PDA

View Full Version : New Guy Needs Advice

dandavis193
12-05-2012, 12:30 PM
I retired about 1 year ago. I want to start a business helping people take care of and clean up their yards to include mowing, clean up, gutters, fertilizing, weeding and aerating. Im trying to learn as much as I can about marketing, pricing and start-up costs. Any information would be greatly appreciated. I am also new to this forum and not quite sure how to make it work so I hope this message gets out there. Thanks for having this forum.

LawnBoy0311
12-05-2012, 06:15 PM
Congrats on retirement! Your questions are very open, so the more specific the better. What kind of equipment do you need? (This would depend on yard sizes). Are you buying new or used? Check your state laws before doing fertilizers. I'd suggest the less the better for services you want to provide, take it slow and grow when your ready.

patrick6411
12-05-2012, 08:18 PM
Welcome to the forum. your message made it thru to us! Tell us a little more about what you are wanting. Where are you located?

SECTLANDSCAPING
12-05-2012, 10:36 PM
Start up cost is something you can control. Buy only what is absolutely necessary. As the jobs come get the right equipment to do it. In a way its like working for free but better then spending $500 on a piece of equipment you dont even use for 2 months. It will also let you invest in what your getting calls for and not what you think you might need.

Marketing is tricky. Every area is real different. I know people who swear by door hangers and then theres me who put out thousands with no responses. The one thing that works for everyone is a website and good seo.

Youll most likely need a license to fertilize and use weed killers. The total cost will be more then you will make in your first year. The fine for just advertising the service is $5000. So check local regulations.

Steve
12-06-2012, 02:21 PM
Can you get some business cards made and start handing them out? Letting everyone know about your new business is the way to go. Everyone you talk to or meet. Give them a card.

Also check around your area and see what some of the going rates are for the different services you want to offer. Check on craigslist and see what others are doing. Come up with an hourly rate and try to hit it with your bids.

Keep track of the size of the yards you mow and the amount of time it takes to mow them. As you go your bidding will improve. Experiment with the online lawn care estimation calculators (http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?p=43299#post43299) too. They will help you quite a bit.

Keep us posted on how everything goes.

dandavis193
12-07-2012, 11:33 AM
Thanks very much guys! You are great!! I am in Roseville, California. It seems like fertilizing is something I dont want to do. I think weeding is something I would like to do, but not with chemicals. It seems like aeration, etc. is of value to consumers as well. I think that marketing is key in the begining and keping start-up costs to an absolute minimum is key as well until one gets established.