PDA

View Full Version : Snow Plow Shopping

CHEESE2009
11-28-2012, 03:41 PM
It's always fun to look at snow plows, but not at the cost of owning one.

For those who have purchased a brand new snow plow, tell me of your experiences.

What brand/model?
Is it adjusted manually, or from the comfort of your truck?
Was it easy to assemble?
Did you require more parts/accessories to get it functioning?
How much did it cost you overall?

stevef1201
11-28-2012, 05:00 PM
Get a REAL snow Plow:

SECTLANDSCAPING
11-28-2012, 05:47 PM
I have ran all Fishers. The old speedcast type to the new minute mounts. I never had a issue with the old hydraulic speedcast plows. The newer MM blow through solenoids and luckily I havent had a pump failure yet.

Like a idiot I paid to get my first MM installed. I watched the guy do it and its as simple as pie. You drill 2-4 holes where your tow brackets are. Bolt in the ears. Then hook up the electrical. Its a simple solenoid, with a little relay center, the lights plug into the back of your head lights and wallah. You can get the wiring diagram from fishers website or even call and ask a question and theyll help.

It will cost $600-$1200 to install. It take 2-3 hours.

A new plow will run you $3500-$7000.

All 8ft fisher plows.

Bought a dump truck with plow installed. This had levers to adjust it.

Bought a minute mount plow with wiring for $1100. I paid $250 for the mount and $26 for a solenoid. $500 for install.... Fish stick to control.

Bought a complete minute mount for $2000. Installed myself.... Fish stick to control.

Naylor's Lawncare
11-28-2012, 07:48 PM
I've never bought a new plow.I just watch the craigslist adds when season is out.Always some person that does it for a year then sales there plow for half price or less.The plows know days are easy to install if you get the correct mount for your vehicle.The wiring just normally just plugs in line of your facory harness for lights and plow just hooks to your battery.I would rate plow installation on 1-10 10 being the hardest to install id say it is a 3. I have pictures of my plow on here and i only have eight hundred in it with only the pump that hasn't been replaced and every thing else is new.My salt spreader i only have four hundred in it.If you have to have a new plow check out CPW Centralparts.com they will ship new plow to your door.I can buy my parts from them cheaper than i can go to local dealer and get them.

dpld
11-28-2012, 09:19 PM
fisher is the best but just like anything they have found ways to use foreign made parts and cheap them up quality wise.
i used to help my friend in the winter who is the largest fisher dealer in the tri state area doing installs as well as salter's and such.

western and fisher are owned by the same people and they share the same electrical systems and pumps but obviously the plows and mounts are different but you really can not go wrong with either although i lean towards fisher.

meyers is just crapola, boss is ok but has a strange hydraulic system and is quirky, diamond blows and snow way is decent for a light duty plow.
fisher created the vee plow and any brand you buy in the vee plow you are buying a fisher because they got the patent locked down on that whole set up and they all but it from fisher and add their own hydraulics, electric and mounting system with the exception of western that uses the whole fisher system except the mount.

we actually loved the meyers because they kept us busy with repairs and we stayed open during the storms and the meyers guys used to line up in the parking lot.

it has been a long time since i did installs but to this day i still buy fishers.

Chaz
11-28-2012, 10:35 PM
Bought a used Curtis 8' snow pro 3000 this summer with the joystick controller for $750.

Going to install it soon.... unrelated long story on that

SECTLANDSCAPING
11-28-2012, 10:38 PM
DPLD,
forgot to mention Blizzard. This is another company fisher bought out. They made a hell of a plow. Extremely heavy and overbuilt. I think there only in the northeast.

http://www.blizzardplows.com/bd/img/_productimages/plow_power_3.jpg

Steve
11-29-2012, 05:29 PM
Bought a dump truck with plow installed. This had levers to adjust it.

Bought a minute mount plow with wiring for $1100. I paid $250 for the mount and $26 for a solenoid. $500 for install.... Fish stick to control.

Bought a complete minute mount for $2000. Installed myself.... Fish stick to control.

Out of all those experiences, if you were starting again, which plow unit would you go with and why? Also, would you install it yourself or have it installed?

Do you recommend any of the readers put a plow on one of their daily driver trucks or should they wait until they can afford a beater plow truck?

SECTLANDSCAPING
11-29-2012, 06:41 PM
Out of all those experiences, if you were starting again, which plow unit would you go with and why? Also, would you install it yourself or have it installed?

Do you recommend any of the readers put a plow on one of their daily driver trucks or should they wait until they can afford a beater plow truck?

I did them in that order. I would try not to buy a truck with a plow installed. The problem is finding the mounts and wiring used.

I would install myself. I watched it done and seeing that it was a cake walk.

The last part is difficult to answer because plowing will beat your truck up but at the same time you need the truck to be reliable. Whats the point of dumping thousands into a beater? Then another problem comes along and its to much to fix. You just throw away a ton of cash that couldve been repairs in your daily driver.

Steve
11-30-2012, 02:41 PM
I did them in that order.

Oh ok got ya on that. I didn't catch that at first.

Naylor's Lawncare
11-30-2012, 08:17 PM
I had a question for the guy who said meyer plow are crap.What was the most common part that broke on the meyer plow?I started out with a fisher plow that we nicked named the snoopy plow because it was every one first plow to start out with because it was cheap until you made enough money to buy a better one.I bet this plow went thru ten of my friends.I probaly logged 16 hours on repair on my first season with this plow.Not because it was a fisher.Then i went to a western loved it only thing i replaced was a motor.Then ive owned 3 or 4 meyers including this one and i love them because there the most common here.Before i bought my first meyer i did a little research and found out from are county highway department that if you put extra grounds on pump they didnt have problems with them at all.the only real reason ive owned this many because i used to change trucks like oil in a motor lol.And has any one bought a snow dogg plow.I want to buy another truck in spring and use my current truck as back up so i was looking at snow dogg plow for my next truck?And i truly believe plows are like trucks every company makes good ones just sometimes they break.

dpld
12-01-2012, 09:16 AM
DPLD,
forgot to mention Blizzard. This is another company fisher bought out. They made a hell of a plow. Extremely heavy and overbuilt. I think there only in the northeast.

http://www.blizzardplows.com/bd/img/_productimages/plow_power_3.jpg

i have seen a few of them and never used one.
they seem to take the design of the sno-way pump and head gear set up.

fisher has changed a lot over the years, some for the good and some for the worse.
the good is they are still a well designed plow but the bad is they used to make every component in maine and what was not was made in the USA and today they have a ton of stuff made overseas.
i visit my friend who is the fisher dealer and the boxes have chinese on them now.
the parent company that owns fisher and western seem to be making it where no matter what plow you buy you are buying one of their plows.
i guess like everything else in this country today when a business has great success they forget what got them there and they start worrying about being the big dog on the block.

dpld
12-01-2012, 09:33 AM
I had a question for the guy who said meyer plow are crap.What was the most common part that broke on the meyer plow?I started out with a fisher plow that we nicked named the snoopy plow because it was every one first plow to start out with because it was cheap until you made enough money to buy a better one.I bet this plow went thru ten of my friends.I probaly logged 16 hours on repair on my first season with this plow.Not because it was a fisher.Then i went to a western loved it only thing i replaced was a motor.Then ive owned 3 or 4 meyers including this one and i love them because there the most common here.Before i bought my first meyer i did a little research and found out from are county highway department that if you put extra grounds on pump they didnt have problems with them at all.the only real reason ive owned this many because i used to change trucks like oil in a motor lol.And has any one bought a snow dogg plow.I want to buy another truck in spring and use my current truck as back up so i was looking at snow dogg plow for my next truck?And i truly believe plows are like trucks every company makes good ones just sometimes they break.

the meyer pump is actually not a bad pump other then it has design flaws.
the fluid they use is a pain in the @ss and breaks down and causes a sooty sludge to build up in the bottom of the pump which in turn clogs the filter and gives the impression that the pump froze up on you.

the mount system is ridiculous as well with those silly tubes that you slide in that they claim is easy on easy off and if you don't plaster it with never seize prior to installation you will need a torch, chain and a good tree to hook up to get it off.

maybe you guys recycled the same fisher plow but fisher plows are not cheap and by far are the most expensive on the market.

i have never had a problem with any of the fishers i ever bought and western would be my second choice.

like i said, when we would stay open for emergency repairs 90% of the trucks coming in were meyers and truth be told every plow that came in regardless of who made it it was due to either 10% mis-use or 90% lack of maintenance.

the famous line from 9 out of 10 people was "it worked fine when i took it off last year".
i always found it funny that the easiest and cheapest thing you can service never gets a service until it breaks.
the best thing anyone can do to their plow to ensure it works properly is change the fluid often and do it right after you use it while all the particles are still suspended in the fluid before they settle back down to the bottom of the pump, especially on a meyers where the filter is located.

wat5150
12-01-2012, 06:19 PM
Fisher plows are great. The v plow is a pretty killer set up. Pretty much tops in the industry. I live in Maine and their plant is 15 mins away from where I live. Everyone that uses plows has them. I mean there are a few diamonds and boss here and there but fisher is king and getting bigger. They are trying to push their market to China and get people to buy them there.