PDA

View Full Version : Cold calling? Passing flyers/mailers? What works best?

shawnhonz
11-21-2012, 07:07 PM
Hey All,

This is my 2nd year in the lawn maintenance biz in Denver,CO and it seems a little slower than usual for me right now. I saved up and got everything I needed for plowing and snow removal, but the phone isn't ringing. I have ads on CL and most of the time I can keep my phone quite, but it seems like I need to do something else. I want to get some nice professional brochures done and I was thinking about stopping in a few businesses (small banks, restaurants and stores) and trying to sell some snow removal or possibly year round service. Has this worked for anyone or will it get me nowhere???? I have done work for large HOA's and they love my work, but now that mowing aeration season are done I need some more work. I realize it may be a little late in year to get snow contracts, but I wonder if stopping in and leaving some paperwork the "key decision makers" is a good idea. How about making "cold calls" to business or sending letters in the mail?????

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated

Steve
11-23-2012, 01:14 PM
but I wonder if stopping in and leaving some paperwork the "key decision makers" is a good idea.

If you have the time now to do it, I think it is a great idea. Find out who is in charge of that and see when they pt out bids for lawn care or snow removal. You may also find that their current service provider went a.w.o.l. and they need you right away.

How about making "cold calls" to business or sending letters in the mail?????

I don't think this will be as effective because it is easier to ignore it.

Are you also marketing to the neighbors of your current customers?

Keep us posted on how all this works out.

elbow300
11-25-2012, 04:10 PM
I think cold calling can be a great resource, but you must have time to do it right. You need to get in touch with the person that makes the decisions, and set an appointment. Nothing worse during a busy day to have some guy coming in unannounced trying to sell something. You need to have something to hand that person. A brochure would make a great impression, but if you dont want to make that investment, and least a business card and list of references. If you have an appointment, you foot is in the door. the rest is up to you and your skill as a salesperson.

CHEESE2009
11-28-2012, 06:20 PM
If it helps, most people wait until last minute to hire somebody.

Give people time to panic and make stupid decisions, and then they will call you.

-

It's a lot like lawn maintenance, people don't even remember having a lawn until it's up to their literally up to their knees. They also might try and do it themselves, then hire a cheapo for the first few weeks until they come to their senses and hire you to do things properly.

-

Tip:

Raise your prices, then hand out "discount cards" offering your initial charge.