PDA

View Full Version : Walmart, Good or Bad for the economy?

Steve
01-18-2008, 05:06 PM
This is a very interesting article. I am glad there has been a study on this.

What's your take? Do you think Walmart is helpful or no in local communities?

Why Wal-Mart may just be good for the U.S. (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22719054/) - It may surprise or even infuriate critics, but a new study finds Wal-Mart benefits rather than harms the American economy.

That's the conclusion of a report just released by the Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, which studied the "Wal-Mart effect" for 89 counties in its region over the past two decades. The study shows that between 1985 and 2003, personal income, overall employment and retail employment grew faster in counties with a Wal-Mart than in those without one.

FourSeasons
01-19-2008, 12:23 PM
Thats interesting becuase most believe its the other way around.

Steve
01-19-2008, 06:35 PM
Quote[/b] ]Thats interesting becuase most believe its the other way around.

Isn't it fascinating that is the average view, yet everyone seems to shop there?

mndlawn
01-19-2008, 10:50 PM
They are trying to build one in our small town, if it goes in the whole town will close down. Bad for small towns and businesses.

FourSeasons
01-20-2008, 01:22 AM
Quote[/b] ]They are trying to build one in our small town, if it goes in the whole town will close down. Bad for small towns and businesses.

I don't think thats true for every area though.
They built a couple new ones in my area and with them also came little strip malls for smaller businesses. In the same parking lot.