PDA

View Full Version : review my post card

zippy-phil
12-07-2012, 06:51 PM
Please review my post card. I am open to some changes.

zippy-phil

Steve
12-10-2012, 01:55 PM
I think that design is very creative and is targeting a potential customer base that is tired of having unreliable lawn service. Nice work on that.

A suggestion I would have is to add an expiration date to your coupon. That way you don't have people calling you to use them after you have moved on from this offer.

Also, maybe add an email address?

How do you plan on distributing them?

Organic Ken
12-11-2012, 12:45 AM
Great idea, catches your eye and you can't help but read it! I think I would leave off the discount coupons. Your message is (and its a good one) that you have superior service and reliability and that's why they should call you. the coupon just says "I'm desperate for business so I'm cutting my price" and it cheapens your image, confuses your message.

zippy-phil
12-11-2012, 06:59 AM
Thanks for the compliments. I am ordering 5K of these and will be sending them out with EDDM. The back of the postcard will have a black an white book print too as an attention grabber.i got a quote from lady printing last night. Ok so to remove or edit the coupon, that is the question. I am also starting to work with a radio station that has discounts on local business. This radio station is like the groupon works. So i will be offering 3 levels of service, small medium and large. ( $25,$50, $75) the radio station has a large following.

Zippy-phil

willshome
12-11-2012, 07:42 AM
How many new customer do you think you can handle? If you do all 5,000 flyer and radio you may get a lot of calls just make sure you can handle that much growth.

cuttingedgeron
12-11-2012, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the compliments. I am ordering 5K of these and will be sending them out with EDDM. The back of the postcard will have a black an white book print too as an attention grabber.i got a quote from lady printing last night. Ok so to remove or edit the coupon, that is the question. I am also starting to work with a radio station that has discounts on local business. This radio station is like the groupon works. So i will be offering 3 levels of service, small medium and large. ( $25,$50, $75) the radio station has a large following.

Zippy-phil

5,000? That is crazy and it will cost you a bunch. :eek:

willshome
12-11-2012, 02:25 PM
5,000? That is crazy and it will cost you a bunch. :eek:

most of the time it's like $99 printing and like $60 shipping

Steve
12-11-2012, 03:47 PM
This radio station is like the groupon works. So i will be offering 3 levels of service, small medium and large. ( $25,$50, $75) the radio station has a large following.

How will you be tracking your marketing to know if you are getting calls from your postcards or if they are from the radio ads?

cuttingedgeron
12-11-2012, 05:54 PM
most of the time it's like $99 printing and like $60 shipping
How is this possible with eddm? $150 for 5,000 flyers with postage paid????

zippy-phil
12-11-2012, 07:10 PM
OK 5000 flyers @$366 shipped, plus the postage. I will start off sending 500-1000 out per time. I read about sending all 5000 out, not a great idea,but if you can do then go for it. The radio station is really different. The station works as a discounter of local good and services, computers, half price tickets to the zoo, $10 gift card to restaurant (restaurant specific, usually local) We just bought tickets for a zoo that usually cost $24/ person for $12/ 2 people, and other deals like that, in the past the station has also offered house cleanings, oil changes etc. The stations area is extends out of my area but I can choose where to offer my service.

My plan of action would be this;

Price would be fixed ($25, $50, $75) small, medium and large yards
Services would be the same across the board, mowing, blowing, weed eat.
edging would be case by case, if it's not SUPER over grown it would more than likely not take long to do, so I would go ahead and do it. this should never be told to the customer, here's why, they think they are getting something extra for free, if the customer has bad edging problems then there might be an additional charge. This still could be done for no charge if you want.

The stations audience is really honest and true, no scams.

The customers that buy the package (choosing small,medium and large) $5,$10,$15 gets paid from the customer to the radio station, radio station gives them a certificate to give to me and the balance paid to myself when I perform the service. This is how the station already operates to get paid.

willshome....tell me where I can find that price!

I also advertise Paypal. I don't care what anyone says I love using Paypal, it might cost you 2.89% but you EARN 3% back if you just use the credit card they give you. Some of my customers love it because then if they use a credit card to pay they might also get miles or points.

I only give out email address right now to customers who use paypal. I will get another email set up if and when i get a website.

coupons: expiration date OK, taking them out all together because it makes you look desperate? I don't agree with that 100%. Here is my response, I keep the coupons there putting in the expiration date of 02/18/2072, at which time I will be 100 years old. LOL

I got the inside word today that a big apartment complex will be getting rid of a big corparte lawn care company. They need me to submit a bid. I have never had to submit a bid. I am pretty sure there is a bid form on this site though.

more updates later,
zippy-phil

Steve
12-12-2012, 01:02 PM
They need me to submit a bid. I have never had to submit a bid. I am pretty sure there is a bid form on this site though.

Have you talked to them yet to see what services they want provided? They should give you all the necessary information so you can bid on the job. You may also want to ask them why they are looking for a new company and what the last one did wrong, so you can learn from their mistakes.

Keep us posted on how this goes and your radio advertising experimentation.

I will start off sending 500-1000 out per time. I read about sending all 5000 out, not a great idea,but if you can do then go for it.

What is your strategy with this. Do you ultimately send out the 5000 pieces to 5000 different homes or do you send them to the same 500-1000 homes? How often will you send them out?

zippy-phil
12-12-2012, 05:00 PM
Have you talked to them yet to see what services they want provided? They should give you all the necessary information so you can bid on the job. You may also want to ask them why they are looking for a new company and what the last one did wrong, so you can learn from their mistakes.

Keep us posted on how this goes and your radio advertising experimentation.

What is your strategy with this. Do you ultimately send out the 5000 pieces to 5000 different homes or do you send them to the same 500-1000 homes? How often will you send them out?

I have the inside track on this property because of a friend. The property manager needs the bid because of corporate offices. I just have never submitter a bid. I don't even know what a bid looks like.

I am going to spread the flyers out to the area I want work in. I may send another batch to the same people after that.

I went to the Town office yesterday and got my business licence, cost me a whole $50/yr. I found out my car insurance offers business liability insurance. I will need this if I want that big job.

Steve
12-13-2012, 12:38 PM
This is all good news! Keep us posted on how it all goes.

zippy-phil
12-29-2012, 10:49 PM
I was thinking of changing the design now. I want to make sure I have added the service of pressure washing too. I only have a 2700 psi washer right now, but there always seems to be a decent deal on craigslist to upgrade to a bigger model. I would ultimately like to clean drive thru and gas stations. I am now also seeing advertising leaf clean up. I want to save as much as I can on printing. maybe I should only buy 1000 at a time and have 2-3 different main topics? (pressure washing and lawn care on one and another advertising pressure washing alone (this one more towards commercial proprieties) Maybe I could get away with 2 designs. Thoughts?

Steve
12-31-2012, 12:17 PM
maybe I should only buy 1000 at a time and have 2-3 different main topics?

I would think this might be a better option. It would allow you to experiment a bit with your marketing and see which services give you a better return on your marketing dollar. You just never know which it will be in your area until you try.

Then once you find something that works the way you want it to, you can scale it up.

Keep us posted on what you decide to go with.

zippy-phil
03-08-2013, 10:28 PM
So instead of spending money with mailing post cards I have been using the "grass seed campaign".

Cost without fuel

$3.50 multicolored paper (red, bright green, blue, orange)@Walmart
Laser printer
20 LB bag of Rye grass seed $18.79
5 boxes of 50 count $1 zip lock baggies $5
1/3 (or less) of a cup of seeds
I fit 8 "Sprinkle these seeds where your lawn...." on each sheet of paper then use a paper cutter.

each bag of seed has yielded around 300-310 bags of seed to pass out.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/superferret420/20130308_221838_zpse0f103ba.jpg

My phone has started ringing, only a few more using this method, however the season is upon us.

Zippy-Phil

Grass Doctor
03-09-2013, 08:06 PM
So instead of spending money with mailing post cards I have been using the "grass seed campaign".

Cost without fuel

Laser printer
I fit 8 "Sprinkle these seeds where your lawn...." on each sheet of paper then use a paper cutter.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/superferret420/20130308_221838_zpse0f103ba.jpg

My phone has started ringing, only a few more using this method, however the season is upon us.

Zippy-Phil

kool zippy glad to hear your hard work its starting to pan out, your flyer its very friendly too

aduttonater
03-10-2013, 12:32 PM
I've seen the bag approach but the people don't give the potential customers seeds (Which is a great idea).

The bags I see have a rock in them along with a flier of the services. The rock keeps the bag from flying away and also allows the person handing them out to throw them from their vehicle.

I haven't done this though because I see it as littering the peoples' yards.

Steve
03-11-2013, 02:38 PM
Very very creative! How are you passing them out? Are you going door to door and knocking? Or do you leave them on the step?

Also, do you give the customer instructions on how to use the seed in your marketing material?

brian'slawncare
03-11-2013, 08:14 PM
i found one of these on my driveway last week, only it had a few pebbles in to weigh it down. I like the idea of seed.

zippy-phil
03-12-2013, 12:28 AM
Thanks for the comments. I got 2 calls more calls today. lol! I am driving slow though neighborhoods and pitching them out the windows like a paper boy pro! I have been working hard. I got excited when one person called and told me the "other guy" who was doing their lawn stopped doing lawn service all together. I now have the potential of picking up 5-7 MORE now knowing this. I already asked the customer who else to contact.

lov2mow
03-12-2013, 07:38 AM
it takes many mailings for people to notice. what i have done is to drive around and find the area you want to target get the addresses and mail to those homes every month. you will see it takes a couple of months for people to respond. but once it starts it just takes off.

djlandscaping06
03-12-2013, 10:01 AM
Please review my post card. I am open to some changes.

zippy-phil

Very nice! Only suggestion I have is that I don't know that I would use gardener. We are lawn and landscape service providers not gardeners. I would use something like, is your lawn service provider missing! Just my opinion!:)

Steve
03-12-2013, 12:39 PM
Do you think people would put more value in it if the marketing material was placed at their door step?

Would it be worth while experimenting in certain neighborhoods to do it that way and see if you get more calls because of it?

cutnuplawnservice
03-15-2013, 08:42 AM

Cost without fuel

Laser printer

Zippy-Phil

I absolutely love this idea! Would it be ok to use your idea? What does the flyer in the bag say? What if I placed one of my business cards in the bag too?

zippy-phil
03-16-2013, 07:15 AM
4 more calls since my last posting.

Steve
03-18-2013, 12:42 PM
How is this marketing method now comparing to others you have experimented with as far as responses go?

zippy-phil
04-12-2013, 11:26 PM
WOW ok so I have been busy. Yah know, I.m lazy. This should just be the only place I post anything. Someone asked what the saying was that I was using on my grass seed packets.

Sprinkle these seeds
where your lawn is bare
Give us a call when you need
reliable lawn care.

ADD YOUR OWN NAME & NUMBER
FILL SNACK SIZE BAGGIE WITH 1/3 CUP OF SEEDS

I got a few new calls with the latest batch I throw out. I thought it was around 400 bags but wife says 800 ish, either way I made new contacts in a decent area. I have now learned from one customer their old lawn guy quit at the end of the year. the customers already knew this so it was not a shock.(working on getting his contacts) So I got that customer, her mother in laws and her sister in laws house AND business location!

I also over the winter months met up with another successful lawn/ landscape company who will be farming more work to me! (big lot mowing, model homes,home builders!) I wish I met this guy 10 months ago!

I spammed out (not really spamed) but I sent my company contact info to about 15 REO companies at the end of last year, but I got 2 emails from Safeguard. I don't have high hopes with this but I will check it out.

I ordered magnets for my truck the Thursday before this post. They should be here Tuesday.

A guy picked up my card 5 months ago and finally called me 2 weeks ago, wanting a near backyard makeover. I set everything up, designed it all out. Customer wanted to have legit railroad ties installed all around the border of the fence. It looks GREAT! 15YD of top soil also added.

THE TIME IS NOW!

in fact I SHOULD BE BAGGING MORE GRASS SEED!!

READ THIS SITE.

TOP TO BOTTOM

WATCH YOU TUBE VIDEOS IF YOU HAVE TO

I have learned a lot in the past 8 months.

I did a pressure washing job for a customer and now she wants a deck made with the composite stuff.

I started last summer and I am around 35 regular customer, not including 4 that stopped during the winter months that have now remembered to call ME, and not some other guy.

Every customer loved the idea of the grass seed BTW. Some got a kick out of it because it looked like the other type of grass...lol. That person got me 4 new ones too!

I also was able to get a 48" ex-mark pioneer this year.

QUESTIONS?

Steve
04-15-2013, 11:26 AM
That is fantastic! Will you be redistributing your flyer and grass seed to the same houses again some time this year or what are your future marketing plans as the season gets under way here?