PDA

View Full Version : Maintaining existing flower beds

Billy Goat
12-31-2012, 11:12 AM
In Maryland you need a license to design landscapes but what are the limits to maintaining landscapes like flower beds. My target goal is too cut lawns mainly but not to get too involved with maintaining of flower beds and such. Most of my yards will be small starting out but Iam sure some will have flower beds to maintain if requested. I do not mind doing mulch around trees and in the flower beds but is there a limit to what you can do with out a license? Replacing/adding mulch? Replacing/adding flowers, plants and/or small bushes/trees? Weed control? Just knowing the limits would help of what I can and can not do before advising the customer they need a licensed professional.

stevef1201
12-31-2012, 11:49 AM
Not sure where you live, but here I can replace plants, weed (by hand), trim shrubs, etc, with no special license, However anything but fertilizer application needs a pesticide license.

Steve
12-31-2012, 12:34 PM
Have you checked on your state or town's website to see if you need a license for such services? I'd figure they would have a list of when you need a license. Let us know what you find.

My thought is for planting flowers and maintaining a flower bed, that you wouldn't need a license, but it's best to double check to be sure.

dpld
12-31-2012, 04:23 PM
in my state you need to have a home improvement license to do any construction work like patio's, walls. walkways or anything that would increase the value of the property.
if you are just doing maintenance like seasonal plantings, mowing, clean ups, ornamental tree and shrub pruning, edging and so forth you don't need to have a license.

all the plumbers, carpenters, electricians and builders need it as well.
at the end of the day all is doing is providing the state another way to get some money off you.
all you need is a registered business name and insurance with a check for a couple hundred bucks and viola, you are a NJ licensed Home Improvement Contractor.
you don't have to have one clue as to what you are doing and there is not standards for ensuring competence other then building codes.
bottom line is in the state of NJ you can still get screwed by a home builder by him either ripping you off and not giving you what you payed for or by doing crappy work but you can rest assure it will be done by a registered and insured business.
in NJ, we like our thieves to be legit.

SECTLANDSCAPING
12-31-2012, 05:05 PM
In ct HIL is anything that is permanent. Yes mulch is considered permanent, so is retaining walls, garden containers, etc.

You need another license for spraying ferts and pesticides, treating lawns and trees, trimming trees over 16', and pest control.

turf&tree
01-01-2013, 07:13 AM
I know what my state/ city require. How could you not know what you're requires?
Don't be lazy, pick up the phone and make some calls.
How are we supposed to know what your city requires we don't even know where you live!

CHEESE2009
01-14-2013, 10:40 PM
I can almost guarantee that you require no special permits or licenses to maintain garden beds, unless you plan on using certain chemicals.

A permit/license for just pulling out weeds, tilling soil, and adding a layer of mulch or stone wont require anything.

If you plan on building an immovable structure (sometimes even a pond), that would usually require a permit. The city can be strict about altering ones property.

tairoylance112
01-29-2014, 09:42 AM
Using scissors or hand pruners, snip off flower stems just above a leaf or bud when they finish blooming to prevent them from forming seeds. Pick off damaged leaves.

acrajchel
01-29-2014, 10:59 AM
Here is what I have found, every dept of the government has a different answer or has no clue. As long as you can make a viable argument that you were not designing landscaping I think you should be fine. I would think you could trim shrubs (don't do any bunny rabbit sculptures, that would be design), weed beds, replace mulch, and replace flowers. I would not change the flowers to a new type of flower or change mulch either.

Then you are not designing anything at all. Just leave the creativity at home for that job, you are just the back work