PDA

View Full Version : Do i need a ENI number

JRB6250
12-30-2012, 08:38 AM
I am doing business as a DBA, and i don't have any employees, do i still need a ENI number ? Thanks, I would appreciate any help. P.S. I did go to the IRS website, and i cant understand if i need one or not.

dpld
12-30-2012, 09:31 AM
I am doing business as a DBA, and i don't have any employees, do i still need a ENI number ? Thanks, I would appreciate any help. P.S. I did go to the IRS website, and i cant understand if i need one or not.

i would gather you mean a fein # ( federal employer identification number ).

you don't have to have it but it won't hurt and the only thing that will change is if you don't have employees you will have to file a quarterly payroll report even if the amount is zero.
and if you do file that you had any payroll you better make sure you paid the taxes and have workers comp.

also, once you get a fein that will be the number you have permanently even if you go on to another business venture, they will only issue one per employer regardless of how many businesses you have.

JRB6250
12-30-2012, 10:31 AM
i would gather you mean a fein # ( federal employer identification number ).

you don't have to have it but it won't hurt and the only thing that will change is if you don't have employees you will have to file a quarterly payroll report even if the amount is zero.
and if you do file that you had any payroll you better make sure you paid the taxes and have workers comp.

also, once you get a fein that will be the number you have permanently even if you go on to another business venture, they will only issue one per employer regardless of how many businesses you have.

Thank you very much, I appreciate the help.

stevef1201
12-30-2012, 06:16 PM
I I did go to the IRS website, and i cant understand if i need one or not.

My Brother in law in a tax attorney and believe me when I tell that you aren't the only one that cannot understand anything that comes from the volumes of drivel that comes out of Washington.

Steve
12-31-2012, 11:23 AM
Keep us posted on what you decide to go with and why. I am sure this experience will help others who are on the fence about it.

Billy Goat
12-31-2012, 01:42 PM

I had the same question also. Saves me time and effort since I already have a FEIN from another business venture.

turf&tree
01-01-2013, 06:16 AM
Any ligitimate business will have one.