PDA

View Full Version : New Member

cbuis
12-05-2012, 08:54 PM
Hello All,
I am Cbuis and new to the Gopher Forum. I started my lawn care business this year from a conversation at the dinner table one evening. I was talking to my 30 year old son about how I have always wanted to start my own lawn care business. He responded, DAD, Let's do it and I'll help you! Within two weeks I had convinced my wife it was a good thing and got the green light, haha. That weekend my son and I researched the necessary equipment needed. The following week I purchased a trailer, a zero turn, a walk behind, a push mower, two string trimmers, a leaf blower, chain saw, & some misc. hand tools. Oh yeah, and a used truck to pull it all! Rigfht or wrong I bought everything new but the truck. I live in the Kansas City are on the Kansas side and am focusing my business in Johnson County Kansas. I would welcome any advise that you might offer to help me build my business and reach out to prospective clients. I have been a salesman all my professional career so speaking to people is what I do. thanks!

SECTLANDSCAPING
12-05-2012, 11:26 PM
being this late in the year you didnt have to buy everything now. I wouldve waited till spring for the trailer and ztr, unless buying used since the prices are low in the offseason. You really didnt need the walkbehind and ztr to start. You couldve made it with either one. Theres no telling if your biggest yard would be a 1/8 of a acre. If anything I wouldve put my money on snow equipment at least youll see some return soon.

The other thing is you invested a lot in lawn mowing already. Its one of the lowest profit services that we offer. I wouldve put money into backpack blowers and a nice pressure washer.

LawnBoy0311
12-06-2012, 06:30 AM
I have no idea about how good you are at sales, or anything else you do. But by reading your post, it sounds like you jumped in too quick and too fast. The equipment will come over time. Start off slow, and add to your "tool box" as you grow.

I wish you the best of luck, hopefully you'll get a nunch of great clients. Just make sure they pay on time....I'm fighting with a few now over that.

Steve
12-06-2012, 03:23 PM
Welcome to our forum and congratulations to you.

What kinds of things are you doing so far to get the word out about your new business?

ringahding1
12-07-2012, 11:03 AM
Well you are equipped and ready to work! How many clients do you have?

cbuis
12-07-2012, 06:26 PM
Hey All, let me clarify something before you all bury me for my decisions, haha! My dinner table conversation took place in March of this year and I started my business in April. So, I had one season almost with my equipment. As the season progressed this year I did question if I really needs all I bought but in the end it all was used and I was very happy I bought new equipment. It insures more reliability and I can tell you it got me some business. It's part of maki g the right first impression and prospective clients noticed the quality of my equipment. As I said, the only used item I purchased was the truck. We had a drought this summer in Kansas City so mowing stopped for a out two months. If not for that I would have almost paid for all my equipment the first season except for the truck. I can tell you that commercial accounts seem to be the way to go. They are mostly not there when you work, you do your job, you get paid. I have caught myself doing extra thing for free though trying to make my customers love me! Maybe too much...

Steve
12-10-2012, 01:47 PM
I have caught myself doing extra thing for free though trying to make my customers love me! Maybe too much...

Have you found that it brought you positive word of mouth or referrals from your current customer base?