PDA

View Full Version : Marketing former clients?

TurfWerks
12-10-2012, 11:34 AM
Just a quick question. I left a lot of long time clients with a former employer about a year ago while I started up my own business.. Does anyone have suggestions about approaching these customers to get their business? I do not have a no compete, but I don't wanna sound tacky or desperate either...

Any suggestions of ideas are appreciated...

As of now Im thinking a business card and maybe a small note that says Miss Me? and let them know where I am if they would like service...

willshome
12-10-2012, 12:19 PM
I would not target his customers, do you really need to start a war. if you go out of your way to take his lawns they may do the same thing but someone that is fully set up can handle doing a few lawns at cost just to drive you under.

I would market neighborhoods that you like with door hangers if a few of the houses are his that's ok

Sprinkler Buddy
12-10-2012, 12:30 PM
Just a quick question. I left a lot of long time clients with a former employer about a year ago while I started up my own business.. Does anyone have suggestions about approaching these customers to get their business? I do not have a no compete, but I don't wanna sound tacky or desperate either...

Any suggestions of ideas are appreciated...

As of now Im thinking a business card and maybe a small note that says Miss Me? and let them know where I am if they would like service...

Those weren't ever your clients, they belong to your former employer. No compete or not, it's bad business to target them. They will find you through the grape vine if they become unsatisfied with your former employer.

It will also lead to some of them telling your past employer what your doing if you decide to take that road. Possibly damaging your reputation when the word gets around. As you know, all of us lawn guys tend to talk to each other now and then.

It is tacky and sounds desperate, that's what I would think if I were the potential customer receiving your card and note. Just my 2 cents, the choice is yours. :-)

Steve
12-10-2012, 02:15 PM
I think it would be one thing if you sent out a mass direct mail campaign and everyone in your area got your marketing material, but it might really cause you problems if you target your previous employer's customers.

Have you been doing much marketing since you started your business?

TurfWerks
12-10-2012, 04:13 PM
Yes actually they were my clients.. I carried them through 2 different companies.... The only reason they switch from one company to the other is bc they wanted to stay with me..

TurfWerks
12-10-2012, 04:21 PM
Just so we understand.. Im looking at 15 or 20 customers I personally brought to the company bc they wanted to stay with me bc of our history and my service to them.... If I wanted to hurt him I know his client list and I would do so, but Im not that guy.. I just wanna go to these customers and offer my svcs to them if they so choose..

TurfWerks
12-10-2012, 04:22 PM
That's what I working on now is some sort of marketing..

LawnBoy0311
12-10-2012, 06:33 PM
If you already know your answer, then why did you ask for suggestions or responses???? Seems to me like your pretty quick to defend why you should market to them.

Good luck with it.

TurfWerks
12-10-2012, 10:06 PM
I asked for ideas for approaching them.. not if I should or not..

SECTLANDSCAPING
12-10-2012, 10:21 PM
Just so we understand.. Im looking at 15 or 20 customers I personally brought to the company bc they wanted to stay with me bc of our history and my service to them.... If I wanted to hurt him I know his client list and I would do so, but Im not that guy.. I just wanna go to these customers and offer my svcs to them if they so choose..

If that was the case, why didnt you start back then? None of us started with 15+ clients.

Steve
12-11-2012, 02:35 PM
If you just want to flat out tell those 15 or 20 customers you are now in business for yourself, then why not knock on their doors and talk to them? It would be the most direct method.

I am thinking this is not going to be a good way to go though and that it would be better to not target them, but ultimately it's up to you how you want to handle this.

Keep us posted on what you decide to do.

Cashin H&P
01-04-2013, 07:33 AM
Really good way to get a really bad reputation. What happes when you need help because a mower goes down? are you goiing to call this guy and say ahh hey can you mow a few yards for me? The he is going to give you a big eff you! In this business its all about net working, yes he is your compitition, but its noce to have freinds you can count on in a pinch.

TurfWerks
01-04-2013, 12:22 PM
I decided I am blanket hanging door hangers on those neighborhoods I want and leaving a personal note on the customers I know with the door hangers.. so far working great..

Ive always been taught develop personal relationships bc its easy for someone to fire xyz company, but harder to fire Ricky Smith the kid that takes care of my weeds.. bc they have a name and a face..

Im not talking taking the guys whole customer list, Im saying these particular customers are customers Ive babied for 15 years and I just want them to know where I am if they would like to switch..

LawnCareMan280
01-04-2013, 03:35 PM
If that was the case, why didnt you start back then? None of us started with 15+ clients.

I only started with three and still have those three. This spring I am going to talk door to door to get more customers.

SECTLANDSCAPING
01-04-2013, 04:45 PM
I only started with three and still have those three. This spring I am going to talk door to door to get more customers.

Well when you do, dont tell them your the biggest, best and been doing it for 12 years. Introduce yourself, tell them you live down the street, and offer your service. You can even ask whats a fair price to charge? You will be surprised when most say triple of what you been charging.

Cashin H&P
01-04-2013, 05:39 PM
We all know that he will be the biggest and the best next year....

Steve
01-07-2013, 12:14 PM
I decided I am blanket hanging door hangers on those neighborhoods I want and leaving a personal note on the customers I know with the door hangers.. so far working great..

Keep us posted on how it all works out.