PDA

View Full Version : Paying with credit card

Naylor's Lawncare
01-09-2013, 04:16 PM
Is any body using this square card reader that attaches to your phone?I thought about getting it so i can offer my customers the option on paying.What do you guys think of it.

aboveparlawnservices
01-09-2013, 06:06 PM
I decided to go with Pay Pals version. I figured that more people were familiar with it, than Square. Either one should do fine. With Pay Pal you can send your client an email with a link attached where they can pay from home. I'm sure Square has the same thing but I'm not sure. They all are going to charge you a small fee of around 2-3%, some charge you a monthly fee as well. I'm new to the business and haven't actually had someone pay with card yet but I charged $1 to my personal account and the payment went through with no problems. It will be very convenient though once the cutting season begins to allow customers to pay monthly from home by their credit card. I know that's the way I'd want to pay for such service. Hope this helps.

toddharmon
01-09-2013, 07:35 PM
I use intuit and it works fine.

brian'slawncare
01-10-2013, 04:12 PM
do all these (Inuit, PayPal, Square, etc.) have a way to do it on your smart phone? what about through an email, like if you didn't have a website which you could embed it into?

jsslawncare
01-10-2013, 05:09 PM
I use square, easy to use and it's the cheapest plus it's on my Iphone.

pburghlawns
01-10-2013, 05:12 PM
i use square, the card reader is free (major plus) and the 2.75% apr per swipe is cheaper then most of them out on the market, i would recommed it to anyone, and i like how the square reader offers a business login with photo id, that way customers can see a face to the person charging them money.

Steve
01-11-2013, 02:21 PM
Are there times you would rather swipe a card than take a check? What advantages do you find to doing that?

toddharmon
01-12-2013, 09:22 PM
do all these (Inuit, PayPal, Square, etc.) have a way to do it on your smart phone? what about through an email, like if you didn't have a website which you could embed it into?

I have intuit on my ipad, iPhone, laptop and PC. I have never had any issue. I don't know about the others but I'm sure they're all about the same but you can enter the customers email and it will send them a receipt straight to their email account. You can also set it up as an auto withdrawal each month for contract customers. This makes it an easy sell if you press that they won't have to worry about another bill in the mail to send off. I have learned that customers appreciate the convenience.

patrick6411
01-13-2013, 09:58 PM
Are there times you would rather swipe a card than take a check? What advantages do you find to doing that?

For me a credit card is better then a check any day. A check you either have to deposit or take to their bank. With a credit card you know right then if the money is there.

yourscape
01-14-2013, 07:48 AM
Is any body using this square card reader that attaches to your phone?I thought about getting it so i can offer my customers the option on paying.What do you guys think of it.

I use square and have not had anyproblems with it. There is a max deposits of $2k per week without having to wait for your money with square without a 7 day wait. That has been the only down fall I have seen so far. It is nice to use a credit card over mailing invoices out. Yes it does cost a little more but you are not having to mail out an invoice and hopefully get payment then run to the bank. The fees are around $3 per $100 charged. The rates are 2.75% and i believe and $.15 per transactions and normaly have it in my account in 2 days.

I have a couple of regular customer that I email them the invoice then charge there card 2 days later. Each of them just gave me there cards number and I type it in, I recommend it

Steve
01-14-2013, 02:07 PM
A check you either have to deposit or take to their bank. With a credit card you know right then if the money is there.

The thing I wonder is, how often will a lawn care business owner run into a problem where a check bounces vs. how often a credit card payment is charged back?

Also, sure you have to deposit a check, but on the flip side, is it better to have the credit card company take that % to handle that process themselves?

Naylor's Lawncare
01-14-2013, 04:29 PM
Thanks to every one for there feed back.I went ahead and order it.I was thinking this time of year when snow falls half the people never have money on them so i thought it would be great to offer.

Matther777
01-14-2013, 09:36 PM
For somebody starting in this business for the first time, what would you recommend to use for a payment? Credit cards or checks?

Steve
01-15-2013, 11:54 AM
For somebody starting in this business for the first time, what would you recommend to use for a payment? Credit cards or checks?
I would think monthly prepaid service via check, would be great. If you can't get that, then go with collecting at the end of the month. Although you might be ok with just using credit card processing from the start. If so, you need to be aware of the processing fees.

Greg'slawnandlandscape
01-18-2013, 11:05 AM
Square is awesome my favorite part is when I take cash or checks I can still send recipes to customers via text or email it is like a mobile cash register it calculates sales tax and gives an option for a tip. It also tells you what change to give back to the customer. The people around here are so lazy that they don't want thier lawn mowed because they don't want to go to the bank for cash there surprised when I pull the card reader out. And with square they send the reader for free

brian'slawncare
01-19-2013, 08:59 PM
What % does Square take from you? Just it just deposit it to your savings?

krzys666
01-19-2013, 10:09 PM
The thing I wonder is, how often will a lawn care business owner run into a problem where a check bounces vs. how often a credit card payment is charged back?

Also, sure you have to deposit a check, but on the flip side, is it better to have the credit card company take that % to handle that process themselves?

It is not that a check will bounce.

It is when you get paid.

today via credit card or next month via check