PDA

View Full Version : Can only do so much without a license

Billy Goat
12-12-2012, 04:05 AM
In Maryland as far as I know you do not have to have a license to cut grass. As far as I researched, you need a license for just about everything else like fertilizing, spraying, cutting down trees, landscape and hardscape designs, etc. Most of us Iam sure we can do most to all these without a license but the fear of getting caught is the concern. Fines are high and not worth the risk when starting the business.

General lawn maintenance is fine for me starting out but what do i do when a customer needs something done that requires a licensed professional?

willshome
12-12-2012, 06:27 AM
I sub out a lot of work. Not just because of licensing but also insurance and what I am setup to do (fast and at a profit).

bruces
12-12-2012, 07:27 AM
have you thought of obtaining the licences ?

stevef1201
12-12-2012, 07:38 AM
General lawn maintenance is fine for me starting out but what do i do when a customer needs something done that requires a licensed professional?

The truth is most of us can do everything that a customer wants, but; A licensed professional has something most of do not have. Training, honest to God training. They also have the experience to take a customers vague ideas and make them into a beautiful project. the other thing they have that most of do not have is the very high liability insurance so that if something is done wrong and someone gets hurt in a year or two they are covered. I do not the money to pay for a million dollars in liability insurance so I don't spray. I don't have the experience or the insurance to do a large landscaping job. I don't have the plumbers license to do irrigation. I do however know people in those fields, and subcontract that work to them, and make 10 percent on each contract. Wow talk about nice, I get the income and do none of the work, pay none of the building fees, pay none of the workers comp. It's win win win, I win, the customers wins, and my friends win.

Steve
12-12-2012, 02:57 PM
Have you considered building a local network of contractors that can perform different tasks you currently do not? Then you can refer them jobs that pop up and potentially, they can refer you jobs they don't perform.

Billy Goat
12-13-2012, 05:14 AM
Thanks all for the good advice. Sub out work should really help when needed. Most of my work will be in Maryland, Anne Arundel County so if anyone with a license on this forum is interested in side jobs let me know.