PDA

View Full Version : Being dropped by a customer for a vauge reason...

pblawncare
12-01-2012, 09:22 PM
So I just got my paycheck for the month of November. Along with that, I get a letter stating that the customers yard (who is on two week rotation) looks horrible because there are leaves absolutely everywhere. The letter also states that the quality of service is the reason for discontinuation. While i've lost customers before due to financial matters, undercut by a competitor etc. this lady didn't even give me a forwarning, chance etc. it was straight out "leaves are all over my yard and it looks horrible, your service is no longer needed." I did call and leave a polite message asking to have an opportunity to discuss and try and resolve the issue.

My opinion: We are on two week rotation. her two week rotation did NOT fall on the week of Thanksgiving. We got a check with the letter of discontinuation dated on Sunday the 25th. I figure she was upset that her two week rotation did not fall on the week of Thanksgiving. we did NOT get a special request call, or asked to switch her yard to that week, like we've asked ALL our customers to do, so we assumed business as usual. (note: this is a year round 2 wk. rotation job priced at 2160 a year, or 90 dollars a service.

Thoughts, opinions, etc?

Cashin H&P
12-01-2012, 11:37 PM
So I just got my paycheck for the month of November. Along with that, I get a letter stating that the customers yard (who is on two week rotation) looks horrible because there are leaves absolutely everywhere. The letter also states that the quality of service is the reason for discontinuation. While i've lost customers before due to financial matters, undercut by a competitor etc. this lady didn't even give me a forwarning, chance etc. it was straight out "leaves are all over my yard and it looks horrible, your service is no longer needed." I did call and leave a polite message asking to have an opportunity to discuss and try and resolve the issue.

My opinion: We are on two week rotation. her two week rotation did NOT fall on the week of Thanksgiving. We got a check with the letter of discontinuation dated on Sunday the 25th. I figure she was upset that her two week rotation did not fall on the week of Thanksgiving. we did NOT get a special request call, or asked to switch her yard to that week, like we've asked ALL our customers to do, so we assumed business as usual. (note: this is a year round 2 wk. rotation job priced at 2160 a year, or 90 dollars a service.

Thoughts, opinions, etc?

I wouldnt sweat it, replace her with a better customer in the spring . If she didnt even give you a chance to do the work she is probably a PITA to begin with.

SECTLANDSCAPING
12-02-2012, 12:14 AM
It looks like the problem was she expected a leaf clean up for free. I get customers every year that call in november for a final mow. They expect me to drive over a 3" pile of leaves and who knows what with a 10k mower for grass cutting money? lol.

CHEESE2009
12-02-2012, 01:20 AM
Clients really REALLY want their yards looking perfect on any holiday, REGARDLESS if they will not be home or be hosting an event.

It's actually pretty sick, a little bit crazy if you ask me.

Thanksgiving is probably the best example; no one honestly goes out side, so why do clients pull their hair out, can they not simply wait for the day after?

Never understood it.

I get this a lot:
"It's my ____ birthday, can you mow my lawn early?"

... as if 5cm of grass (usually less) is really going to sabotage a birthday party... geez

SECTLANDSCAPING
12-02-2012, 08:47 AM
"It's my ____ birthday, can you mow my lawn early?"

... as if 5cm of grass (usually less) is really going to sabotage a birthday party... geez

Your forgetting that grass goblins love cake.

Sprinkler Buddy
12-02-2012, 09:51 AM
Sounds like she was just looking for an excuse, knowing the growing season is done and she doesn't want to pay during the Winter months.

dpld
12-02-2012, 10:01 AM

Thoughts, opinions, etc?

what would she expect when she only pays for every other week?

if you want your yard kept up with and neat as a button then you need to pay the piper and have the landscaper come weekly.

to ask me to come every other week is like saying i only want to pay you half of what you are asking.
unless it is a drought the grass grows everyday, the leaves in the fall drop everyday but i am supposed to do a months worth of work for two weeks worth of money?

people like that have no clue as to what they are asking and how @sshat they come off like and they are completely oblivious to that and never will understand why a landscaper is not gonna put them ahead of the weekly accounts.

its like giving a part time employee more benefits then the full time workers and the only difference is they are part time customers.

when i used to do residential i would have people call and ask me for a price and they wold say go ahead and do it, then i would cut the lawn and they would give me a check and say " maybe from here on out you can cut it every other week " and i would say, i am sorry for the misunderstanding but i only accept weekly accounts and with my schedule and weather delays it is too difficult to work part time accounts into the fray.

they either hemmed and hawed and said ok come weekly or they said they would find someone else and either way it gets me what i want, one more full time client or one less deadbeat looking for something for half price.

i don't know what region you are in but here in nj most peoples yards looked like crap this thanksgiving due to the storm sandy.
every yard takes 5 times longer to due as well as has five times the debris to remove and most guys that are either done or close to done by now still have a couple weeks to go.

i am usually done by now and have all my snow equipment ready to roll and i will still be working up to christmas.
the only positive is the clean ups have been pulling in double what they normally do.

between the downed trees and wires which cut off access to some locations for a week or two plus the access to fuel was a big problem and delayed things to even most recently with the little snow we got which was enough to cover the ground and stick around for a few days to delay work even further.
then the salt in the wound is every property is a mess and takes forever to clean up.

last years storms made it a horrible situation and this years storms made it a complete nightmare and if this is a sign of things to come for the future, i will be dreading the fall more then i already do.

Cashin H&P
12-02-2012, 10:06 AM
what would she expect when she only pays for every other week?

if you want your yard kept up with and neat as a button then you need to pay the piper and have the landscaper come weekly.

to ask me to come every other week is like saying i only want to pay you half of what you are asking.
unless it is a drought the grass grows everyday, the leaves in the fall drop everyday but i am supposed to do a months worth of work for two weeks worth of money?

people like that have no clue as to what they are asking and how @sshat they come off like and they are completely oblivious to that and never will understand why a landscaper is not gonna put them ahead of the weekly accounts.

its like giving a part time employee more benefits then the full time workers and the only difference is they are part time customers.

when i used to do residential i would have people call and ask me for a price and they wold say go ahead and do it, then i would cut the lawn and they would give me a check and say " maybe from here on out you can cut it every other week " and i would say, i am sorry for the misunderstanding but i only accept weekly accounts and with my schedule and weather delays it is too difficult to work part time accounts into the fray.

they either hemmed and hawed and said ok come weekly or they said they would find someone else and either way it gets me what i want, one more full time client or one less deadbeat looking for something for half price.

i don't know what region you are in but here in nj most peoples yards looked like crap this thanksgiving due to the storm sandy.
every yard takes 5 times longer to due as well as has five times the debris to remove and most guys that are either done or close to done by now still have a couple weeks to go.

i am usually done by now and have all my snow equipment ready to roll and i will still be working up to christmas.
the only positive is the clean ups have been pulling in double what they normally do.

between the downed trees and wires which cut off access to some locations for a week or two plus the access to fuel was a big problem and delayed things to even most recently with the little snow we got which was enough to cover the ground and stick around for a few days to delay work even further.
then the salt in the wound is every property is a mess and takes forever to clean up.

last years storms made it a horrible situation and this years storms made it a complete nightmare and if this is a sign of things to come for the future, i will be dreading the fall more then i already do.

To the OP, this is the best advive your going to get!

Steve
12-03-2012, 02:39 PM
Would you like to call her again and see if you could get her on the phone to explain your position or do you feel better off moving on from her?

LawnBoy0311
12-03-2012, 06:09 PM
Don't worry about it. I got almost the same exact thing a few weeks ago. Letter in mail with check, lawn looks like crap, you didn't pick up my leaves, etc. Let it go and move on. These people have NO COMMON SENSE! With her gone (mine was a lady too), it'll be less of a head ache to replace her with someone worth your while.

SECTLANDSCAPING
12-03-2012, 06:31 PM
I had a new account drop me when after cutting the grass. I removed 4 out of 6 bushes. The last 2 I needed a chainsaw and it started raining. I cleaned up and told him next week Ill bring the saw and finish off the bushes. A day before his cut he dropped me complaining that I didnt finish the job. Never got paid from this deadbeat and I have seen at least 3 different people doing his lawn. One of the times I showed up with the past due invoice while a guy was cutting and told him the deal. He said hes been waiting for a check for 2 weeks from the guy.

stevef1201
12-03-2012, 06:50 PM
I had a new account drop me when after cutting the grass. I removed 4 out of 6 bushes. The last 2 I needed a chainsaw and it started raining. I cleaned up and told him next week Ill bring the saw and finish off the bushes. A day before his cut he dropped me complaining that I didnt finish the job. Never got paid from this deadbeat and I have seen at least 3 different people doing his lawn. One of the times I showed up with the past due invoice while a guy was cutting and told him the deal. He said hes been waiting for a check for 2 weeks from the guy.

These deadbeats do this all the time. I would try and keep an eye on the property and let anybody who is working there what happened to you.

LawnBoy0311
12-04-2012, 02:06 PM
Those posts remind me of another customer I had....well....2 customers. I'll keep this as short as possible. Customer #1 calls and wants a quote. I give it to him, he says go ahead. I cut it, and leave a card at Customer #2's house. That night, customer #1 emails me and says he'd like to pay and stop service. His reason: "You cut my lawn too short". I cut it at 3.5".

4 days later, Customer #2 calls. She wants a quote. I give it to her, she says go ahead. The first month she pays, the 2nd month she doesn't. Half way into the 3rd month of having her, I stop cutting. By that time I had already left messages for her to call me, sent invoices again, etc. I got so fed up with trying to collect for another month or 2 that I sent a nasty letter. 4 days later I got a check and a hand written note: "I was out of town, please stop my service". She didn't realize I already did that?????? Her fiance and brother where there the whole time, and her brother paid me the first time! After those 2 deadbeats I refuse to advertise in that neighborhood.

Chilehead
12-04-2012, 05:46 PM
Don't sweat it. I've had a handful of clients like this over the years, and find they can be more trouble than what they are worth. It's better to pull a profit from those who value your services than break even/take a loss from anyone.

ringahding1
12-08-2012, 08:11 AM
Learn from this & attempt to stick with a weekly plan for all customers. Believe I know it is hard to pass up jobs when a customer is requesting bi-weekly services, but it will serve you & the customer best.

jjester1040
12-08-2012, 08:28 PM
Thats exactly why I pass on bi weekly accounts! I dont like people driving by and seeing it the second week looking shabby wondering who mows that yard?! I had this once mowing a lumber yard that insisted that it only needed it every 2 weeks or more and then I was needing every bid I could get so I did it and I was inside one day and someone was talking about how nice the yard looked today just being mowed and asked who the old mowing guy was because they didnt want to make the mistake in getting him.. People never seem to think maybe thats what you are getting paid to do! Now I just let the people go that want to haggle about my price and schedule.