PDA

View Full Version : Leaf/Debri loader opinions or wisdom

knsahara
12-03-2012, 12:18 PM
Hey Guys,
Been in the business now for about five years considering this year to buy a billy goat debri loader for the truck/trailer on the fence right now to pull the trigger right now. Looking at the mid-range unit with the Subaru engine. $2700 Just wondering what your guys expierence is with these things, Are they profitable?, worth it? ive seen some ads claiming make $500 /day

CHEESE2009
12-03-2012, 01:10 PM
It's one of those things we all would really like to have, but it all comes down to being able to justify such an expensive purchase.

It might take a little more time to pick up debris using other methods, but at the end of the day it doesn't make a real difference if you're a one man operation, and/or have only a handful of clients.

Side Note: What will you be loading debris into? Do you have a dumper, or just a truck bed with raised sides?

-

If you are like me, I would probably want to buy it just for the sake of having it. I believe once you have the tool, you'll find yourself more motivated to gather more jobs.

stevef1201
12-03-2012, 01:31 PM
If you are like me, I would probably want to buy it just for the sake of having it. I believe once you have the tool, you'll find yourself more motivated to gather more jobs.

Aint that the truth

willshome
12-03-2012, 02:00 PM
My loader makes my very good money in the fall. If you do a lot of fall cleanup then you need one, But I never buy a tool until I am losing money not having it. What about buying used?

SECTLANDSCAPING
12-03-2012, 02:12 PM
You have to get a big one if you do. I demoed a 14hp and it was to slow.

Theres only certain situations it works for. If you have yards you can blow to the curb with little hassle then its good. If you have to blow piles 60 ft or so or tarp and drag then all its really doing is picking them up for you. It only takes 2 seconds to throw a tarp in the truck and will actually take longer to suck them up.

lov2mow
12-03-2012, 06:22 PM
I had the smaller one, sticks and leaves get stuck all the time. this year bought the 18hp unit with 10" hose much better unit. But if you can afford it go to the 25hp unit, my friend just got one boy ill tell you it will take your pants off if your not wearing a belt. but the 18hp unit is just as good. dont buy anything smaller you will spend all your time unclogging it.

Chaz
01-01-2013, 12:59 PM
I made a leaf vacuum with my dump trailer, Which I can convert back to dump trailer use pretty easily.
Leaf Vacuum is a 2008 and has 16hp with electric start
The dump trailer is a 2003 Bri Mar, rated for 7k, brakes on 4 axles

I spent $1100 + $700 in bartered services for the dump trailer
I bought the vacuum with 2 hoses for $600
The 4' sides were probably about $200 to make

on the leaf vacuum side of things, I spend about $900 for the addition

but I still have the flexibility to use the dump trailer for everything else with the benefit of the tall sides to hold a lot of brush.

It can hold about 12.5 yards of material

I would advise to buy used, and be creative with it

Steve
01-02-2013, 10:58 AM
That trailer looks great! How long did it take you to build it all?

Would you do anything differently if you could rebuild it?

Chaz
01-07-2013, 12:36 PM
That trailer looks great! How long did it take you to build it all?

Would you do anything differently if you could rebuild it?

It took a while, I found the the vacuum on craigslist after going to see a couple "running" others that were pretty far away and then the guy can't start it :mad:

I was very happy when I found the vacuum for the price I found it for. probably had 6 or 7 hours searching for the vacuum of browsing CL, driving, etc.

The vacuum was built on a case that had a hitch mount, so I had a receiver welded onto the rear of the trailer, probably 4 hours into that

The wood sides and all probably had 3 hours in that.

I have more time getting materials and all for the build than i do in the actual construction.

The only complaint I have is having to remove the vacuum every time I dump the trailer.
I originally wanted to put it on the front of trailer to avoid this but wasn't a lot of room to do this and would be a lot of weight added to front of trailer

Steve
01-08-2013, 11:55 AM
Do you already have ideas on how you want to do your next trailer? Would you go with a bigger trailer etc?

Chaz
01-09-2013, 11:05 AM
Do you already have ideas on how you want to do your next trailer? Would you go with a bigger trailer etc?

I wouldn't do it differently, I really like how it's set up, it holds a ton of leaves and it was very cost effective!

The yards I do I typically drive in their yards to get the leaves, and this trailer is light enough that I can do it in my 2wd truck and not get stuck or leave ruts.

There is one thing I would change about the dump trailer come to think of it, It is a bit narrow(er) than the average dump trailer because the tires are underneath the bed which i do like but with the tires under it makes the center of gravity much higher so when it's full or has a heavy load and a stump on top of it all it tends to sway if you go too fast.

Steve
01-09-2013, 01:00 PM
This is all good to know because I am sure a member is reading this and trying to figure out which way they would like to go with a trailer they are planning on building.