PDA

View Full Version : Business imagery

Steve
10-28-2007, 09:06 PM
We have talked in the past about imagery and business. I wanted to bring up something I thought was fascinating.

Take a heavy metal band for instance. Say this band Slipknot. Their imagery is pretty intense. When you visit their site, you could be looking at a website for the horror movie series Saw. It really creates an amazing visual feel to the band and to the music.

Now they certainly could do without the imagery as they have it today, but would it take away from their appeal?

It makes you think back to the band Kiss. Their songs were good yet simple but no one else had a look like theirs. They really stood out because of it.

Do you ever think about how you could use imagery to make your lawn care business stand out?

We talked about the concept of Pirate Lawn Care where the lawn care business employees would dress with a pirate theme. Have you thought of other ideas like this?

What's your view on musicians that use themes in their music and their wardrobe?

Do you think they benefit from it?

Steve
10-28-2007, 09:09 PM
Could such a band benefit from licensing their imagery to create a horror movie? Would that help build a larger awareness and interest in the band?

It makes you wonder, if that would work, what other things could you be doing to build up more awareness of your business?

Little's
10-28-2007, 10:24 PM
This band image reminds me of another group that has been doing the same for many year too. GWAR
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa31/jimmyg-s/GWARband.gif (http://photobucket.com)

Little's
10-28-2007, 10:25 PM
Take a minute and look at their website. VERY different.
http://www.gwar.net/

Steve
10-28-2007, 10:52 PM
HAHAHAH I have seen these guys before! They are quite comical! I don't know if I have heard of any of their music. I need to check that out.

What's your view on this band GWAR? Do you like or dislike them? What do you think of their outfits? How does it effect your interest in the band?

Little's
10-28-2007, 11:30 PM
I listened to them a lot when I was younger, not so much anymore, although when I hear one of their song I admit I turn it up! They have been around for many years, and are touring right now and have a huge cult following.

Steve
10-28-2007, 11:34 PM
Do you think the cult following is because they are different with the costumes? Could they have gotten the same effect without it?

Little's
10-28-2007, 11:42 PM
Probably not. There costumes really fit their music. Its funny seeing them being interviewed, cause they are never out of costume.

FourSeasons
01-20-2008, 10:59 PM
Quote[/b] ]Do you ever think about how you could use imagery to make your lawn care business stand out?

We talked about the concept of Pirate Lawn Care where the lawn care business employees would dress with a pirate theme. Have you thought of other ideas like this?

What's your view on musicians that use themes in their music and their wardrobe?

These guys don't have to present a professional image though to the community. They are in a way expressing themselves through all of that weird stuff and their music.
I would rather be seen with a professional theme or image than people mowing lawns in pirate costumes. That would draw alot of attetion though.

realhuntin
01-21-2008, 02:01 AM
I have to agree with Rob, these type of imagery would not work with our business, we all need to keep up the Professional Appearance, all these themes seem to drag us all down even further. Around here most have to fight to keep from being thrown into that Dumb Yard Mowing Guy Circle, so it is hard enough to get some of these guys to keep up the Professional Image. We are Educated, Professional, Business men and women with in the Lawn Care Landscape Service Industry and we should act, speek and present ourselves this way at all times. I dont agree with this theme thing at all, in no way shape or form. If you want to have some kind of theme to your company logo then by all means do it, but not costumes.

FourSeasons
01-21-2008, 01:08 PM
Tim-
What do you think about having girls mow in bikinis?
I think its great for how much attention it grew.
But I wonder if some "housewives" or any women looked down on this as exploiting women. You know how some women don't like these types of things.
But if he's real busy than the his idea worked out and thats good.
If people saw us mowing in theme costumes they might think we broke loose from the circus. lol

Steve
01-21-2008, 08:22 PM
You know it's funny we should be talking about this now. I just got an email from a new forum member Randy, owner of The Lawn Pirates LLC. and here is his slogan "We Treasure Your Lawn!!"

I just love that slogan!

realhuntin
01-22-2008, 02:23 AM
Quote[/b] (FourSeasons @ Jan. 21 2008,1:08)]If people saw us mowing in theme costumes they might think we broke loose from the circus. lol
Oh I get it on the circus thing!
I want people to know me, my company, and my rep, as THE #1 Professional Lawn Care Landcsape Service Provider in the Area, not the biggest joke. Sorry guys thats just how I see it.

Some of the News Reports were not so kind to the BIKNI Girls or the Company. They may have had some media attenchen but this isn't how I want people to remember me. Most people couldnt even tell you what the Companies Name is, who provides the service, they only know the Girls who mow in Bikini's.

Steve
01-22-2008, 05:05 AM
Quote[/b] ] I want people to know me, my company, and my rep, as THE #1 Professional Lawn Care Landcsape Service Provider in the Area, not the biggest joke. Sorry guys thats just how I see it.

I think this is a very good way of going about building a business. I see it as being holistic.

A lot of marketing is gimmicks and eye candy to grab your attention but ultimately you need a strong core business model or everything falls apart.

Quote[/b] ]Some of the News Reports were not so kind to the BIKNI Girls or the Company. They may have had some media attenchen but this isn't how I want people to remember me. Most people couldnt even tell you what the Companies Name is, who provides the service, they only know the Girls who mow in Bikini's.

This marketing idea was very much a boost of adrenaline. Sometimes it can be very helpful to push you quickly where you need to get but there is a downside to it too. You need to be able to ramp up quickly and then try and stabilize it.

Rob,

What is your view on the bikini lawn care idea now that we have discussed it a bit more?

FourSeasons
01-22-2008, 10:37 AM
Quote[/b] ]I want people to know me, my company, and my rep, as THE #1 Professional Lawn Care Landcsape Service Provider in the Area, not the biggest joke. Sorry guys thats just how I see it.

I agree 100%.

Quote[/b] ]Rob,

What is your view on the bikini lawn care idea now that we have discussed it a bit more?

I never saw it on the news or even heard of it until I saw it on one of the gopher shows. I don't watch tv to much.
This is the way I look at it though. If I was looking for a service provider I wouldn't want girls in bikinis mowing my lawn for a few reasons even though it was just a short summer thing-
They could get hurt so they might not be able to do as good a job as someone in proper attire.
They probably don't have much experience. Even if its just pushing a mower. (the girls)
It doesn't seem proffesional to me.
And if you were buying the service for someone else as a gift like i think was mentioned in one of the shows. Wouldn't that be kind of weird? What are you suppose to stand out there and watch the girls and get some kind of thrill.
I'd rather pay for someone to go to hooters or a strip club for that. Maybe thats a little off but i'm just trying to make a point.

So its good for all the attention and hes real busy. But id rather be in a parade or sponsor a team or something like that.

I don't think that would be the right kind of attention when a lot of women are making the decisions about things in some households about whether the landscape should be redone or not or grass cut.

Steve
01-22-2008, 10:53 AM
Well we definitely have a wide range of ideas we talk about on here. It's good that we all get to thinking!