PDA

View Full Version : Looking to add pressure washing services

toddharmon
01-09-2013, 08:11 PM
I am looking to add pressure washing services. Can anyone suggest a good pressure washer? 2700 psi-3000 psi? Any thoughts on how much I should charge for say a 2500 sq ft home? Linear ft of driveways? I just opened my company in November and would welcome any and all tips/advice. I have a toro time cutter ss3200 zero turn mower. Toro weed eater, echo back pack blower echo gas edger, pole saw, electric hedge trimmers. Standard garden tools, shovels rakes etc. anyone think of anything I might be missing? I hope to land some pressure washing jobs because I feel it would be quick money. Thoughts?

Thanks!!!

Any thoughts on my website? Www.allstarscapes.com. Where all should I list online?

SECTLANDSCAPING
01-09-2013, 08:26 PM
Stop looking at PSI and start looking at GPM. You need something with 3.5-4 GPM. Take the psi and x's that by the gpm and thats your cleaning units.

Pricing is going to be different everywhere but remember its something thats done every few years. So theres no point of being cheap. Youll simply run out of work and not make money doing it.

You need to measure the exterior. A 2500 sq ft home could be 3000 sq ft it could be 4500 sq ft. Typically basements and garages arent figured in the homes sq ft.

I would call a few guys in your area and get a few estimates. That will let you know around what to charge. I wouldnt touch a house for less then $400 but I use a sq ft formula that works for me. You should average over $100 a hour if your bidding right.

toddharmon
01-09-2013, 08:49 PM
Thanks for the reply. Any advice on fall clean up bidding? I feel like I underbid every single one. Maybe that's why all my estimates are being accepted. Should I have a minimum price? I have a 5x16 trailer and I always have to make an extra trip to come get the rest of the bags. Thanks again!!

willshome
01-09-2013, 08:57 PM
just be careful you can burn a house down p-washing a siding wrong. Talk to your insurance for me p-washing is an extra $1,000 a year.

SECTLANDSCAPING
01-09-2013, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the reply. Any advice on fall clean up bidding? I feel like I underbid every single one. Maybe that's why all my estimates are being accepted. Should I have a minimum price? I have a 5x16 trailer and I always have to make an extra trip to come get the rest of the bags. Thanks again!!
I start at $199 because no matter what its always more work then it looks. If you get more then 1/2 the work you bid your prices are low. Fall clean ups are difficult to bid but you cant be afraid to tell them $500-$600.

just be careful you can burn a house down p-washing a siding wrong. Talk to your insurance for me p-washing is an extra $1,000 a year.
Same here, its not covered in my GL.

I actually called a guy up that was advertising $100 houses. He mentioned he was cheaper because he didnt have insurance. I said buddy dont you know you can burn down a house? He was like no you cant it would take a idiot to damage something pressure washing. I was just rolling.

bruces
01-09-2013, 10:26 PM
if your getting every job your bidding on,then your too cheap .

willshome
01-10-2013, 07:07 AM
would take a idiot to damage something pressure washing. I was just rolling.

That's why my lawn care insurance is like $500 (that covers me doing a lot of things) and p-washing is $1,000 and that's all it covers

Power washing must be low risk

Steve
01-10-2013, 01:26 PM
just be careful you can burn a house down p-washing a siding wrong.

How does this happen? Also, what other types of situations do new power washers need to be wary of so they don't cause any other sorts of damage?

SECTLANDSCAPING
01-10-2013, 02:03 PM
How does this happen? Also, what other types of situations do new power washers need to be wary of so they don't cause any other sorts of damage?

It happens when water gets under the siding. The wires arent meant to be exposed to the weather. When you get them wet they spark, lighting the insulation.

Theres many deaths reported from pressure washing. Everything from falling to electrocution.

Then all kind of damage can be caused from the water, pressure, etc.

The best way to avoid damage is get a pressure washer that uses a lot of water and dont use much pressure. Then let the chemicals do the work. If you do it like this the pressure washer acts as a hose to just rinse off.

willshome
01-10-2013, 02:22 PM

it can happen if the siding is installed poorly, damaged, or if you p-wash at the wrong angle, water gets into the wall and shorts out the wiring....FIRE

Shark1611
11-09-2013, 01:27 PM
I am looking at buying the Dewalt pressure washer at Home Depot item 60574 for $539.00. The one I have been using for the past few years has a Briggs on it and is about to go south on me. Looking at a better washer. What are yall using? Most my use is cleaning of large commercial rock buildings and sidewalks.

SECTLANDSCAPING
11-09-2013, 05:25 PM
I am looking at buying the Dewalt pressure washer at Home Depot item 60574 for $539.00. The one I have been using for the past few years has a Briggs on it and is about to go south on me. Looking at a better washer. What are yall using? Most my use is cleaning of large commercial rock buildings and sidewalks.

Get the next model up. The $799 3800 @ 3.5 or at least the $599 generac.

The one your looking at has a triplex pump but the gpm are to low. You need min 3gpm, 4gpm is pretty much the standard for cold washing.

I have the Dewalt 4200 @ 4, a Rigid 3300 @ 3.5 and a Excell 3100 @ 3. The rigid has a subaru and the others hondas but a engine will never be your problem with a pressure washer.

Shark1611
11-10-2013, 08:50 AM
Get the next model up. The $799 3800 @ 3.5 or at least the $599 generac.

The one your looking at has a triplex pump but the gpm are to low. You need min 3gpm, 4gpm is pretty much the standard for cold washing.

I have the Dewalt 4200 @ 4, a Rigid 3300 @ 3.5 and a Excell 3100 @ 3. The rigid has a subaru and the others hondas but a engine will never be your problem with a pressure washer.
Thanks for the information that helps me a lot.

Steve
11-11-2013, 02:15 PM
The rigid has a subaru and the others hondas but a engine will never be your problem with a pressure washer.

The big issue is less the engine than it is the gallons per minute it can pump?

SECTLANDSCAPING
11-11-2013, 03:45 PM
The big issue is less the engine than it is the gallons per minute it can pump?

Its the pump itself. The commercial triplex pumps come with 3-5 yr warranties. They tend to last a long time but cost almost the price of the machines to replace.

The cost to replace the engine is less. The engines out last the pumps 90% of the time. You can find a lot of pressure washers with good engines and bad pumps for damn near free.

Just for Cuts
11-13-2013, 10:49 PM
I'm still trying to figure out why wiring would be under someones siding...

Steve
11-14-2013, 10:57 AM
I think he was saying

water gets into the wall and shorts out the wiring....FIRE

I'd really be interested in seeing an article or something that shows this has happened before. I am sure anything is possible though.

SECTLANDSCAPING
11-14-2013, 11:56 AM
I'm still trying to figure out why wiring would be under someones siding...

When people add central AC, cable, outside lighting, sockets, generators, landscape lighting, etc. They will often run them under the siding. You use to seem them running down the side in conduit but that was ugly. By code the wire should be insulated but most of these are done by DIYers.

You wont see much news about it because it doesnt happen while your doing it. Its like damaging shingles, it might not show up then but eventually your going to have a leak.

Theres plenty of news articles about arcing water electrocuting people though.

http://www.wikihow.com/Pressure-Wash-Vinyl-Siding
4.) Work in a steady manner, pressure washing one section at a time from bottom to top, and sweeping from left to right. Always ensure that the nozzle is pointed downward at a 45-degree angle to minimize the amount of water that gets behind the siding. Excessive water can bulge siding, dampen insulation or framework, and cause mold or electrical damage over time.

Just for Cuts
11-14-2013, 07:03 PM
Honestly I've never seen anyone do anything that half-assed either up North or down here, but it's something I can look for now.

Steve
11-15-2013, 12:27 PM
When people add central AC, cable, outside lighting, sockets, generators, landscape lighting, etc. They will often run them under the siding.
I didn't even think about that but I could see how that could easily be the case. Over time I have seen a lot of older wiring insulation become very brittle and break apart. All you need is a little water to that and look out!

Jeeze, I did a quick search.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/mpNomBWp7U8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is proper to do under code requirements? Ack! I'd rather have it in conduit! Otherwise you end up having wires running everywhere unprotected.