PDA

View Full Version : Cheap lawn care business names

Steve
10-24-2007, 04:46 PM
What is your view on using lawn care business names that project a cheap price.

Like:
Budget Cuts
Cheap Cuts
AAA Lawns
Affordable Lawns

Is it a good business move or a bad one and why so?

Steve
10-24-2007, 04:53 PM
Do you feel cheap business names attract cheap customers? Does such a customer base then prevent you from growing?

Little's
10-24-2007, 06:52 PM
It could be goos or bad depending on how you look at it. Good to get people to call. But probably not the right people. Probably are large customer turn over rate with a name like those.

Steve
10-24-2007, 07:04 PM
When you look around, do you ever see any larger companies with names like these? Do such names allow a business to last any length of time?

pmblair
10-25-2007, 12:57 AM
I think it's bad business. It would definately attract people, but not the ones you REALLY want to have on your client list. Might be good for someone just starting up who only wants to do small lawns or something. ...the only good point would be that the AAA Lawns would show up first in the phone book. When I call someone from the phonebook though (let's say a plumber), I don't look at AAA Plumbing first... I look through all the names for someone I have heard of... then I go back and find the names that sound professional.

Pflat1
11-08-2007, 11:12 AM
I live in Southwestern PA *, about 25 mins north of Pittsburgh. *Southwestern PA is in the top 5 in the USA for population of people 65 and older. *My name is Budget Cuts cause who is 65 and older and not on a budget? *I have 150 Res. yards *and 4 smaller banks and I have had 85% of these people for over 12 years. *The average lots around here is about 200 x 50 w/ the house. * My cheapest cut is $20 for about 6 mins work. *Just me and my dad , I cut, he ww. *He gets paid nice for ww *hahahaha

In no way do we come across as cheap , we dont go out and buy a new dually truck cause we dont need it. *We keep our exp. low. *

Oh yeah I almost 4got , I have never advertised at all , no signs or cards or nothing for the first 5 years. *All word of mouth , seriously. * All I have now are Shirts, Cards and magntic signs on truck and trailer.

2000 Ford F150
3 Scag 36 WB *(new, 3 yrs old
4 Stihl WW
3 Stihl Blowers
2 Stihl gas hedge trimmers
& a couple Lawnboys *

Steve
11-08-2007, 11:22 AM
Hi Pflat1,

Welcome to our forum and thanks for sharing your insight with us! Do you have any pictures of your marketing material and/or your truck trailer set up? I'd love to see it.

FourSeasons
01-20-2008, 10:27 PM
I don't think it would be good to use this in a name. But I would use it in advertising when first starting to get people to call for some cash flow going.
Thats what I did. Now my ad says competive pricing.

I don't want a cheap sounding name.

StartALawnCareBusiness
01-21-2008, 05:39 AM
I think it depends on your target customer.

If you are targeting residents of exclusive communities or plant managers of industrial complexes then you probably want to avoid "Affordable Lawn Care."

However, if you are targeting senior citizens or duplex communities then "A.L.C." is a great name to go with.

"Affordable" could be a descriptor also. If your name is Premier Landscaping, is there anything wrong with advertising as "affordable lawn care - free estimates" when you advertise in publications that seniors read? The word 'affordable' is, afterall, a description and not necessarily a business name.

I am not sure of the legalities of this...especially if there is a LCO in your town using the name Affordable Lawn Care. Anyone have a clearer understanding ?

Keith

Steve
01-23-2008, 10:55 PM
Keith,

Have you ever seen any large lawn care companies that had a name like affordable lawns or cheap cuts or something that promoted cheap prices in the name?

StartALawnCareBusiness
01-23-2008, 11:31 PM
Quote[/b] ]Keith,

Have you ever seen any large lawn care companies that had a name like affordable lawns or cheap cuts or something that promoted cheap prices in the name?

I ran a one month add in the Business Classifieds section of my local paper one month and I used Affordable Lawn Care as a description.

I believe the average age of my customers doubled that year.

http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/pointlaugh.gif

Keith

FourSeasons
01-23-2008, 11:31 PM
i heard a ad on the radio today for someone and at the end was - Affordable Excellenc in ...
I don't remember the rest. But thats a good way to put it.

Steve
01-23-2008, 11:32 PM
I am guessing though that it wasn't a good idea after all because you only did it for a month?