC7
01-15-2013, 08:57 PM
Elaborate a little more please.

Sure... elaborate on which part? Can you give me some specific questions you'd like addressed?

Steve
01-16-2013, 12:41 PM
I'm considering implementing this, but haven't decided whether I will or not.

What are the pros or cons do you feel to implementing a text marketing campaign? What keeps you on the fence about it? Does it just come down to whether or not you want to letter your truck to promote it?

BLC7
01-16-2013, 12:59 PM
What are the pros or cons do you feel to implementing a text marketing campaign? What keeps you on the fence about it? Does it just come down to whether or not you want to letter your truck to promote it?

I'm not going to letter my truck. What has me on the fence is how to promote the number other than on my site, and whether I want to invest in "stick signs" to put around town.

I will be tapped out at about 25 yards. If I were planning on building this business with as many yards as possible, it would be a no-brainer.

I'm more than likely going to implement this, just trying to figure out the best way.

dpld
01-16-2013, 01:48 PM
when you say you started a youtube account is this different from a normal account when you sign up for youtube?

if it is the same, can you make changes to your existing account?

dpld
01-16-2013, 02:35 PM
I'm not going to letter my truck. What has me on the fence is how to promote the number other than on my site, and whether I want to invest in "stick signs" to put around town.

I will be tapped out at about 25 yards. If I were planning on building this business with as many yards as possible, it would be a no-brainer.

I'm more than likely going to implement this, just trying to figure out the best way.

why would you not letter your truck?
considering that it serves as a easy way to promote your business as well as mobile and not stationary like a sign that is at the mercy of anyone seeing it driving by as well as a stick sign falling down or getting removed.

i don't dispute some of the methods you have described in this thread and i myself have been in business for 23 years and the way you attract new business and get exposure today vs when i started 23 years ago is as different as night and day.

but my concern in some of your methods is you are flooding the web with your information which suggests you want to gain work and be noticed but you seem to be not so concerned about some of the time tested methods that are still used today that compliment the work you are doing as well as is a final sealing of the deal that gives you credibility in your service area's.

as i said i been in business a good long while and i have been doing strictly commercial work for about the last 8 years and i want to get back into servicing the high end multi million dollar homes i used to do because i have found that the dynamic is changing and in preparation to making the transition to balance out my client base i need to modernize how i do things.

when i started my business, if you were in the phone book and had a ad in a couple newspapers as well as did some mail marketing you were set and it pretty much opened the floodgates for you but today print ads and postcard mailings are a complete waste of time and about the only old method that is still viable today is having a actual business line where you get a free listing in the phone book where people can find your number on the net as well as in directory assistance.

i know anyone on this site that is familiar with my posting history knows that i am not a fan of working for home owners and it may appear like i am eating crow or something by changing my stance on that.
but in all fairness to myself the type of home owners that i am targeting as well as worked for in the past are huge multi million dollar homes with acerage that generally cost in the range of 10 k a year or more to maintain.
the type of people who have no budget restraints and want the best of everything that are well into 6 digit incomes or more.

i currently have a web site that i put together a while back when i made the decision to make a transition back to home owners and although it gets the point across it is very basic and after the fact i came to the conclusion that it is hard on the eyes and does not have all of what i want on it.
but at the same time, i am a landscaper and i am not very savvy with a computer so for the time being it is what it is and i have already contacted some people who are professionals in web site design and i will soon be having a real pro get that situated for me so i can get the eyesore put to bed.

but on top of that i have to create some videos and get on facebook, youtube and kind of get with the program on doing things the modern way through the internet.
luckily i was already registered with google and had a account with them but up until recently i never really took full advantage of that because i work closely with management co's and really have had not had to do much marketing.

one other thing i am fortunate to have is tons of images from properties that i have worked on so when i do put out videos i do not have to use stock images and i can have full confidence that there will be no smoke and mirrors or deception to my videos because the work is all my own and even if they are not currently customers all the work in the images have my personal signature on them.
also, don't get me wrong, i know someone starting out like yourself may have to rely on using stock images because you have yet to build up a client resume so to speak and there is nothing wrong with that and you got to do what you got to do so i am not knocking anyone.

BLC7
01-16-2013, 02:40 PM
when you say you started a youtube account is this different from a normal account when you sign up for youtube?

if it is the same, can you make changes to your existing account?

You can use an account that you already have.

What I mean is that whenever I enter a new market, I always create a new youtube account with the market keyword.

The reason is because I'm in 2 dozen different markets, so I wouldn't upload a lawn service video to an account that has 20 videos about Home Theater installation.

So if you have a youtube account you use for your lawn services, you can just use that.

Or if you want to create a new account, I would name it something like: youtube.com/mycitylawnservices simply for the seo value the keywords create within the youtube url.

BLC7
01-16-2013, 02:52 PM
why would you not letter your truck?
considering that it serves as a easy way to promote your business as well as mobile and not stationary like a sign that is at the mercy of anyone seeing it driving by as well as a stick sign falling down or getting removed.

i don't dispute some of the methods you have described in this thread and i myself have been in business for 23 years and the way you attract new business and get exposure today vs when i started 23 years ago is as different as night and day.

but my concern in some of your methods is you are flooding the web with your information which suggests you want to gain work and be noticed but you seem to be not so concerned about some of the time tested methods that are still used today that compliment the work you are doing as well as is a final sealing of the deal that gives you credibility in your service area's.

as i said i been in business a good long while and i have been doing strictly commercial work for about the last 8 years and i want to get back into servicing the high end multi million dollar homes i used to do because i have found that the dynamic is changing and in preparation to making the transition to balance out my client base i need to modernize how i do things.

when i started my business, if you were in the phone book and had a ad in a couple newspapers as well as did some mail marketing you were set and it pretty much opened the floodgates for you but today print ads and postcard mailings are a complete waste of time and about the only old method that is still viable today is having a actual business line where you get a free listing in the phone book where people can find your number on the net as well as in directory assistance.

i know anyone on this site that is familiar with my posting history knows that i am not a fan of working for home owners and it may appear like i am eating crow or something by changing my stance on that.
but in all fairness to myself the type of home owners that i am targeting as well as worked for in the past are huge multi million dollar homes with acerage that generally cost in the range of 10 k a year or more to maintain.
the type of people who have no budget restraints and want the best of everything that are well into 6 digit incomes or more.

i currently have a web site that i put together a while back when i made the decision to make a transition back to home owners and although it gets the point across it is very basic and after the fact i came to the conclusion that it is hard on the eyes and does not have all of what i want on it.
but at the same time, i am a landscaper and i am not very savvy with a computer so for the time being it is what it is and i have already contacted some people who are professionals in web site design and i will soon be having a real pro get that situated for me so i can get the eyesore put to bed.

but on top of that i have to create some videos and get on facebook, youtube and kind of get with the program on doing things the modern way through the internet.
luckily i was already registered with google and had a account with them but up until recently i never really took full advantage of that because i work closely with management co's and really have had not had to do much marketing.

one other thing i am fortunate to have is tons of images from properties that i have worked on so when i do put out videos i do not have to use stock images and i can have full confidence that there will be no smoke and mirrors or deception to my videos because the work is all my own and even if they are not currently customers all the work in the images have my personal signature on them.
also, don't get me wrong, i know someone starting out like yourself may have to rely on using stock images because you have yet to build up a client resume so to speak and there is nothing wrong with that and you got to do what you got to do so i am not knocking anyone.

Thanks for your post.

I'm just not interested in lettering my truck as it's brand new. I will have signs made to put on my trailer, though.

I understand it's incongruent that I'm "flooding" the web with my information, but at the same time limiting the number of yards I'll do.

That's just how I'm doing it, that way, hopefully, I'll have more people calling me than I can handle.

That can never be a bad thing, can it? Maybe I'll sell the leads out, or maybe I'll build a crew. Who knows.

And by the way, I just signed up to an SMS/text marketing program....

If you wanna see what happens when someone texts in for more information, then just text thelawnboy to 90210.

This thing cracks me up.

I just set it up in the last hour, and I'm diggin' it.

dpld
01-16-2013, 02:53 PM
You can use an account that you already have.

What I mean is that whenever I enter a new market, I always create a new youtube account with the market keyword.

The reason is because I'm in 2 dozen different markets, so I wouldn't upload a lawn service video to an account that has 20 videos about Home Theater installation.

So if you have a youtube account you use for your lawn services, you can just use that.

Or if you want to create a new account, I would name it something like: youtube.com/mycitylawnservices simply for the seo value the keywords create within the youtube url.

i guess i should have mentioned that when i originally signed up to youtube many many moons ago i did so with a generic name unrelated to my business just for standard viewing and posting comments.

so i guess i will have to start a new account.

BLC7
01-16-2013, 02:57 PM
i guess i should have mentioned that when i originally signed up to youtube many many moons ago i did so with a generic name unrelated to my business just for standard viewing and posting comments.

so i guess i will have to start a new account.

Either way will work.

If you do a new account, I would definitely use the mycitylawnservice strategy. But that's just me.

BLC7
01-16-2013, 03:03 PM
Actually, I might put letters on my back windshield for the SMS/Text Lead Gen strategy:

Text
TheLawnBoy
to

That way if I want to take if off, I can do so without ruining the paint.

dpld
01-16-2013, 03:41 PM
yeah i put a video up on youtube and i screwed up on the link so i will have to see what i can figure out that i did wrong.

sucks when you are computer illiterate.

BLC7
01-16-2013, 03:55 PM
yeah i put a video up on youtube and i screwed up on the link so i will have to see what i can figure out that i did wrong.

sucks when you are computer illiterate.

what are you trying to find? The link to the video? Or the link to your youtube page?

dpld
01-16-2013, 05:01 PM
what are you trying to find? The link to the video? Or the link to your youtube page?

well the problem i am having is my business name is registered with google and i opened a new account in youtube with the same name.

when i try to create a channel and it asks for my name i want it tells me that the name i choose will change how i am seen on all google products and when i try to keep the same name it comes up as a invalid or unavailable name.

so my concern is i don't want to screw up how i am found on the google search by coming up with a different name.

i am sure to someone else it may be a very simple solution or maybe i am making too much out of it.

i see when i go to your channel it says natchez lawn care but in the about section it has your name as bruin lawn so my question is, is your business name bruin lawn care or natchez lawn care?

and i assume natchez is your locations name and if so is that how you are registered with google or are you registered as bruin lawn care?

should i create a account with my city's name and then name the channel as my business name?

i am confused to the point where i have a migrane headache.

BLC7
01-16-2013, 06:25 PM
well the problem i am having is my business name is registered with google and i opened a new account in youtube with the same name.

when i try to create a channel and it asks for my name i want it tells me that the name i choose will change how i am seen on all google products and when i try to keep the same name it comes up as a invalid or unavailable name.

so my concern is i don't want to screw up how i am found on the google search by coming up with a different name.

i am sure to someone else it may be a very simple solution or maybe i am making too much out of it.

i see when i go to your channel it says natchez lawn care but in the about section it has your name as bruin lawn so my question is, is your business name bruin lawn care or natchez lawn care?

and i assume natchez is your locations name and if so is that how you are registered with google or are you registered as bruin lawn care?

should i create a account with my city's name and then name the channel as my business name?

i am confused to the point where i have a migrane headache.

Easy work around... log into your current youtube account. Change the name in the settings to City Lawn Care/Service.

Put whatever you want in the about section.

To rename your youtube account, do this:

-> Log in
-> Click "My Channel" (top right drop down under your name)
-> Click "Channel Settings" (top left)
-> Click "Info and Settings"
-> Change your channel name

That's all there is to it. Don't worry about creating another youtube channel.

EL Nino Patio
01-16-2013, 10:34 PM
YouTube has got to be my FAVORITE way of advertising. I get a kick out of thinking up ideas, recording them and producing them. It's really not all that hard guys. If you have a Windows PC, you've likely already got Windows Movie Maker.

Here is one of my favorites. I post it to my website and Facebook page for my business and then share it on my personal Facebook page.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VSPIH3ce28

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5VSPIH3ce28" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

dpld
01-17-2013, 08:19 AM
http://youtu.be/JtUKhEtR85M

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JtUKhEtR85M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

this is a little half @zzed clip i put together using some pics of the properties i have worked on over the years.
it is pretty basic and i am not very good yet at doing these things yet.

even the web site i made is atrocious but i will have some better qualified people taking over that job for me.

as is i said earlier i am kind of re re inventing my business after 23 years and by doing so i got to get with the program and do things the modern way in order to make that happen because things like marketing have changed greatly over the last 10 years to the point where i am like a fish out of the water,

i got spoiled from working with management co's the last several years to the point where the times have passed me by.

but the good news is outside of educating myself on how to do these things i have built up hundreds of images of my work over the years so everything you see in this cheesy clip i made was done by me and are either current or past customers.

if any of you watch it, let me know what you think of my stone man sitting on the rock i made 10 years ago.

Steve
01-17-2013, 12:39 PM
if any of you watch it, let me know what you think of my stone man sitting on the rock i made 10 years ago.

That is very creative and unique! How did you make that?

BLC7
01-17-2013, 01:08 PM
Cool video.

Let us know when your new site is finished. Would love to check it out. What company are you using for the design?

http://youtu.be/JtUKhEtR85M

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JtUKhEtR85M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

this is a little half @zzed clip i put together using some pics of the properties i have worked on over the years.
it is pretty basic and i am not very good yet at doing these things yet.

even the web site i made is atrocious but i will have some better qualified people taking over that job for me.

as is i said earlier i am kind of re re inventing my business after 23 years and by doing so i got to get with the program and do things the modern way in order to make that happen because things like marketing have changed greatly over the last 10 years to the point where i am like a fish out of the water,

i got spoiled from working with management co's the last several years to the point where the times have passed me by.

but the good news is outside of educating myself on how to do these things i have built up hundreds of images of my work over the years so everything you see in this cheesy clip i made was done by me and are either current or past customers.

SECTLANDSCAPING
01-17-2013, 02:20 PM
Text
TheLawnBoy
to

how do you set this up?

BLC7
01-17-2013, 02:39 PM
how do you set this up?

Shoot El Nino Patio (in this thread above) a PM. He's the one that set me up.

BLC7
01-17-2013, 03:17 PM
So, since I'm going to also implement SMS/Text marketing along with web marketing, I've decided to attempt to brand the business around town as The Lawn Boy.

With that, I also created a new site: http://thelawnboy.net

I will optimize both bruinlawn.com & thelawnboy.net for the web for double exposure. Now, instead of attempting to flood the search engines with just 1 website, I'll do it with 2.

I'll simply duplicate everything I've done with bruinlawn.com, ie: Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, Places, etc.

This stuff is just fun.

Maybe this will turn into a full blown dang business after all, if I get a large response from my marketing efforts.

My new goal is to just totally own page 1 of the google search results for all my keywords.

I believe I have A.D.D.

BLC7
01-17-2013, 07:19 PM
Guess this is gonna be my logo for now.

http://www.bruinlawn.com/images/the-Lawn-Boy-Logo-tag.png

dpld
01-18-2013, 08:27 AM
That is very creative and unique! How did you make that?

thanks steve.

it was a very time consuming project and took several attempts at getting it right and after you find the right stone to use as your base you take pieces of slate and cut each piece to the shape of each portion of the subject and work your way from the bottom up.

i built it at my shop and then disassembled it and brought it to the site and reassembled it and the final assembly you use adhesive like you use for wall block caps and then you drill through each section like the leg or torso and install a steel half inch rod for added support as well as the section of the torso to the head the rod goes into the base stone as well.

one of the reasons why i want to get back into the high end properties again is because i miss doing that work and using my creative abilities and although we make a good living doing the commercial property care there is not much call for that sort of thing.

i am proud of that project and i am not too sure if i want to replicate it again but if someone wants to pay me what that customer did i would probably do it again.
i first got the idea to do that when i seen some similar stone features when i was on vacation in california but the projects i seen that inspired me were far more elaborate and also did some animals and i settled for that one because it was easier to do compared to the other work i have seen.

but there was a lot of trial and error and i went through about 5 times the stone then you see in the piece because we had a ton of screw ups until we finally figured it all out.

dpld
01-18-2013, 08:39 AM
Cool video.

Let us know when your new site is finished. Would love to check it out. What company are you using for the design?

the person i am using for the web design is a customer of mine who is a software engineer and used to do web designs when he first started out and when i told him about my lack of computer skills and what i wanted to do he offered to help me out.
so in return i will be doing some work at his property and it will work out great for him and myself because we will both be getting something we need.

the only reason why i did the web site that i have now is because when i switched over all my phones and internet to a new company it came with a web site and i felt it was better then someone getting there and it saying coming soon.

the web site is gonna be more geared towards home owners because with the commercial work i get it all through the management co's so i really don't have to push that too much.
if i get back in to servicing the high end properties like i used to do it will allow me to make a little more money in other areas as well as allow me to do all of what i know how to do.
the commercial work will be my bread and butter as well as keep the snow plow end of the business going because there is not much money in the home owner market for that.
although i am sure to some extent i will have to get back into that as well because it is a double edged sword and you got to take the good with the bad.

willshome
01-18-2013, 09:18 AM
dpld I check out your website
One thing you can do that will help with Google is under SERVICES add description of each under the list. This helps with on topic words.

Let me know if you need help with back links.....
Google your website to see what is working
yours "About 86 results (0.48 seconds)"

TroyValdez
01-18-2013, 09:34 AM
Guess this is gonna be my logo for now.

http://www.bruinlawn.com/images/the-Lawn-Boy-Logo-tag.png

It's nice logo... BTW, did you ever proofread all your site's pages ??? ie. this one : disclaimer.html .

Guys, if you consider to implementing a text marketing campaign maybe you should try "free version" - using twitter - before you decide using "paid version" from "big smart" sms texting provider. Check this out :
http://support.twitter.com/articles/14020-twitter-sms-commands

dpld
01-18-2013, 09:41 AM
dpld I check out your website
One thing you can do that will help with Google is under SERVICES add description of each under the list. This helps with on topic words. This is how I did it feel free to copy.

Let me know if you need help with back links.....
Google your website to see what is working
yours "About 86 results (0.48 seconds)"

i recently updated my google listing and i should be getting a confirmation in the coming days so that has not taken effect yet.

initially i though it was automatic and a given but i since have found there is a lot more to it then a internet novice like myself would believe.

i like how you got the white background for most of your site and i could not get mine to do that and as you probably seen it is hard on the eyes, at least to me it is.
my personal opinion of my site is it looks like something when the internet first came around.
it looks dated and out of touch.
i also had issues with loading my own images and had to use stock images but once again i would be the first person to say that the final product you see and all the things it is lagging is a direct result of my lack of skills and knowledge in doing these things.

i really appreciate your input as well as blc7 and anyone else i have not mentioned because it has been very helpful.

this site and the people here is proof positive and is a reminder that no matter how successful you are and regardless of how long you been doing something that everyone has something to offer as well as proves you need to keep your eyes wide open in life because you can always learn something new if you listen.
i also feel the younger generations are far more savvy with these types of things because they grew up with the technology where as i lived 30 years before we ever even had a internet.

so once again thanks to all who have helped.:)

BLC7
01-18-2013, 11:34 AM
It's nice logo... BTW, did you ever proofread all your site's pages ??? ie. this one : disclaimer.html .

Guys, if you consider to implementing a text marketing campaign maybe you should try "free version" - using twitter - before you decide using "paid version" from "big smart" sms texting provider. Check this out :
http://support.twitter.com/articles/14020-twitter-sms-commands

Thanks.. Not too worried about the disclaimer page, because I'm going to nofollow it later on - plus no one ever reads it except google.

I checked out the twitter sms page, I don't even see how that would work. Seems like a pain in the butt. It might be good for small scale, but I don't see how you can use it as a direct response tool.

What has me enamored about the SMS/Txt marketing thing, is that it offers branding built into direct response - which is dang near unheard of.

willshome
01-18-2013, 11:35 AM
my personal opinion of my site is it looks like something when the internet first came around.

I would not kill yourself over your sites "look" I don't have a great site because
A. no one in my area does
B. do I really want to raise the bar
C. I am in lawn care not a online store

I would backlink the living daylights out of it YOU MUST BE FOUND!!!
Update your listing for D Perkalis Landscaping in Denville, NJ 07834
update your yp.com listing with your site info (http://www.yellowpages.com/denville-nj/mip/d-perkalis-landscaping-465583903?lid=465583903) (they will call to "update billing address" say no thanks
and here is a list of places to list your site (http://brocktonlawns.wordpress.com/helping-your-business-reach-others/) I put together
And list it here (http://brocktonlawns.wordpress.com/about/)

BLC7
01-18-2013, 11:36 AM
i recently updated my google listing and i should be getting a confirmation in the coming days so that has not taken effect yet.

initially i though it was automatic and a given but i since have found there is a lot more to it then a internet novice like myself would believe.

i like how you got the white background for most of your site and i could not get mine to do that and as you probably seen it is hard on the eyes, at least to me it is.
i also had issues with loading my own images and had to use stock images but once again i would be the first person to say that the final product you see and all the things it is lagging is a direct result of my lack of skills and knowledge in doing these things.

i really appreciate your input as well as blc7 and anyone else i have not mentioned because it has been very helpful.

this site and the people here is proof positive and is a reminder that no matter how successful you are and regardless of how long you been doing something that everyone has something to offer as well as proves you need to keep your eyes wide open in life because you can always learn something new if you listen.
i also feel the younger generations are far more savvy with these types of things because they grew up with the technology where as i lived 30 years before we ever even had a internet.

so once again thanks to all who have helped.:)

Cool deal..

BLC7
01-18-2013, 02:16 PM
Guys,

I will no longer be updating progress in this thread going forward. If you have any questions about anything discussed here please start a new topic or shoot me a PM.

Thanks,

BLC

dpld
01-18-2013, 11:06 PM
I would not kill yourself over your sites "look" I don't have a great site because
A. no one in my area does
B. do I really want to raise the bar
C. I am in lawn care not a online store

i am not looking for cutting edge or raising the bar. i just want something that is more pleasing to the eye as well as using my own images.

i also want something that does not require too much maintenance and fits into the mainstream but yet has its own little details to make it my own.

i have never put too much interest in the online marketing in the past but now that i am trying to return back to the high end market i have found that no one uses old time standard print advertising anymore as their stand alone marketing and as time goes on it is to some degree phasing out.

as i mentioned earlier i been at this a while and when i started out it was a totally different game and i am certain in todays business world that if you rely fully on standard print advertising in phone books and newspapers and post cards and have very little or no internet presence more often then not you will paying far more for your advertising and getting to fewer people thus leading to fewer jobs.

nobody buys newspapers and looks in phone books anymore and you can use your phone or computer and find a name and number quicker then if you thumbed through the pages and it is also easier.

you can come on here or look around your local area and see that the guys who are kicking and scratching for work and plotting their next marketing scheme to drum up work with door knocking and post cards and the standard old way of marketing and it just is not that effective anymore and the guys that are big and get volumes of calls don't even waste their time with that stuff.
most people today can easily detect crap mail and get so much they just throw it in the garbage.
i myself am at the point that all i do is pull out the bills and checks out of the mail and the rest goes in the shredder without even a glance.

my main goal here is to just get with the program and modernize so to say and i already am doing pretty well in business and i want to get back to doing more of the things i want to do and i am getting tired of the grind of just running balls to the wall every week just to cut grass and normal maintenance.

i am just at the point now where i feel i have busted my butt the last 23 years in business and 28 years in the industry and have provided myself with a excellent means to make living and if i am to go another 20 years i have to be doing a little more of the things i want to do to keep it interesting.

i miss the patios and walls and big plant jobs and design work and with the commercial everything is already done and it just needs to be maintained.

willshome
01-19-2013, 12:07 AM
nobody buys newspapers and looks in phone books anymore and you can use your phone or computer and find a name and number quicker then if you thumbed through the pages and it is also easier.

you can come on here or look around your local area and see that the guys who are kicking and scratching for work and plotting their next marketing scheme to drum up work with door knocking and post cards and the standard old way of marketing and it just is not that effective anymore and the guys that are big and get volumes of calls don't even waste their time with that stuff.
you are so right my website has helped so much in the 11 months I have had it. 5382 people have visited it with 16689 page viewed (that's about 3 pages per person) not bad for $3 a month.

patrick6411
01-19-2013, 08:48 AM
Not trying to hijack the post. But if some of you guys want to get some good exposer and seo do as I have done in the past. Go over to fiver and search Facebook likes. For $5.00 you can get likes to your website. This will help you with Google and other search engines. Just a tip to help a few guys that are working on search engine optimization.

Mayor of Mow Town
01-20-2013, 12:45 AM
Not trying to hijack the post. But if some of you guys want to get some good exposer and seo do as I have done in the past. Go over to fiver and search Facebook likes. For $5.00 you can get likes to your website. This will help you with Google and other search engines. Just a tip to help a few guys that are working on search engine optimization.

Do you have any evidence that getting fake likes helps with SEO? I can't think of a single business reason to do it.

patrick6411
01-20-2013, 05:09 PM
There are thousands of articles talking about social media back links and Google using those since the last update.

Here is a solid site http://rankexecutives.com/social-media-seo/

Here a search for ya https://www.google.com/search?q=seo%20and%20social%20media&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

I belief the term is social SEO

cutnuplawnservice
02-27-2013, 05:05 PM

Nice video! How can I make a video to promote my service?

TroyValdez
02-27-2013, 05:56 PM
Nice video! How can I make a video to promote my service?

You can try animoto[dot]com or windows movie maker

BLC7
02-28-2013, 11:58 AM
Thought I'd give a quick update on the progress.

So far there have been no phone calls that I know of yet. It's been raining, cold, and nasty the past month. I can't even get out and mow my own yard at the moment because it's so wet.

Anyways. I did a little bit of work with backlinks to http://thelawnboy.net, and it's zoomed to the #1 spot for natchez lawn service.

And here are a few of the other terms and their variations that have gotten great rankings and stuck over the past 6 weeks:

Commercial Lawn Service Natchez:
#1, #2, & #3 spots in google with http://bruinlawn.com & http://thelawnboy.net

Natchez Lawn Mowing Service:
1, 2, 5, 8, 9, & 10 (6 spots on page 1)

grass mowing service natchez:
1, 2, 3, 4 (top 4 spots page 1)

Natchez Lawn (main keyword)
#1 on the maps & 2 listings in the natural results

Natchez Lawn Service (main keyword)
#1 overall, #2 in the maps

These listings reflect rankings from all properties: bruinlawn.com, thelawnboy.net, facebook page, & youtube.

I believe my twitter account is ranking for some keywords, but I've forgotten what the keyword phrases were.

This is trending across most all keywords in the area, so it's looking good so far. But like I said no calls yet, hopefully because it's so early in the year.

One of the major things I believe has contributed to the success of this campaign after having everything set up is the back linking scheme.

Rather than backlinking directly to my website 100's-1,000's of times, I created 5 squidoo pages. Each has a link pointing to thelawnboy.net.

I then took the 5 squidoo lenses, and blasted 100,000+ links directly at them.

I haven't set up any bookmarkings or social signals yet. I may not even have to. The backlink blast brought thelawnboy.net from page 2 to #1 in less than a week.

So, I guess now it's time to just sit and wait.

There are thousands of articles talking about social media back links and Google using those since the last update.

Here is a solid site http://rankexecutives.com/social-media-seo/

Here a search for ya https://www.google.com/search?q=seo%20and%20social%20media&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

I belief the term is social SEO

this actually does work. If you use it along side an alexa boost, it will blast your site 7-10 spots at a time.

Steve
02-28-2013, 01:21 PM
I love that domain name. Nice Choice. (thelawnboy.net)

So far there have been no phone calls that I know of yet.

What is your view on why you feel there have been no calls with the high ranking you have achieved? What could be missing to get more people calling?

BLC7
02-28-2013, 01:31 PM
I love that domain name. Nice Choice. (thelawnboy.net)

What is your view on why you feel there have been no calls with the high ranking you have achieved? What could be missing to get more people calling?

It's february?

I see some folks out mowing a few yards here and there, I just assume they're doing cleanups for accounts from last year. But it's wet as heck around here and has rained all month. I have water standing in my yard.

so that may be the main reason. it's too early to tell.