PDA

View Full Version : Yes another new guy.

Essential lawn services
11-15-2012, 10:47 PM
Hi,
My name is Curt I started out snow plowing 6 years ago. I have been tossing up the idea of doing lawn services for a couple of years. So this last winter a new customer for snow liked my services and asked if I would bid on their lawn and landscaping. So I did and that's how Essential Lawn Services got born. I'm looking to have a little cash in the bank after year one. I think if you can make it in a tough economy it will make you that much better when things come around again. I joined because all of you on here have good advice. Have been watching the post on and off for about two years and some of it's got some good laugh's. Look I didn't ask what should I charge because I charge what I need to charge.
My question to you is how many of you have a full time job plus doing lawn care?
Also if you had a full time job and left that to just doing lawn mowing was it worth it?

Thanks Curt

SECTLANDSCAPING
11-15-2012, 11:48 PM
Plowing is better then mowing but its something to do with the rest of the year.

No job here.... I pay my employees better then I ever was paid working for someone else. Why go back?

Sprinkler Buddy
11-16-2012, 12:36 AM
Welcome to the forum. I have no doubt you'll make it good by your post here. Enjoy the ride.

LawnBoy0311
11-16-2012, 06:15 AM
I have a full time job. Its not too crazy though, I work about 40-45 hours a week. Sometimes 50. The best part about my full time job is a late start is 6am. An early start is 2:45am. So with working that early, I get off work early. I juggle the lawn care around, the only customers who know about it are ones that ask (a VERY small amount). The hardest problem with doing it is taking on more than you can handle. My full time job comes first, and lawn care 2nd. The reason I don't "go legit" is because we'll be moving soon. I've also liked to test the waters before diving in. Its worked out well, can be VERY stressful at times, but then again...anything can be.

Steve
11-16-2012, 12:34 PM
Hi Curt,

Welcome to our forum!

Organic Ken
11-18-2012, 05:42 PM
Welcome to the forum! Glad you already know what your worth, you'll do fine

Williams Simple Lawn Care
11-18-2012, 07:24 PM
Curt, I have another full time job, at least for a few more years. If you can get by with just the lawn care business and still support your family and enjoy life a little on the side, then go for it. I started my business because I am retiring in a few years and will need the income after retirement. Right now my primary job helps make ends meet with the lawn care expenses so all my equipment will be paid for when I retire. Hope this helps.

Essential lawn services
12-05-2012, 09:10 AM
Thanks for all the input.